ACE Eddie Nominations

For the films of 2014
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: ACE Eddie Nominations

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:Personally though I'm stymied when it comes to predicting the Golden Globe for Best Dramatic Actor.
I'd say it's between Cumberbatch and Redmayne, and whichever wins will be in a face-off with Michael Keaton for the Oscar.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Jim Carrey wasn't nominated in 1998 and 1999 because, to them, he was an outsider who they didn't respect, who got too much too soon, and who they felt they were forced to like. Academy voters for the most part didn't like The Truman Show or think he did anything special. It's not remotely the kind of performance they honor. By the time Man on the Moon came out (and flopped) they were probably sick of thinking that they owed this guy anything. He went from being nobody to demanding an asking price higher than Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks over the course of two years for a flop nobody liked (The Cable Guy, which, yes, some do now including myself), bounced back with the same exact childish comedy that made him a star to begin with, and then all of a sudden he's owed their highest acting honor. When he won the Golden Globe for The Truman Show, he said "It's going to be really hard to talk out of my ass after this...but I'll manage." No matter how talented Jim Carrey may be and how much money he made for the industry, that's how people felt about him. He was that.

Again, that's not Steve Carell. The 40 Year Old Virgin was almost ten years ago. He seems like a super sweet guy (Carrey did not) who has popped in and out of movies they've liked (like Little Miss Sunshine) for years. They've worked with him, they've had time to accept him, which they didn't have with Jim Carrey. If Steve Carell isn't nominated (and he totally may win the Golden Globe), it will only be because his competition was marked higher on more ballots. I used to think that I had no idea how much voters liked Foxcatcher and Carell. That's actually no longer the case. I think I have a pretty good idea. What I don't know is how many voters saw Selma and liked The Theory of Everything.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

If Steve Carell is nominated, Jim Carrey is going to raise holy hell. I think Carell is in the same boat as Carrey, a physical comedian who turned in a terrific performance (Carrey even did it twice) and the Academy still looked at the name and scoffed.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Best Actor is the most interesting category this year. Not because the potential nominees are necessarily very good - but because the roles they play are so typically Academy-friendly (even too much, actually). I mean, there's an assortment of washed-up actors, gay scientists, real life sociopaths, fictional sociopaths. disabled geniuses, black civil rights leaders, famous painters..

My prediction at the moment? Keaton, Cumberbatch, Redmayne (sadly), Gyllenhaal (sadly), and one between Spall and Oyekowo.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

You could be right. I think it's increasingly likely that Jake Gyllenhaal is getting nominated because reaction to his performance in Nightcralwer is so enthusiastic as well as now a nomination isn't a longshot but a real possibility. So who's out? Is it Oyelowo? The screeners are now out. Is it Carell? Very possible because I'm just not sure how passionate people can be about this film but his first scene (even if they don't make it much past) is a knockout. If Eddie Redmayne is left off it will be because if people aren't ecstatic about The Imitation Game, it seems like nobody thinks The Theory of Everything delivered like it should and essentially it comes down to an uncanny resemblance. You may be right yet. Personally though I'm stymied when it comes to predicting the Golden Globe for Best Dramatic Actor.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ wrote:Here's another, maybe more controversial thought: is it possible the SAG Best Actor slate is repeated, and BOTH Carell and Gyllenhaal make the Oscar list, leaving David Oyelowo the one boxed out? It would seem weird, given that Selma seems a far stronger overall candidate than Foxcatcher and Nightcrawler, and Martin Luther King the kind of beloved icon who would probably garner attention for even a lesser performance than Oyelowo's. But Oyelowo is a lot less famous, and in a tight field you never know how the numbers might fall. (I'm reminded of last year, when most people seemed to be debating whether or not the last Best Actress slot would go to Adams or Streep, only to see Thompson squeezed out instead.)
This is basically where I toot my now-tiresome-yet-still-possible prediction that Eddie Redmayne loses his spot in the Best Actor race. I also think Felicity Jones is not as assured a nod as seems to be predicted. Cotillard and Aniston might get in while Jones loses out.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

dws1982 wrote:If I remember right, Bridesmaids of all things, got all of those citations.
You are right...I had forgotten how well it did (albeit in the comedy categories).
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

