Honorary Awards to O'Hara, Miyazaki, Carriere, Belafonte

For the films of 2014
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Honorary Awards to O'Hara, Miyazaki, Carriere, Belafonte

Post by Reza »

They had plenty of chances to honour Dietrich. They could even have honoured her once she became a recluse. After all they honoured Garbo in 1948 who was a famous recluse and who never came in person to accept the award.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

tootpadu wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The AFI does, however, have a strict rule that the recipient must show up. The only winner who didn't was Irene Dunne who became ill at the last moment. Even Katharine Hepburn showed up for that one.
I think you mean the Kennedy Center honors and not the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award, as neither Dunne nor Hepburn received one of those.
Yes.
tootpadu
Graduate

Post by tootpadu »

Big Magilla wrote:The AFI does, however, have a strict rule that the recipient must show up. The only winner who didn't was Irene Dunne who became ill at the last moment. Even Katharine Hepburn showed up for that one.
I think you mean the Kennedy Center honors and not the AFI Lifetime Achievement Award, as neither Dunne nor Hepburn received one of those.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Precious Doll wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Francesco Rosi (who is right up there with the greats of Italian cinema)

Nice that you remember him. He is, of course, very old today - but he and Ettore Scola (plus I'd say Lina Wertmuller and the Taviani brothers) are probably the last surviving directors of the golden age of Italian cinema (Bernardo Bertolucci, of course, already has an Oscar, and Dario Argento would never be considered for a Honorary Oscar).

As for Monica Vitti, yes, sadly the unforgettable star of L'Avventura is, for years now, a recluse in her villa near Rome due to Alzheimer.
One we both forgot: Ermanno Olmi
Oh yes - and he's from my city, even! Great director. But then I'm afraid he's completely unknown in America, even by those into movies...
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

From the Academy's website. There does not appear to be a rule preventing competitive winners receiving one of these as well from what I can gather:

RULE TWENTY-FOUR RULES FOR THE GOVERNORS AWARDS
I. DEFINITIONS
The Governors Awards include the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award, the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award and the Honorary Award. They are determined and bestowed by the Board of Governors.

II. NOMINATING AND VOTING PROCEDURES
A. Nominations for the Governors Awards shall be made at an annually designated meeting of the Board of Governors. Nominations for all three awards shall be conducted as a single procedure in which a nominee is named along with the award for which he or she is proposed.
B. When the nominations are closed, voting shall be conducted by secret ballot. The governors shall indicate their preference for a Governors Award by selecting one candidate from among the names listed. The candidate who receives a majority of the votes shall then stand for further consideration. If a tie occurs, a run-off vote between the tied candidates shall take place until a preferred candidate is determined.
C. If after the first round no candidate receives a majority of the votes, the two candidates with the lowest number of votes shall be eliminated and the remaining candidates shall stand for a second round of voting. If after the second round of voting no candidate receives a majority of the votes, the one candidate receiving the lowest number of votes shall be eliminated and the remaining candidates shall be voted upon. If, during any round of voting in which no candidate receives a majority, there are two or more candidates tied with the lowest number of votes, and if they do not comprise more than half of the entire field of candidates still under consideration, then all of those candidates who are tied with the lowest number of votes shall be eliminated. If those tied with the lowest number of votes comprise more than half of the remaining field, then the Governors shall vote by ranking those who are tied in order of preference; the resulting top vote-getter shall remain on the ballot and the others shall be eliminated. This process of elimination shall continue until a candidate with a majority is determined.
D. Once a single candidate has emerged, an additional secret vote shall take place to determine whether the particular award proposed will be conferred. A “yes” vote from a majority of the governors present is necessary to endorse the proposal. In the absence of a majority endorsement, no Governors Award will be given for the current Awards year.
E. A second and third Governors Award may also be presented, following the same nominating and voting procedures as described above. A fourth award may also be proposed and voted, but three- fourths of the governors present must endorse the giving of the award.

III. LIMITATIONS
A. No more than four Governors Awards may be presented in a given Awards year.
B. No more than one Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award and one Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award may be presented in a given Awards year. There is no such restriction on the Honorary Award.

