Honorary Awards to O'Hara, Miyazaki, Carriere, Belafonte

For the films of 2014
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: Honorary Awards to O'Hara, Miyazaki, Carriere, Belafonte

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
I can't think of anyone who came to prominence after 1960 who deserves an honorary Oscar for never having received the real thing.
Oh there are many - after 1955, let's say... Max Von Sydow, Jeanne Moreau, Brian De Palma, SO many others...
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Eli Wallach was a fine character actor, but I wouldn't call any of his screen performances "iconic". Lauren Bacall's only iconic performance was in her first film, To Have and Have Not. Maureen O'Hara gave at least five iconic performances in How Green Was My Valley, Miracle on 34th Street , Rio Grande, The Quiet Man and The Long Gray Line. I do think, however, that the time to recognize her was while she was in her 70s or 80s and still sharp. Of course, then, there were still others such as Irene Dunne and Jean Arthur who went to their graves without even an honorary Oscar and Deborah Kerr and Angela Lansbury who were still waiting for theirs. Of the Golden Age stars still alive who might be so honored, only Doris day and Debbie Reynolds come to mind.

I can't think of anyone who came to prominence after 1960 who deserves an honorary Oscar for never having received the real thing. Nor are there any previous winners from the 1960s to the present that I can think of who have been under-rewarded.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Academy seems to be making an effort to pick performers who've never won competitive Oscars. This is clear from their actor selection the last few years. Fonda, De Niro and Hoffman are not going to get that kind of recognition soon. Especially since all of them have given up on being good actors (De Niro tries occasionally, but he also collects paychecks too frequently).

I'll grant you Bacall as being a major star, though her star ascended prior to the 1960's as well (as did Wallach's). I will not grant you Wallach. Wallach was a well known character actor, but he wasn't ever considered a "legend" in the typical sense. O'Hara, on the other hand, WAS considered legendary. She was one of the most popular actors of her period. She starred opposite many of the greatest names in cinema and often showed them up. Peter would be better at defending O'Hara, but to say she wasn't iconic or legendary is dismissive of her accomplishments and her stardom.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

I don't mean to rain on her parade...but Maureen O'Hara? Some of the folks honored recently, such as Lauren Bacall and Eli Wallach, are iconic/had many iconic roles in film history. I can't say that O'Hara reached those heights.

Time for the Academy to look away from folks whose stars ascended before the 1960s. Unless we missed someone (poor Angela Lansbury had to wait until last year) that I haven't thought of. Yes Jane Fonda, Robert Redford, Dustin Hoffman, et al, are still going strong. But at least they are relevant to moviegoers.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

mlrg wrote:all videos are up on youtube
And here in a continuous stream...

http://www.cinemasight.com/87th-oscars- ... rs-awards/
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

all videos are up on youtube
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This is a little better:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A constellation of stars gathered in Hollywood for an off-camera celebration of four stalwart film talents.

Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, Steve Carell, Kevin Costner, Mark Wahlberg, Sidney Poitier, Ed Norton, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chris Rock, Eddie Redmayne, Ron Howard and Hilary Swank were among the celebrities toasting the first Oscar winners of the season at the film academy's Governors Awards Saturday night.

Actress Maureen O'Hara, filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki, screenwriter Jean-Claude Carriere and actor and activist Harry Belafonte accepted honorary Oscars at the private dinner ceremony at Hollywood & Highland's Ray Dolby Ballroom.

Jessica Chastain, Warren Beatty, Octavia Spencer, Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, Robert Duvall, Robert Downey Jr. and Tilda Swinton, sporting a platinum faux-hawk, also attended the three-hour celebration.

Pixar chief John Lasseter presented Miyazaki with an Oscar statuette, calling the Japanese animator "the most original filmmaker to ever work in our medium."

Accepting the trophy, Miyazaki said through a translator that he considered himself lucky, adding, "My greatest luck is that I got to meet Maureen O'Hara today."

The 94-year-old O'Hara was introduced by Liam Neeson and Clint Eastwood, each of whom confessed to having a crush on the Irish-born beauty. Neeson described her as "one of the true legends of cinema" and "one of the most adventurous women who ever lived," explaining the actress was a pioneer in doing her own stunts on screen.

O'Hara came to the stage in a wheelchair and read a brief statement of thanks in which she acknowledged filmmakers Charles Laughton and John Ford, along with her co-star in several films, John Wayne.

