Foreign Language Submissions

For the films of 2014
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Foreign Language Submissions

Post by Mister Tee »

There've been plenty of times in the past two decades when AMPAS deserved scorn for their foreign-language choices, but just after a run of A Separation, Amour and The Great Beauty seems an odd moment for it.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

ksrymy wrote:[
But AMPAS is just dying to let some mediocre French or Italian film through since that's in their comfort zone.
Well... MOST of the Italian movies which won or were nominated for the Best Foreign Film Oscar were actually great, and not even that comfortable (including the last one)... But one should know film history of course, and not just Babe and Toy Story...
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

anonymous1980 wrote:Norte, The End of History is the Philippines' Oscar pick.

An outstanding pick, if I do say so myself. If enough Academy members won't be intimidated by the 4-hour running time, it could get nominated, hell, even WIN. It's #1 film of last year. I'm rooting HARD for it.
But AMPAS is just dying to let some mediocre French or Italian film through since that's in their comfort zone.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Norte, The End of History is the Philippines' Oscar pick.

An outstanding pick, if I do say so myself. If enough Academy members won't be intimidated by the 4-hour running time, it could get nominated, hell, even WIN. It's #1 film of last year. I'm rooting HARD for it.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Poland is going with Ida as their Oscar entry.

As for the Philippines, I'm still not sure if Norte, the End of History will be eligible. It has U.S. distribution and has been getting rave reviews all around. Our other possible options include The Barber's Tales which is making the festival rounds directed by the same person who did Bwakaw, which also got some buzz. We recently had the Cinemalaya Film Festival and our entry often comes from that. Two films have stood out: One is Dagitab (a.k.a. The Sparks) which I've seen. A great film from the same team that did Transit last year. But it's way too subtle and filled with ambiguity to make a dent at the Oscars. The other one is a more traditional drama which I didn't see called Bwaya ("Crocodile"), a based-on-a-true-story film about a mother who's preparing for her daughter's 13th birthday when she received word that she's been attacked and killed by a huge saltwater crocodile. The two films split the Best Director/Best Picture prizes respectively.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Isn't it a bit too soon for official candidates..?
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Variety confirms that as well as White God from Hungary.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Foreign Language Submissions

Post by Precious Doll »

According to some posters on Gold Derby Turkey has submitted Winter Sleep and Poland has submitted Ida.

As great as both of these films are they are probably going to need the 'committees' help to make the shortlist, particularly Winter Sleep.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)

Return to “87th Nominations and Winners”