If I remember right, Bridesmaids of all things, got all of those citations.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

So far we have had 4 major precursor announcements: Golden Globes, SAG, AFI and ACE. Only 3 films have managed the top prize nomination or citation from each group (i.e. Best Picture, Best Ensemble, Top 10 List and ACE nomination): Birdman, Boyhood and The Imitation Game. I say all of those are pretty solidly encamped in the Best Picture race. Since the expansion, only 1 film has done this well this early in the precursors (gotten those four citations) and not gotten a Best Picture nomination. Any guesses??
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

BJ, that would make sense if I thought Foxcatcher was the kind of on-the-bubble vehicle that many-but-maybe-not-enough people liked. But I really think Foxcatcher will be all but left out (barring Ruffalo).

Oscarguy, I think The Theory of Everything is basically The Dallas Buyers Club of the year, minus the stealth attack. Similar box office (23 and counting for the Hawking-film). Similar release date/pattern (beginning of November). Two actors in contention for nominations. A completely undeserving SAG ensemble nod. I think we'd all be happy if it was left off the list, though.

Tee, I basically will blame the lack of screeners until the oscars re: Selma.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Selma does indeed seem to be a bit softer candidate than it initially seemed. (A couple people I know worked on the movie, and one of them wrote up a New Year's post about how proud he was to have worked on "the movie that will undoubtedly win the Best Picture Oscar" -- I think he has a very different definition of the word "undoubtedly" than I do.) It is worth noting that the six Dramatic ACE nominees were more flashy in the editing department than Selma is -- even the relatively subdued The Imitation Game has the cross-cutting between three different eras -- but Best Picture winners typically do tend to get these add-on mentions, and Selma doesn't seem to be picking up those. It missed the Globe Screenplay nod too, and won't be eligible at WGA, and I'm starting to think that projected Oscar Screenplay spot could be wobblier than I thought, especially given the competition.

Here's another, maybe more controversial thought: is it possible the SAG Best Actor slate is repeated, and BOTH Carell and Gyllenhaal make the Oscar list, leaving David Oyelowo the one boxed out? It would seem weird, given that Selma seems a far stronger overall candidate than Foxcatcher and Nightcrawler, and Martin Luther King the kind of beloved icon who would probably garner attention for even a lesser performance than Oyelowo's. But Oyelowo is a lot less famous, and in a tight field you never know how the numbers might fall. (I'm reminded of last year, when most people seemed to be debating whether or not the last Best Actress slot would go to Adams or Streep, only to see Thompson squeezed out instead.)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I never understood the hype over The Theory of Everything. It opened to good, but not great reviews and hasn't moved anywhere at the box office ($22 million in wide release isn't very good). Yet, it still ends up being listed as a near-sure thing. I never thought it close to a sure thing. I also think it's one of the weaker contenders and may very well end up dropped from the fina list.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The big miss is Selma. I read elsewhere that Driving Miss Daisy is the last film to win best picture without a ACE nomination. At what point does lack of screeners stop being an excuse for Selma's absence?

Theory of Everything is also AWOL -- hardly an outrage, but, given its early strong run, a bump in the road.

Sniper, Whiplash & Gone Girl could all be strong candidates for this particular prize without getting into the best picture race. Conversely, this is yet another sign Grand Budapest is a near across-the-board choice. And who'd have guessed a few weeks ago that Nightcrawler would show up so often?

ON EDIT: Folks elsewhere are also noting the absence of Interstellar and Unbroken. It's true that Inception did get nominated here (while failing at editing with AMPAS), which only confirms the idea Interstellar is far weaker than Inception was. You have to wonder if Interstellar will get much beyond VFX; is cinematography also in jeopardy? As for Unbroken, this does undercut the idea the film will be borne aloft to a best picture nod via a phalanx of tech nominations.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

ACE Eddie Nominations

Post by Mister Tee »

Let the Guilds begin.

BEST EDITED FEATURE FILM (DRAMATIC):

American Sniper, Joel Cox, ACE & Gary Roach, ACE
Boyhood, Sandra Adair, ACE
Gone Girl, Kirk Baxter, ACE
The Imitation Game, William Goldenberg, ACE
Nightcrawler, John Gilroy, ACE
Whiplash, Tom Cross