NBR Winners

For the films of 2014
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: NBR Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

Here's a little insight into the NBR love for Clint.

From Show Biz 411 - Hollywood on the Hudson:

Jeanine Basinger is on the NBR board. She also teaches at Wesleyan, where she runs Eastwood’s archives. The NBR has given Wesleyan just over $50,000 since 2007, presumably for Basinger to run her Eastwood Fan Club unimpeded.

You can find the full article here:

http://www.showbiz411.com/2014/12/02/na ... or-of-lego
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

You mean, they're correct?
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I would also like to add that all these awards organizations handing out prizes so early, where many voters have still yet to see many of the top contenders, reminds me of those news organizations calling Florida for Gore in 2000.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Very quietly, Keira Knightley has had a very strong year. Laggies may not have done well, but Begin Again was a reasonably strong performer and stands her a chance for her second Golden Globe nomination this month along with her relatively assured one for Best Supporting Actress. She also received a lot of positive reinforcement for her decision to pose topless without aid of photoshop. For years, she has been noticeably photoshopped in posters to ridiculously degrees. Of the "contenders" (Arquette, Chastain, Dern, Knightley, and Stone are the highest profile), I have only seen Arquette and Stone. Richard Linklater isn't really a taskmaster of a director and afford his actors enough room to occasionally be kinda bland and that includes Arquette. Maybe I need another viewing of Boyhood, but for an actress whose built a career on a blank hotness I think that playing the character that people leave the theater with the most sympathy for is along with making room in her schedule for ten years her greatest contribution to the film. Like the acclaim for Lupita Nyong'o and Anne Hathaway, the talking points seem to have eclipsed the actual performance.

Compare that to Emma Stone who very much has established a mode of performance and fucking tears up every scene she has. I'm not saying she necessarily deserves a win or nomination (I need to play serious Swinton catch up, but my favorites thus far are Carrie Coon, Kim Dickens, Elisabeth moss, and Rene Russo), but I could very easily see The Hollywood Foreign Press giving it to a big ol' star like Emma Stone just as easily as I could see them giving it to Knightley.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I've had Chastain on my predictions list for awhile. I think the candidate no one is taking serious is Keira Knightley in The Imitation Game. Harvey is very well known for getting his female stars Oscars and since he has no other horse in the race, I wouldn't count her out.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Greg wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
Mister Tee wrote: Notably missing from top ten films: Selma
Per KrisTapley, Selma was the last film screened for NBR members after many of them had already left for Thanksgiving.
Well, if that is true then these awards should not be taken seriously.
I don't think anyone needs that warning re: NBR.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:
Per KrisTapley, Selma was the last film screened for NBR members after many of them had already left for Thanksgiving.
Well, if that is true then these awards should not be taken seriously.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ wrote:I meant to write this about Supporting Actress yesterday -- so I'll get zero predictive points for this -- but I think people are seriously underestimating Jessica Chastain as a potential winner in that category.)
I didn't; I predicted her to take NBR and she did.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Well, well, well, this is exciting...

Both A Most Violent Year and American Sniper have been mostly overlooked by the bloggers in their predictions, which is strange to me. In the past two years, Oscar voters certainly gave the year-end entries their due, and if those two movies deliver, I see no reason why they couldn't make inroads into the awards race, despite the fact that the Internet hasn't decreed them a significant part of the Best Picture group as of yet. (Though I will say that the American Sniper director prize could very well be evidence of NBR's jones for Eastwood.)

Oscar Isaac is yet another of many Best Actor contenders fighting ruthlessly for a spot. Oddly, he was about in this same position last year too, though perhaps the Inside Llewyn Davis credit last year gives him more steam for recognition this year.

I meant to write this about Supporting Actress yesterday -- so I'll get zero predictive points for this -- but I think people are seriously underestimating Jessica Chastain as a potential winner in that category. I think Patricia Arquette is wonderful in Boyhood, but nothing about the performance or actor strike me as something that would steamroll through the season. Chastain is a classic supporting actress type -- a hot new star seemingly poised for a major screen career, who has already racked up two nominations in quick succession, in a role that's apparently attention-grabbing and quite sizable. I'm keeping my eye on her.

Solid enough showing for Birdman after yesterday's shut-out.

All reports suggest Inherent Vice is crazy weird, but something has to fill up that Adapted Screenplay race, and this does seem like the kind of adventurous pick the writers might go for, if anyone does.

I'm fine with The LEGO Movie winning animated prizes, but writing awards are a bridge way too far for me, particularly given the extremely high quality of this year's original screenplay batch. (I'm ready to go full-Italiano on the rave reviews for that movie -- seriously?!)

I'd have thought that this group would be most favorable for The Theory of Everything, but it didn't show up anywhere. Whiplash was also totally boxed out -- it couldn't even crack the 10 Ten Independent films list (not that that necessarily means anything).
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Once again, Clint's bitch.

Keaton & Moore, disappointed yesterday, come back right away, both last night at the Gothams, and here.

Its now become a tradition: no one who wins at NY carries over to NBR the following day. Even in supporting actor, where Edward Norton will not suffer the Fassbender fate of last year and lose everywhere.

NBR was the one of the four "original" groups that didn't pick Chastain in 2011. ON EDIT: But I forgot: she did win best actress in 2012.

You might wonder at A Most Violent Year's ability to parley this into a best picture nod...but I seem to recall people being equally dubious about Hugo and Her.

Notably missing from top ten films: Selma and Grand Budapest Hotel. Of course, American Hustle was missing last year.

I think they've passed over Bennett Miller's two previous best picture candidates, so no reason for Foxcatcher to take this as definitive.

The LEGO Movie is in the year's top ten, and the best original screenplay, but doesn't take the animated prize?

Citizenfour missing entirely from the doc list, at a group that has proudly paraded its beige liberalism over the years, might indicate the film has a rougher road ahead than people are thinking. (I.e., it's a movie that hardcore lefties love more than mainstream liberals)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought they were over their fixation with Clint Eastwood - Career Achievement Award winner, 1999; Special Achievement Award winner, 2004 for producing, directing, acting in and composing the score for Million Dollar Baby; Best Actor, 2008 for Gran Torino; Best Director, 2009, for Invictus and now this, his fifth individual award.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

NBR Winners

Post by Mister Tee »

per Variety

Best Film: A Most Violent Year
Best Director: Clint Eastwood – American Sniper
Best Actor (TIE): Oscar Isaac – A Most Violent Year; Michael Keaton – Birdman
Best Actress: Julianne Moore – Still Alice
Best Supporting Actor: Edward Norton – Birdman
Best Supporting Actress: Jessica Chastain – A Most Violent Year
Best Original Screenplay: Phil Lord & Christopher Miller – The Lego Movie