Boston Film Critics winners

For the films of 2014
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: Boston Film Critics winners

Post by dws1982 »

Mister Tee wrote:Cotillard's run in best actress seems like it might push her into that waiting-to-be-filled spot on the best actress ballot. Julianne Moore's non-performance thus far is reminding me a bit of Paul Newman's in 1986: there, too, critics initially pushed him as Oscar front-runner, but only NBR voted him a year-end award. Cotillard could be the Bob Hoskins of the slot: win all the critics' prizes, then watch the sentimental favorite win the Oscar in the end.
From what I gather, it seems as if you're hoping that this is finally the year Moore gets the win, and I think she's as much in the race as anyone. But it's also worth mentioning that, as much as this seems like the perfect time for her to win (just like, for example, Crazy Heart did for Jeff Bridges five years ago), the perfect time doesn't come along in every career. Like I said, she's as much in the race as anyone can be on December 7, but her soft showing with these early critics may just mean she's not as strong a candidate as her fans are hoping.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Boston Film Critics winners

Post by Mister Tee »

So...complete, here. Boston's best picture wins have been pretty much down the middle of late (last year was the only time since 2008 they didn't match NY -- and NY was more the "apostate" in that match-up). Looks like Boyhood and Birdman stayed the favorites from early Fall; of the late openers, only America Sniper and (in lesser categories) Inherent Vice made much impression. For Boyhood, running the critics' table is important...and even doing that isn't enough to solidify any best picture favorite status.

Cotillard's run in best actress seems like it might push her into that waiting-to-be-filled spot on the best actress ballot. Julianne Moore's non-performance thus far is reminding me a bit of Paul Newman's in 1986: there, too, critics initially pushed him as Oscar front-runner, but only NBR voted him a year-end award. Cotillard could be the Bob Hoskins of the slot: win all the critics' prizes, then watch the sentimental favorite win the Oscar in the end.

I'm pleased to see Keaton pulling off major wins (especially with Redmayne not scoring so far), but I see best actor as not apt to be settled early on.

J.K. Simmons IS Christoph Waltz, but Patricia Arquette is NOT Mo'Nique. I'm very wobbly on who the Oscar nominees'll even be for supporting actress, and we may end up with an anyone-can-win year.

Princess Kaguya winning critics' awards isn't remotely a surprise. The surprise was LEGO winning NY; that's done more to influence the race than any of these later prizes.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Boston Film Critics winners

Post by Mister Tee »

To be updated as the day goes on.

Film: Boyhood
(ru: Birdman)

Director: Richard Linklater (Boyhood)
(run: Clint Eastwood ! (American Sniper))
...so maybe not just an NBR thing

Foreign-Language Film: Two Days One Night
(ru: Ida)

Ensemble: Boyhood
(ru: Birdman)
...Burr says a very tight vote, with Foxcatcher, Mr. Turner, Inherent Vice and Grand Budapest all in the mix

Actor: Michael Keaton (Birdman)
(ru: Timothy Spall (Mr. Turner))
...Ty Burr says Spall was "a distant second"

Actress: Marion Cotillard (Two Days One Night) and (The Immigrant)
(ru: Hilary Swank (The Homesman))
...apparently they gave a special dispensation, to combine Cotillard's votes for both films

Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons (Whiplash)
(ru: Edward Norton (Birdman))
...looks like it's going to be Norton's fate to be the overwhelming second-choice in a one-horse race

Supporting Actress: Emma Stone (Birdman)
(ru: Laura Dern (Wild))
...reportedly went to a third ballot, with lots of candidates -- reinforcing the BJ premise, that this is not a Mo'Nique-like runaway for Patricia Arquette

Screenplay (tie): Birdman & Boyhood
(ru: Mr. Turner)
...these are the first films so far to turn up in a second category

Documentary: Citizenfour
(ru: Jodorowsky's Dune)

Animated Feature: The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
(ru: The LEGO Movie)

New Filmmaker: Dan Gilroy (Nightcrawler)
(ru: Gillian Robespierre (Obvious Child))
...Gilroy is the first male to win a new director award this season

Cinematography: Birdman
(ru: Mr. Turner)

Editing: Boyhood
(ru: American Sniper)

Use of Music: Inherent Vice
(ru: Whiplash)

Return to “87th Predictions and Precursors”