ACE Eddie Awards

For the films of 2014
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: ACE Eddie Awards

Post by FilmFan720 »

One quick note that I realized...in the cases this season where it has been all 3 of our big nominees against each other (Grand Budapest, Boyhood, Birdman), Boyhood and Birdman have pretty evenly split things. Boyhood took the BFCA prizes and the Golden Globe for Director, while Birdman took the SAG, PGA, Golden Globe for Screenplay and a couple of smaller BFCA awards.

However, in the cases where Boyhood isn't in the running (i.e. the comedy categories), Birdman has yet to beat Grand Budapest...it won the Globe, the BFCA and the ACE comedy awards. Is this because the Grand Budapest and Boyhood camps overlap some, so that when they can are separated they can stay strong, but when put against each other they syphon some votes off of one another and end up running second? Is it because people have a hard time seeing Birdman as a comedy?

Maybe it means nothing, but is an interesting note in the season.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

I hadn't thought it that way till you wrote it. You're right, Mister Tee. For a moment I kind of confussed critics with guilds. This is almost everything the same all the time. At last the race is turning out to be interesting, yes.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

CalWilliam wrote:Just another guild supporting Boyhood.
KInd of an odd thing to say, when this is Boyhood's first topline Guild victory of the year (the Arquette win at SAG wasn't best picture-centered, and offset by the loss in Ensemble). In fact, the buzz I'd been hearing was that Boyhood was strictly a critics/Globes thing, and that the Guilds were going to Social Network it. This prize is the first sign the film has strong support in LA.

I feel like we're doing a round-robin with Birdman/Boyhood/Grand Budapest: each film taking a turn at the top of the pile, the slipping back. Birdman looked like a champ when it won PGA, but it did earlier lose to Grand Budapest at both the Globes and Broadcasters, and now here. Does Grand Budapest's victory mean people like it more than BIrdman, or is it a case of "there weren't many cuts, thus not enough editing" in Birdman? -- the same basis on which it probably failed at an Oscar nomination. What this all may really mean is, opinion is divided , the race is up in the air, and consensus is simply not going to form. To which I might say: hurrah.

I would say this set of prizes is a setback for the possibility of American Sniper or Whiplash winning the category at AMPAS. Most tech-based editing wins are prefigured at ACE -- Black Hawk Down, The Bourne Ultimatum. However, there is the Dragon Tattoo win as precedent for those other films to keep hope alive.
CalWilliam
Temp

Post by CalWilliam »

Just another guild supporting Boyhood. Is it REALLY the best dramatic edited film of the year? I just don't get it. There are more interesting options in this category. If they want to reward that they ordered all that 12 years material, OK. Don't worry for Birdman, I'll keep saying is not that kind of movie. They'd feel they're wasting a category. Anyway, Shakespeare in love, The King's speech, No country for old men or 12 years a slave won the Oscar without the Eddie support.
CalWilliam
Temp

ACE Eddie Awards

Post by CalWilliam »

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (DRAMATIC) – Boyhood, Sandra Adair.

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (COMEDY OR MUSICAL) – The Grand Budapest Hotel, Barney Pilling

BEST EDITED ANIMATED FEATURE FILM – The Lego Movie, David Burrows & Chris McKay

BEST EDITED DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE)
 – Citizenfour, Mathilde Bonnefoy

Return to “87th Predictions and Precursors”