New York Film Critics winners

For the films of 2014
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: New York Film Critics winners

Post by ITALIANO »

Reza wrote:she plays her like one of those wide-eyed Griffith heroines.
And that is certainly intentional. It doesn't work for you, it does for me - but it's certainly an interesting approach to a performance. And Cotillard does everything with the grace of what in Italy we call "a movie animal".

I havent seen the Belgian entry yet.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Immigrant was barely released in the U.S. and hasn't been out yet on DVD. It's only available via streaming or a very expensive DVD import from the U.K. Unless it proves very popular on screeners, it probably isn't going to get anywhere near the Oscars. Cotillard's best shot is with Two Days, One Night for which she just won the Boston On-Line Critics Award to go with her NYFC award.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

ITALIANO wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:I've been frustratingly unable to see The Immigrant.

I think you should see it - it's not a great movie, but like others by the same director it has its own mood, and while it can be sometimes frustrating (it certainly rarely follows the audience's expectations) it is at least not conventional, and the dynamics between the two central characters are rather interesting and unpredictable. Marion Cotillard SHOULD be Oscar-nominated - she has the purity of a silent film actress in this one, and the camera so obviously loves her (and Americans always appreciate actresses who speak foreign languages - in this case, English with a Polish accent AND Polish) - but of course it depends on how many will see this movie, which hasn't been exactly a big hit. And by the way - Joaquin Phoenix is excellent too, this is another of his great, twisted, tormented characters that he can do so well.

As for the cinematography - it's even TOO good, too perfect. Every frame like a painting, or rather, like an old postcard. But again - it depends how many in the Cinematographers Branch have seen the film.
I agree about the cinematography and Phoenix but Cotillard winning an award for this film I find highly absurd. She is saddled with such an annoying character and she plays her like one of those wide-eyed Griffith heroines - pure but very bland. Her Streepish accent stunt must have impressed the voters. If she has to be nominated I'd rather see her get in on the list for the Belgian film instead.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Mister Tee wrote:I've been frustratingly unable to see The Immigrant.

I think you should see it - it's not a great movie, but like others by the same director it has its own mood, and while it can be sometimes frustrating (it certainly rarely follows the audience's expectations) it is at least not conventional, and the dynamics between the two central characters are rather interesting and unpredictable. Marion Cotillard SHOULD be Oscar-nominated - she has the purity of a silent film actress in this one, and the camera so obviously loves her (and Americans always appreciate actresses who speak foreign languages - in this case, English with a Polish accent AND Polish) - but of course it depends on how many will see this movie, which hasn't been exactly a big hit. And by the way - Joaquin Phoenix is excellent too, this is another of his great, twisted, tormented characters that he can do so well.

As for the cinematography - it's even TOO good, too perfect. Every frame like a painting, or rather, like an old postcard. But again - it depends how many in the Cinematographers Branch have seen the film.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote: Mister Tee, would you like to borrow my Netflix streaming for the night?
Thanks for such a generous offer. I'm a bit crazy-busy right this moment, but let me get back to you on this.

And I should warn you: I'm not fully techno-phobic, but I'm only as acquainted with things as need be (to wit: I've only had an iPhone for a year, and it took me six months of that to figure out the flashlight). So, I might need some walking-through.
Sure thing. Just PM me when you're ready and I'll talk you through it. It would probably just be a matter of installing Silverlight on your PC to view streaming.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

flipp525 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote: Mister Tee, would you like to borrow my Netflix streaming for the night?
Thanks for such a generous offer. I'm a bit crazy-busy right this moment, but let me get back to you on this.

