BAFTA winners

For the films of 2014
flipp525
Laureate

Re: BAFTA winners

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:And can we acknowledge, after the PGA, ACE and this, that the animation branch flat out blocked The LEGO Movie from an award it would have won?
Yes, but why? I suppose I should head over to the Category-by-Category for this one to find that out. I watched it last week and really enjoyed it.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:The kids at Awards Watch are saying Redmayne winning here "clinched" the Oscar, which seems ridiculous: a British Academy, which also voted Theory of Everything best adapted screenplay and best British film, with Stephen Hawking in attendance, would seem to have been the most favorable terrain imaginable for Redmayne. I'm unwilling to put that race to rest based on this. The only edge Redmayne has over Keaton is the SAG -- not a small edge, but not the whole world, either.
Meanwhile there's this sour grapes nonsense from curmudgeonly Birdman lover Jeff Wells:

"There’s just something that doesn’t feel “right” about the BAFTA Awards. I can feel it in my gut. Are they crazy over there? Is the BAFTA membership crazy? I don’t want to hear any more about it. If Birdman doesn’t win having taken the PGA Zanuck, DGA and SAG ensemble prizes it’ll be a huge “wow!” moment — I know that much. I also think the people who cover the race are looking to hype things up…that’s what I think. The more tension they can inject into the Best Picture situation, the better for them. I think the BAFTA members are just crazy. That or they didn’t get the memo."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Okri wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
Okri wrote:Harvey must be maaaaad.....
He can take solace in his spirit living on in Eddie Redmayne's shameless campaigning for the Best Actor award. I don't think any actor since Roberto Benigni and Adrien Brody, urged on by Harvey has been so out there during awards season.
Just sayin'
Yes, Harvey's "Honor the Man , Honor the Film" is thoroughly obnoxious, but Redmayne has been doing the same thing with Hawking. Cumberbatch, who applauded Redmayne's BAFTA win the loudest, has spent most of awards season in England, whereas Redmayne has been at every Hollywood. function in sight.

My prediction: Keaton wins the Oscar. Harvey buys distribution rights to The Danish Girl and together he and Redmayne join forces to make sure he wins next year's Oscar.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I stayed away all day because I like to watch BAFTA without knowing the winners.

What a 24 hours for the Boyhood/Birdman match-up. Birdman looked to have buried Linklater last night, and I'm not saying BAFTA is necessarily enough to change that. But the fact is, BAFTA has done pretty well matching the Oscar winners in recent years, so it's cause for at least some hesitation. A Birdman win here would have set an inevitability scenario in motion; now it's anything but.

I've always doubted the contention, by O'Neil/Sasha and the pack, that speeches at prelim awards change the race. But if one can, Ellar Coltrane's tonight would do his film a bunch of good.

The kids at Awards Watch are saying Redmayne winning here "clinched" the Oscar, which seems ridiculous: a British Academy, which also voted Theory of Everything best adapted screenplay and best British film, with Stephen Hawking in attendance, would seem to have been the most favorable terrain imaginable for Redmayne. I'm unwilling to put that race to rest based on this. The only edge Redmayne has over Keaton is the SAG -- not a small edge, but not the whole world, either.

Lots of fun below the line, with Grand Budapest Hotel romping through a bunch of techs (including the hotly contested costume design). Birdman did manage cinematography -- but I recall Lubezki won for Children of Men here, as well. Interstellar triumphed for visual effects over. basically, the Oscar field. And best score! So many people at other sites seem to have Theory of Everything locked in for score, so Desplat's win was significant and, I hope, prophetic. (He also won a Grammy for the score tonight)

And can we acknowledge, after the PGA, ACE and this, that the animation branch flat out blocked The LEGO Movie from an award it would have won?
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Big Magilla wrote:
He can take solace in his spirit living on in Eddie Redmayne's shameless campaigning for the Best Actor award. I don't think any actor since Roberto Benigni and Adrien Brody, urged on by Harvey has been so out there during awards season.
Just sayin'
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

As is their custom, the BAFTA TV presentation was edited, albeit more professionally than in past years I thought. Most below-the-line categories were condensed into the presenters naming the winners and the winners making truncated acceptance speeches. The major awards, including an honorary award to Mike Leigh, were presented pretty much in total.

Best speeches: Julianne Moore thanking her four Scottish aunts, mother and grandmother; Patricia Arquette, speaking without reading glasses and notes, thanking her sister and her "other" sister, Alexis; Ellar Coltrane, co-accepting Best Picture, thanking everyone for appreciating the film.

Funniest speeches: Ralph Fiennes reading Wes Andersons; Ethan Hawke speaking on behalf of Richard Linklater and the Lego Movie boys getting in a dig at the Academy Awards.

Best sight gag: Supporting Actress presenter Cuba Gooding, Jr. kissing host Stephen Fry on the lips instead of the cheek as was apparently scripted.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Okri wrote:I'm not sure if you meant to leave it out, but I'd argue Adapted screenplay is just as competitive as original.
Oh, I totally agree. Just meant to say that Picture/Director/Original Screenplay seem to involve a competition between the same set of movies. Whereas the Adapted slate -- excluding no-hoper Inherent Vice -- consists entirely of what I view as the Best Picture also-rans.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I'm not sure if you meant to leave it out, but I'd argue Adapted screenplay is just as competitive as original.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

LOVE the back-and-forth nature of all of these prizes. Birdman, after an awesome run at the Guilds, snags only the Cinematography prize. Boyhood and The Grand Budapest Hotel have a great night here. As does -- gulp -- The Theory of Everything, winning Actor, Adapted Screenplay, and British Film (the latter two prizes that easily could have gone to The Imitation Game, which once again continues its role as dead weight across all awards shows.)

Picture-Director-Original Screenplay still seem like they could shake out any number of ways at the Oscars, with one film winning them all, or multiple films splitting. And I could still see a situation where Birdman wins none of those but still takes Best Actor, or wins all of them but with Keaton still losing to Redmayne.

As Magilla says, despite Moore/Simmons/Arquette looking locked up, the other five major categories (as well as MOST down ballot races) seem highly competitive.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't think anything is really settled in the top categories beyond the three consistent acting categories.

Given the split between the critics and the guilds over Boyhood and Birdman one is apt to assume that Academy members who are also guild members will side with the guilds but only that only holds true if there is a clear split between the two groups. I think the voting between Boyhood and Birdman was probably close within PGA, SAG and DGA. We should remember that there is a strong overlap between BAFTA and the Academy.

We could still see a split for Best Picture and Director in either direction or we could, as most of us did before SAG and DGA, assume that Keaton will be the Birdman consolation winner.

I think The Grand Budapest Hotel will win a number of awards but its biggest win will be for original screenplay.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I think we have to start taking The Grand Budapest Hotel seriously as a best picture possibility. I've been feeling it for a while.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

So, the acting categories all settled. Only Keaton could prevail if the Academy follows the Guilds wave rewarding Birdman, and now the question is which wave will take the Academy?
The guilds? The precursors and Boyhood wins? Is there any other alternative?

In spite of the acting categories, this is really a great race.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Harvey must be maaaaad.....
Big Magilla
Site Admin

BAFTA winners

Post by Big Magilla »

If you want to wait for the delayed TV presentation, that's fine, but the awards have already been given out. If you want to know who/what won, look here:

http://www.cinemasight.com/precursor-56 ... ards-2014/

Return to “87th Predictions and Precursors”