DGA Nominees

For the films of 2014
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: DGA Nominees

Post by Mister Tee »

dws1982 wrote:I'm not too surprised by the Tyldum nomination, what with Weinstein backing it and all, but he's truly not even at the Tom Hooper level when it comes to generic biopics. A true waste of a nomination.
I haven't yet got to Imitation Game (geographically inconvenient) but I can atttest that Tyldum's Headhunters is a very lively piece of work, far more exciting than anything I've ever seen from Tom Hooper. So it may be the genre that's defeated him.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Well, I think Selma is simply not impressive.

Anderson, Linklater and Iñarritu seem locked for next Thursday. Eastwood is looking preety good as well. I think the Academy will gor for Chazelle instead of Tyldum.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

FilmFan720 wrote:At this point I think we have to stop believing the screener conspiracy. Spirit Awards voters are getting Selma screeners, so they do exist, and I can't believe that these late voting bodies didn't get them.
I think the issue is not so much late as quantity -- there are 15,000 DGA members/potential voters; there weren't that many screeners sent out. The studio did, however, make sure the 6000 Academy voters each got one.

Something that's just struck me: if you're an Academy member who thinks Boyhood is just too frou frou a thing -- and Birdman and Grand Budapest are no better -- is it possible you'll look at a movie nominated by the DGA, WGA, PGA, Editors and Sound Guilds, and make American Sniper your best picture pick? Maybe we've spent all our time looking at the wrong December opener as spoiler.
Last edited by Mister Tee on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

At this point I think we have to stop believing the screener conspiracy. Spirit Awards voters are getting Selma screeners, so they do exist, and I can't believe that these late voting bodies didn't get them.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I'm not too surprised by the Tyldum nomination, what with Weinstein backing it and all, but he's truly not even at the Tom Hooper level when it comes to generic biopics. A true waste of a nomination.
Last edited by dws1982 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

No Selma, no Gone Girl...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Mostly expected, but again the question: Selma a screener victim, or Selma simply not impressing?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I was just going to post this, but then, voila! I found two posts ahead of me. Since yours was first, we'll keep this and delete Miguel's, although I hope he'll have something to say about the nominations here.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

DGA Nominees

Post by Mister Tee »

Wes Anderson
Clint Eastwood
A. G. Innaritu
Richard Linklater
Morten Tyldum

Return to “87th Predictions and Precursors”