When Neeson handed her the Oscar, she asked in disbelief, "What's this?!"

"I only hope it's silver or gold and not like a spoon out of the kitchen," she said.

Carriere accepted his Oscar from "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" director, Philip Kaufman. The French screenwriter lauded the many directors he's collaborated with over his five decades in film, saying, "They're always present, even today. When I'm working, I hear their voices."

Chris Rock and Susan Sarandon introduced Belafonte, who received the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award for his decades of activism for social justice.

"I'm not here to honor you," Rock said. "I'm here to thank you."

Sarandon called the 87-year-old entertainer "a real-life, flesh and blood hero."

Belafonte said he was moved by the recognition.

"To be rewarded by my peers for my work for human rights, civil rights and for peace... It powerfully mutes the enemy's thunder," he said.

He shared the honor with Poitier, whom he referred to as "my elderly friend."

"He redirected the ship of racial hatred in American culture," Belafonte said.

He spoke of Hollywood's progress toward telling stories that offer "deeper insights into human existence," such as "Schindler's List," ''Brokeback Mountain," and "12 Years a Slave," and film's far-reaching ability to influence popular opinion.

"Maybe, just maybe, it could be civilization's game-changer," he said.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences established the Governors Awards in 2009 to celebrate the annual winners of its honorary awards. Highlights from the ceremony will be included in the 2015 Oscar telecast.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Not much press coverage of the event so far. This was all AP had to say:

Academy presents early Oscars at Governors Awards

Associated Press
By SANDY COHEN
1 hour ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The first Oscar statuettes of the season were presented Saturday night at the film academy's Governors Awards

The Hollywood ceremony honors this year's recipients of honorary Academy Awards: Actress Maureen O'Hara, filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki and screenwriter Jean-Claude Carriere. Actor and activist Harry Belafonte received the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences established the Governors Awards in 2009 as an untelevised celebration of its honorary Oscar winners.

"It's special because it's an intimate evening," academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs said in a recent interview. "It's a chance for the academy to recognize the diverse talent that it takes to realize the dream of moviemaking."

She said the annual event is a favorite of the academy and the film industry because it allows a personal look into the professional lives of exceptional talents.

At the ceremony, O'Hara posed for a photo with Miyazaki, while Belafonte chatted with Sidney Poitier and Reese Witherspoon had a heart to heart with Jeffrey Katzenberg.

Jake Gyllenhaal, Marion Cotillard, Ron Howard and Pixar chief John Lasseter also turned out for the event.

The academy's board of governors, comprising representatives of all 17 branches, selects the honorary Oscar winners.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:Technically, no. The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award is not an Oscar. Even if it were, I don't believe honorary awards count toward EGOT.
It's a matter of semantics. "Oscar" is a euphemism not just for the Academy statuette but for the awards themselves. All honorary awards from the Academy were at first presented as plaques, not statuettes. Supporting awards were also plaques in the early years, later replaced by actual statuettes yet all these people were referred to interchangeably as "Academy Award winners" or "Oscar winners" at the time of their win even they weren't awarded a statuette. The Wikipedia EGOT page separates EGOT winners in competitive categories from those whose win in one may be a special or honorary award. We'll have to wait until after November 8th to find out if Belafonte is added to this distinguished list which currently has 12 "true" EGOT winners and four "qualifying" winners.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Still no Manoel de Oliveira....
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Good choices. Now I just wish they would move the award presentation back to the actual Oscar Ceremony.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Technically, no. The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award is not an Oscar. Even if it were, I don't believe honorary awards count toward EGOT.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Belafonte will now be a New ETGO winner...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:I can think of at least one person at this board who's going to be delirious with joy.
Poor Maureen. Let's hope she knows where she is and why she's there. She had to ask the audience how old she was at this year's TCM Film Festival.

How many of her old co-stars are still alive? Hayley Mills from The Parent Trap Ally Sheedy from Only the Lonely and Richard Thomas and Eric Stoltz from TV movies are probably the biggest names.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Five years in, and it seems like this has been a successful experiment. We continue to get deserving names recieving their overdue recognition, and without the pressure of filling time in the main broadcast, we get to see people like Carriere who are far from recognizible names but worthy none the less. Plus, although I miss the presence in the February show, it is nice they get a lengthier tribute in November and I love watching the clips they put online.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “87th Nominations and Winners”