Hollywood Film Awards

For the films of 2014
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Hollywood Film Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

It's also a step up for them from the People's Choice awards which I understand are also hosted by Queen Latifah.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think it's network envy. NBC has the Globes and ABC has the Oscars. No one apparently wants the Critics Choice Awards, but CBS seems ok getting the Hollywood Film Awards (since it's a more glamorous name and isn't operated by those pesky "critics").
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I made it halfway through this crap until I realized that all it was was an extended trailer for upcoming films. The introductions were lame, the speeches were stupid (Shailene Woodley came off as a Valley Girl when she could've really used that moment to curry favor with Academy voters) and livin'-in-a-glass-closet Queen Latifah's hosting mostly fell flat.

You have to wonder why they've all of a sudden decided to broadcast this. Could it be sagging box office numbers?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Hollywood Film Awards

Post by Big Magilla »

Anyone besides me watch this?

Frankly, I'd never heard of this award before last year. I thought they were something new but they've actually been around for seventeen years although last night's awards were the first televised, on CBS no less which devoted its entire prime time schedule to the "event" - arrivals at 7:30, presentation from 8 to 10:10 with an after-show with the hosts of CBS This Morning - Gayle King, Norah O'Donnell and Charlie Rose. I tuned in about 8:05 and left shortly after the after-show began.

Background on the questionable awards is here:

http://nypost.com/2014/11/14/why-dubiou ... en-globes/

Despite the dubiousness of the awards, it was a good opportunity to see this year's big name front-runners in action. Queen Latifah made a congenial host. She may have been auditioning for next year's Golden Globes or Oscars. Female presenters were all classy and humble with charm to spare, although curiously most of the male presenters seemed ill at ease. Even Jared Leto who gave a nice introduction to Eddie Redmayne (Breathrough Actor of the Year) seemed taken aback by Redmayne's gushing over having become an actor because of Leto's work in Requiem for a Dream.

Robert Downey, Jr., tie loosened several inches below his neck, presented the first award to Robert Duvall (Supporting Actor of the Year for The Judge) in a rambling speech. A genuinely moved Duvall, too, went on and on, losing his train of thought several times. The orchestra finally drowned him out.

The last award of the evening was the presentation to Film of the Year to Ben Affleck for Gone Girl by Ron Howard, who was the only male presenter who seemed to be having a good time. Gone Girl was supposedly not the first choice, but Affleck was the only name they could get to accept the award even though he was just an actor on the film, not a producer or director.

In-between we were dazzled by presenters Angelina Jolie, Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern, Hilary Swank, Amy Adams and Kristen Stewart among others and annoyed by Johnny Depp who looked and sounded like he was on something. Jennifer Lopez was funny flubbing her lines (on purpose?) and Steven Tyler made noises while Randy Jackson presented a Song of the Year award to some singer I never heard of, but is probably a big star in the music industry I no longer pay attention to.

Winners Steve Carell and Channing Tatum (Ensemble of the Year) seemed embarrassed, but aside from them and Duvall, all the winners seemed genuinely happy to get their awards and try out their awards seasons speeches. Benedict Cumberbatch (Actor of the Year) dedicated his award to Alan Turing. Redmayne dedicated his to Stephen Hawking. Julianne Moore (Actress of the Year) thanked her co-writers and directors who if I understood her correctly, are both suffering from ALS. Shailene Woodley (Breakthrough Actress of the Year) thanked everone connected with her film. Jack O'Connell (New Hollywood Star of the Year), coming on like a young James Cagney, was a live wire gushing over Angelina Jolie, thanking her profusely and dedicating his award to Louie Zamaprini and if I understood him correctly, Zamparini's entire generation. Keira Knightley (Supporting Actress of the Year) seemed to possess old star movie glamor which was probably why the camera kept going to her for reaction shots throughout the evening. Morten Tyldum seemed to be amused that he was getting the Director of the Year award (allegedly after it had been turned down by David Ficher, Christopher Nolan and Ridley Scott), pointing out that he was new to Hollywood leaving one to think that had a bigger named accepted director of the Year he could have gotten a newly christened New Director of the Year award.

Michael Keaton seemed pleased to be getting his career Achievement Award from Geena Davis, but nervously chewed gum throughout his entire acceptance speech. It's going to be an interesting year watching so many stars not jaded by decades of wins vying for this year's awards.

Return to “87th Predictions and Precursors”