And I should warn you: I'm not fully techno-phobic, but I'm only as acquainted with things as need be (to wit: I've only had an iPhone for a year, and it took me six months of that to figure out the flashlight). So, I might need some walking-through.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I will also add that I thought Jeremy Renner was excellent in the film. In the past year or so, he has consistently surprised me with a great charisma on screen. I think he is turning into one of our most interesting character actors, and while I wouldn't have pegged him in this role, I thought he excelled.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Mister Tee wrote:Given the scrounging required to fill the last slot under actress, I wouldn't be surprised if Cotillard made a strong run for it. For The Immigrant, I'd think, despite Harvey Weinstein's militant lack of interest. (I've been frustratingly unable to see The Immigrant. I'm told it's on Netflix streaming, but I do my Netflix the old-fashioned in-the-mail way, and they still have it listed unavailable/no idea when)
Cotillard is fantastic in The Immigrant (as is Joaquin Phoenix, who can be hit or miss for me). The cinematography is quite sumptuous (that final shot is just astonishing); the problem is that the film takes a Belva Plain/Harold Robbins plot and treats it like an art film.

Mister Tee, would you like to borrow my Netflix streaming for the night?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Frustrasting.

It's not like the Oscars where the results could lead to controversial public debate and gambling.

The NYFCC runners-up would likely be poured over by 100 folks at best. And discussed by fewer than 50.

The worth of film critics awards runners-up to film lovers like us is to direct us to films and performances that we might not pay adequate attention to. Not top 10 or even 3 lists by any means.

More generating interest and discussion among a niche/elite group of film lovers.

The general public can and will focus on the winners. Doubt if they'd have the interest to focus on runners-up.

Mister Tee wrote:So, this is why I think its so pointless for the NY folk to try and enforce omerta about the voting results. Some info will get out anyway, but it'll be haphazard and potentially garbled.

From Tapley:

Sela and Inherent Vice were in the best film hunt; Birdman not so much.

Best actor runners-up: Oyelowo, Redmayne, and Alfred Molina.

Best actress runners-up: Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Julianne Moore (maybe not in that order).

Supporting actor runner-up: Edward Norton.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

So, this is why I think its so pointless for the NY folk to try and enforce omerta about the voting results. Some info will get out anyway, but it'll be haphazard and potentially garbled.

From Tapley:

Selma and Inherent Vice were in the best film hunt; Birdman not so much.

Best actor runners-up: Oyelowo, Redmayne, and Alfred Molina.

Best actress runners-up: Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Julianne Moore (maybe not in that order).

Supporting actor runner-up: Edward Norton.
Last edited by Mister Tee on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Greg wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:I've been frustratingly unable to see The Immigrant. I'm told it's on Netflix streaming, but I do my Netflix the old-fashioned in-the-mail way, and they still have it listed unavailable/no idea when)
The Immigrant is available for sale at Amazon, but it is not available for instant video yet.
It is a non US version.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Greg wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:I saw Selma yesterday, and though I thought it was quite good, it's way more traditional, and I wouldn't expect it to triumph anywhere but maybe NBR among pre-televised ceremonies.
Did you see it at a special screening?
I saw both it and Into the Woods yesterday at Guild/AMPAS screenings. Stay tuned...
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Mister Tee wrote:I've been frustratingly unable to see The Immigrant. I'm told it's on Netflix streaming, but I do my Netflix the old-fashioned in-the-mail way, and they still have it listed unavailable/no idea when)
The Immigrant is available for sale at Amazon, but it is not available for instant video yet.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The Original BJ wrote:I saw Selma yesterday, and though I thought it was quite good, it's way more traditional, and I wouldn't expect it to triumph anywhere but maybe NBR among pre-televised ceremonies.
Did you see it at a special screening?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Something maybe worth noting: except for first feature and documentary, all awards went to films critics saw prior to Memorial Day.

Given the scrounging required to fill the last slot under actress, I wouldn't be surprised if Cotillard made a strong run for it. For The Immigrant, I'd think, despite Harvey Weinstein's militant lack of interest. (I've been frustratingly unable to see The Immigrant. I'm told it's on Netflix streaming, but I do my Netflix the old-fashioned in-the-mail way, and they still have it listed unavailable/no idea when)

Return to “87th Predictions and Precursors”