Critics Choice Nominations

For the films of 2014
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Critics Choice Nominations

Post by Mister Tee »

The Broadcasters used to serve one, utterly minor function: being the first to cobble together a full-on slate, they gave us our first glimpse into the rough thinking that was going on about the various races. Now, though, not only do we have 365-day-a-year blogging to fill that function, we have other, more legitimated groups (SAG & the Globes) producing their lists earlier. A Broadcasters list at this point just lets us watch them frantically try to keep up with late-breaking buzz. I guarantee you, three weeks ago, Nightcrawler and Grand Budapest would not have been nearly so prominently placed.

If there's anything noteworthy in the whole roster, it's the fact that even with six nominees they omitted Steve Carell -- which reinforces my long-held feeling that Foxcatcher isn't going to fly very high this season.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Another observation, since this nomination is really going to help Wes Anderson score a directing nomination at the Oscars.... but if Wes Anderson hangs on and receives a Best Director Oscar nomination, this season is going to be a huge victory for the University of Texas at Austin film school, who has another alumni also competing for Best Director... Richard Linklater.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

mlrg wrote:
MovieWes wrote:Sooooooo...... I guess it's safe to say that the words "Academy Award nominee Jennifer Aniston" will become a reality on January 15?
I think she will be left out in the end. But then again, who will take her spot? Cotillard? Swank?
I agree with mrlg. I don't think the Academy is going to go for Aniston. I think Cotillard or Swank are in a much better position to take that fifth slot (or a total shock nominee like Anne Dorval or Paulina García). In supposedly weak years like this, random nominees that wouldn't have stood a chance in a more competitive year tend to pop up.

I could honestly even see Amy Adams getting in for Big Eyes before Aniston.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

MovieWes wrote:Sooooooo...... I guess it's safe to say that the words "Academy Award nominee Jennifer Aniston" will become a reality on January 15?
I think she will be left out in the end. But then again, who will take her spot? Cotillard? Swank?
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Sooooooo...... I guess it's safe to say that the words "Academy Award nominee Jennifer Aniston" will become a reality on January 15?
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote:Angelina because a)she's good, b)payback for the Sony leaks, c)so the TV cameras can pan from Angie to Jen and back or d)because the Broadcast Critics are more heavily influenced by big stars than the Globes?
All of the above but D mostly.

I will give them some credit for recognizing Noah Wiseman's performance in The Babadook with a Best Young Performer nomination.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Angelina because a)she's good, b)payback for the Sony leaks, c)so the TV cameras can pan from Angie to Jen and back or d)because the Broadcast Critics are more heavily influenced by big stars than the Globes?
E) they voted too early, before they realized Unbroken was a bust -- see: Nine (10 nominations!), The Shipping News.
Last edited by Mister Tee on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Angelina because a)she's good, b)payback for the Sony leaks, c)so the TV cameras can pan from Angie to Jen and back or d)because the Broadcast Critics are more heavily influenced by big stars than the Globes?
mlrg
Associate

Critics Choice Nominations

Post by mlrg »

BEST PICTURE
Birdman
Boyhood
Gone Girl
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Nightcrawler
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Unbroken
Whiplash

BEST ACTOR
Benedict Cumberbatch – The Imitation Game
Ralph Fiennes – The Grand Budapest Hotel
Jake Gyllenhaal – Nightcrawler
Michael Keaton – Birdman
David Oyelowo – Selma
Eddie Redmayne – The Theory of Everything

BEST ACTRESS
Jennifer Aniston – Cake
Marion Cotillard – Two Days, One Night
Felicity Jones – The Theory of Everything
Julianne Moore – Still Alice
Rosamund Pike – Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon – Wild

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Josh Brolin – Inherent Vice
Robert Duvall – The Judge
Ethan Hawke – Boyhood
Edward Norton – Birdman
Mark Ruffalo – Foxcatcher
J.K. Simmons – Whiplash

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Patricia Arquette – Boyhood
Jessica Chastain – A Most Violent Year
Keira Knightley – The Imitation Game
Emma Stone – Birdman
Meryl Streep – Into the Woods
Tilda Swinton – Snowpiercer

BEST DIRECTOR
Wes Anderson – The Grand Budapest Hotel
Ava DuVernay – Selma
David Fincher – Gone Girl
Alejandro G. Inarritu – Birdman
Angelina Jolie – Unbroken
Richard Linklater – Boyhood

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Birdman – Alejandro G. Inarritu, Nicolas Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Jr., Armando Bo
Boyhood – Richard Linklater
The Grand Budapest Hotel – Wes Anderson, Hugo Guinness
Nightcrawler – Dan Gilroy
Whiplash – Damien Chazelle

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Gone Girl – Gillian Flynn
The Imitation Game – Graham Moore
Inherent Vice – Paul Thomas Anderson
The Theory of Everything – Anthony McCarten
Unbroken – Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, Richard LaGravenese, William Nicholson
Wild – Nick Hornby

Return to “87th Predictions and Precursors”