ASC Nominees

For the films of 2014
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: ASC Nominees

Post by FilmFan720 »

The Original BJ wrote:...but at the same time, it's been a while since a movie as outside the main races as Unbroken won the award either. Would Legends of the Fall be the most recent correlative?
Memoirs of a Geisha and Road to Perdition are two more recent examples, although they each had other factors: Geisha was a tech category beast that Unbroken won't be, and Road to Perdition was more one last chance to honor Conrad Hall than an honor for the movie...although if Unbroken is finally the way to honor Deakins, maybe that is the best correlative!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

These nominations make me feel more confident in my predictions that MR. TURNER is going to do well in nominations and THE IMITATION GAME is going to win Best Picture.

MR. TURNER has not done well with the earlier Guilds, but it is at least on people's radar. I think it is going to do quite well with BAFTA, and the British contingent of the Academy will carry it along. After all, five of his last seven films have resulted in nominations for him (not to mention others from the films), including five for writing, two for directing, and one Best Picture notice. MR. TURNER just seems like the type of fun British film to earn wide support from the Academy.

As for THE IMITATION GAME, it has certainly been doing well at the box-office -- outside of just the art house theatres. I see it potentially leading the pack with 10 nominations (Best Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Lead Actor, Supporting Actress, Editing, Set, Costume, Score, and Sound). This surprise cinematography nomination could make it 11. Then from there it wins Best Picture, Lead Actor, Adapted Screenplay, and Score. If they really love it, Supporting Actress could happen as well. I still think Linklater has a good shot at Director, but Harvey might be able to pull-off another Hooper-shocker.

As for the Oscar Cinematography nominations, I see BIRDMAN, UNBROKEN, and MR. TURNER repeating with GONE GIRL and THE IMMIGRANT possibly breaking in.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I felt like I didn't really have much of a feel for what would net Cinematography mentions this year -- this gives us a better idea, but I still feel like there are a good number of movies still in the running for Oscar mentions.

This strikes me as a rather split field -- not all of the mentions are hip, but there are some cool nominees here that I wouldn't have expected. Obviously, Birdman was a likely nominee, but The Grand Budapest Hotel was a total surprise to me, and in both cases the nomination rewards a kind of cinematography that doesn't often get noted, one in which framing, composition, and camera movement make the film a singular visual experience rather than gorgeous pictures. Nothing against pretty pictures, though -- Mr. Turner is a beautiful-looking movie, and one I thought might have been on the bubble here. This citation confirms my belief that it's going to do quite well below-the-line at Oscar.

Unbroken is a pretty generic-looking thing, though I imagine its place in the Oscar lineup is relatively assured. Mister Tee is right that movies like Birdman don't usually win this prize...but at the same time, it's been a while since a movie as outside the main races as Unbroken won the award either. Would Legends of the Fall be the most recent correlative?

I agree that the nomination for The Imitation Game seems foreboding -- I can't remember one memorable shot.

I'm still rooting for Nightcrawler, A Most Violent Year, and (in a long-shot kind of way) Ida, though I think Gone Girl and Selma seem possible to break through as well. (It would be really nice for Bradford Young to get a spot for his one-two punch; I think A Most Violent Year is the more beautifully photographed, but Selma would be a lot more deserving of an adjunct-to-Best-Picture spot than Imitation Game.)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

What about Darius Khondji for The Immigrant?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:That was my first thought, re: Imitation Game = King's Speech. Heck, The Imitation Game doesn't have The King Speech's bad shots. It's just a handsome film of interiors. If it gets a Best Sound Mixing nomination, hooo, that's a bad sign.

Good for Robert Yeoman.

Not just Hoyte van Hoytema, but I thought Bruno Delbonnel was a sure thing for The Theory of Everything. Or maybe Robert Elswitt for Nightcrawler or Jeff Cronenweth for Gone Girl.

Isn't Emmanuel Lubeszki a total sure thing for Cinematography?
Possibly at the Guild, but not at AMPAS. Oscar voters love beautiful pictures, and that generally includes exteriors. I can't think of a film comparable to Birdman winning the cinematography Oscar.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

That was my first thought, re: Imitation Game = King's Speech. Heck, The Imitation Game doesn't have The King Speech's bad shots. It's just a handsome film of interiors. If it gets a Best Sound Mixing nomination, hooo, that's a bad sign.

Good for Robert Yeoman.

Not just Hoyte van Hoytema, but I thought Bruno Delbonnel was a sure thing for The Theory of Everything. Or maybe Robert Elswitt for Nightcrawler or Jeff Cronenweth for Gone Girl.

Isn't Emmanuel Lubeszki a total sure thing for Cinematography?
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Imitation Game showing up here is deeply ominous in a Kings Speech way.

Interstellar, despite its $180 million gross, is being treated like an Ebola carrier. I wonder if it even wins visual effects.

Grand Budapest is suddenly looking like it might score an unexpectedly high nomination total. 6-8, maybe?

Nothing seems an obvious winner, either here or at AMPAS.

ON EDIT: Is this the first time since 2007 we've had no major FX film in competition?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

ASC Nominees

Post by Mister Tee »

Birdman
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Mr. Turner
Unbroken

Return to “87th Predictions and Precursors”