C. No proxies shall be permitted in balloting for any Governors Award. No Governors Award shall be voted posthumously. No sitting member of the Board of Governors shall be eligible to receive a Governors Award. No individual shall be eligible to receive any particular Governors Award more than once.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:
There is no official rule that the recipient has to show up at the awards dinner but it is an unwritten one that is pretty much adhered to. They had hoped Godard would show up. If memory serves, he had sent word that he would but got cold feet.
Thanks for all your responses Magilla.

Sounds very Godard.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I did forget that James Earl Jones had already won. He was overshadowed by Oprah Winfrey who won the Hersholt the same year.

I'm unaware of a rules change denying winners of previous competitive awards although the last time they honored past winners was at the 2001 awards when Robert Redford and Sir Sidney Poitier were so honored.

As for Dietrich, I think by the time her name came up she was probably already a recluse.

There is no official rule that the recipient has to show up at the awards dinner but it is an unwritten one that is pretty much adhered to. They had hoped Godard would show up. If memory serves, he had sent word that he would but got cold feet.

The AFI does, however, have a strict rule that the recipient must show up. The only winner who didn't was Irene Dunne who became ill at the last moment. Even Katharine Hepburn showed up for that one.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:

Urgh! I love these out of contest quotes. I was responding to a post about Hollywood actresses. Of course there are non-Hollywood stars and directors both in and out of Hollywood who are deserving of Academy recognition. Max von Sydow certainly ought to have an Oscar. Werner Hezog, Ken Loach and Jeanne Moreau certainly must have supporters within the Academy. Harry Dean Stanton would be a nice gesture, though he probably wouldn't get a lot of support in the process. Gena Rowlands maybe. Terrence Malick perhaps. Catherine Deneuve, Emmauelle Riva, probably not, at least not until Moreau is honored. Belmondo, Delon, certainly not before von Sydow. Christopher Lee, why, because he's old? Burt Reynolds, never. Harrison Ford, for what, making more money than he deserves? James Earl Jones would be the more likely Star Wars veteran to be honored.

Albert Finney might be a popular choice if they could expect him to show up. If they can't get Doris Day to show up for an honorary award, maybe they can entice her with a humanitarian award. Debbie Reynolds would probably get more support for a humanitarian award than for career recognition. As for previous winners who are sometimes honored with a life achievement award, Clint Eastwood, Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, Vanessa Redgrave, Maggie Smith and Judi Dench would all seem likely candidates, but the trend in recent years has been away from honoring former winners of competitive awards.
James Earl Jones received an Honorary Oscar a couple of years ago but one can be forgiven for forgetting since they are no longer presented at the main ceremony.

Do people have to accept these? Godard received one and never went to receive.

I also think the Academy changed some rules and if you have won an Oscar you are now automatically ineligible for an Honorary one. Happy to be corrected on this.

As for Harrison Ford & Burt Reynolds, whilst I am no fan of either, making alot of money for Hollywood is as good as any reason. Without all that money we probably wouldn't have the Oscars.

I was also surprised to confirm for myself what I suspected that Marlene Dietrich never received Honorary Oscar. Her career was more worthy than the one nomination she received.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

ITALIANO wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:Francesco Rosi (who is right up there with the greats of Italian cinema)

Nice that you remember him. He is, of course, very old today - but he and Ettore Scola (plus I'd say Lina Wertmuller and the Taviani brothers) are probably the last surviving directors of the golden age of Italian cinema (Bernardo Bertolucci, of course, already has an Oscar, and Dario Argento would never be considered for a Honorary Oscar).

As for Monica Vitti, yes, sadly the unforgettable star of L'Avventura is, for years now, a recluse in her villa near Rome due to Alzheimer.
One we both forgot: Ermanno Olmi
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Many worthwhile names mentioned below who deserve the award. However, the Academy has it's own agenda otherwise many would have already won this honour.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

mlrg wrote:and don't forget Manoel de Oliveira, who turned 106 last week and premiered a new movie. After being honored at Cannes, Berlin, Venice, etc... the Oscar is the only award missing.
I doubt many Academy members are familiar with the work of Manoel de Oliveira. If they were to give him an honorary Oscar it would probably be for his longevity.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Precious Doll wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
I can't think of anyone who came to prominence after 1960 who deserves an honorary Oscar for never having received the real thing.
Oh there are many - after 1955, let's say... Max Von Sydow, Jeanne Moreau, Brian De Palma, SO many others...
There certainly are and Italiano just touched the tip of the iceberg with three of the most deserving. I would like to add Catherine Deneuve, Paul Schrader, Francesco Rosi (who is right up there with the greats of Italian cinema), Carlos Saura, Gerard Depardieu, Gena Rowlands, Harry Dean Stanton, Werner Herzog, Terry Malick, Nic Roeg, Ken Loach, Mike Leigh, Frederick Wiseman, Mrinal Sen, Emmanuelle Riva, Alain Delon, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jon Jost, James Benning, Harrison Ford, Burt Reynolds, Christopher Lee, Alexander Kluge as well as Jacques Rivette & Monica Vitti, who are both rumoured to be unwell with Alzheimers.

It is still rather stinging that the Academy never got around to giving well deserved career Oscars to the likes of Alain Resnais, Eric Rohmer, Chris Marker, etc. The Academy's 'Hall of Shame" is fuller then it's accomplishments.
Urgh! I love these out of contest quotes. I was responding to a post about Hollywood actresses. Of course there are non-Hollywood stars and directors both in and out of Hollywood who are deserving of Academy recognition. Max von Sydow certainly ought to have an Oscar. Werner Hezog, Ken Loach and Jeanne Moreau certainly must have supporters within the Academy. Harry Dean Stanton would be a nice gesture, though he probably wouldn't get a lot of support in the process. Gena Rowlands maybe. Terrence Malick perhaps. Catherine Deneuve, Emmauelle Riva, probably not, at least not until Moreau is honored. Belmondo, Delon, certainly not before von Sydow. Christopher Lee, why, because he's old? Burt Reynolds, never. Harrison Ford, for what, making more money than he deserves? James Earl Jones would be the more likely Star Wars veteran to be honored.

Albert Finney might be a popular choice if they could expect him to show up. If they can't get Doris Day to show up for an honorary award, maybe they can entice her with a humanitarian award. Debbie Reynolds would probably get more support for a humanitarian award than for career recognition. As for previous winners who are sometimes honored with a life achievement award, Clint Eastwood, Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, Vanessa Redgrave, Maggie Smith and Judi Dench would all seem likely candidates, but the trend in recent years has been away from honoring former winners of competitive awards.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Precious Doll wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
I can't think of anyone who came to prominence after 1960 who deserves an honorary Oscar for never having received the real thing.
Oh there are many - after 1955, let's say... Max Von Sydow, Jeanne Moreau, Brian De Palma, SO many others...
There certainly are and Italiano just touched the tip of the iceberg with three of the most deserving. I would like to add Catherine Deneuve, Paul Schrader, Francesco Rosi (who is right up there with the greats of Italian cinema), Carlos Saura, Gerard Depardieu, Gena Rowlands, Harry Dean Stanton, Werner Herzog, Terry Malick, Nic Roeg, Ken Loach, Mike Leigh, Frederick Wiseman, Mrinal Sen, Emmanuelle Riva, Alain Delon, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jon Jost, James Benning, Harrison Ford, Burt Reynolds, Christopher Lee, Alexander Kluge as well as Jacques Rivette & Monica Vitti, who are both rumoured to be unwell with Alzheimers.

It is still rather stinging that the Academy never got around to giving well deserved career Oscars to the likes of Alain Resnais, Eric Rohmer, Chris Marker, etc. The Academy's 'Hall of Shame" is fuller then it's accomplishments.
and don't forget Manoel de Oliveira, who turned 106 last week and premiered a new movie. After being honored at Cannes, Berlin, Venice, etc... the Oscar is the only award missing.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

ITALIANO wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:

Return to “87th Nominations and Winners”