Cannes

For the films of 2014
dws1982
Emeritus

Re: Cannes

Post by dws1982 »

That's a decent point. She'll probably even end up with an Emmy nomination for it when all is said and done because the Emmys love to nominate movie stars.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

dws1982 wrote:Well, Grace of Monaco, opening night film of Cannes 2014, will finally be seen in the United States.

On Lifetime.
I would wager that Kidman pushed hard for that. Anything but a cinema U.S. release and a strong possibility as a deserved contender for a Razzie.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Well, Grace of Monaco, opening night film of Cannes 2014, will finally be seen in the United States.

On Lifetime.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Precious Doll wrote:I don't think Julianne Moore's performance or the film were well received at all. Other then the award for Moore, all the others given seem quite respectable when one weighs in the strength of their respective reviews.

I get the impression that based on the reviews of Map to the Stars and Cosmopolis, Cronenberg's best years may be long gone. Hopefully he can find his mojo again sometime in the future (time is running out though given he has just turned 70).

The only big loser appears to have been the Dardene Brothers' Two Days, One Night which went home empty handed. But hey, Jane Campion completely miscast Elizabeth Moss in Top of the Lake so she is entitled to head jury that makes as least one lapse of judgement. And every year the Cannes jury prizes include at least one head scratcher and this year it's Moore.
Well, I have to eat my own words. Julianne Moore more than earned her best actress award at Cannes. Actually having now seen most of the in-competition films I would have awarded Maps to the Stars the Palm meaning Moore wouldn't have won the best actress award that she do richly deserved.

Shame that MTFS is not the sort of film the Academy would ever consider giving so much as a nomination too but one can't blame them in this case when the film takes such a savage, crude, cynical and cruel portrait of Hollywood.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Well having just seen the Dardene Brothers' Two Days, One Night I can understand and appreciate why it went home empty handed despite it's stellar reviews from the critics (WTF).

Great premise on paper anyway, but the execution left something to be desired. It's as relentless as the best of their work and does build to a powerful ending but I simply never believed any of it.

The Dardene's have a solid track record and have barely put a foot wrong since their film The Promise premièred in 1996, so I suppose sooner or later they were due for something that fails make the cut and this is it for me.

Marion Cotillard tries her heart out but the material verges so often into the absurd that she is left high and dry.

It will probably be Belgium's entry the Foreign Language consideration but I can't see it getting anywhere.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Mister Tee wrote: Closest to a surprise ... Bennett Miller taking director. Well-reviewed mainstream Hollywood films that seem like Oscar hopefuls -- LA Confidential, No Country for Old Men, Mystic River -- have tended to leave Cannes with great critical praise but few major prizes.
Meh, take a look at the history of the best director prize during the last two decades and tell me it doesn't frequently go toward, if not the best-reviewed mainstream Hollywood films at Cannes during those respective years, then that year's "most likely to succeed" among mainstream art house-inclined audiences. Far more often, anyway, than the Palme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Direc ... _Festival)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The reviews for Maps to the Stars were more mixed than negative with Julianne Moore's over-the-top performance receiving the best notices. It's not the type of role that generally wins lead Oscars and despite her top billing, MIa Wasikowska, not Moore, is the focal character. It reminds me of the billing in Good Will Hunting in which Robin Williams was billed over Matt Damon but went on to win a supporting actor Oscar after having previously been nominated for several leads which suggests there might be a push to nominate her in support where could win in a weak year for that category.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I was also surprised by the Julianne Moore win. The revews - for the movie at least - didn't seem that great. Still, let's face it - she's adored in Europe. Adored and respected, as probably no other contemporary American actress, except of course Meryl Streep, is. I'm not sure that she's that popular in her own country, and this is why not only this Best Actress prize won't lead, obviously, to an Oscar nomination, but also it's possible that, despite Berlin, Venice and Cannes, she will never get an Oscar. And God knows - Europe or not, she'd deserve at least one.

I'm more optimistic about Timothy Spall's and, in theory, Bennett Miller's chances. And some of the foreign winners could be sent by their respective countries as candidates for Best Foreign Film (though I definitely hope that Italy won't choose this one).
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I don't think Julianne Moore's performance or the film were well received at all. Other then the award for Moore, all the others given seem quite respectable when one weighs in the strength of their respective reviews.

I get the impression that based on the reviews of Map to the Stars and Cosmopolis, Cronenberg's best years may be long gone. Hopefully he can find his mojo again sometime in the future (time is running out though given he has just turned 70).

The only big loser appears to have been the Dardene Brothers' Two Days, One Night which went home empty handed. But hey, Jane Campion completely miscast Elizabeth Moss in Top of the Lake so she is entitled to head jury that makes as least one lapse of judgement. And every year the Cannes jury prizes include at least one head scratcher and this year it's Moore.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

A day-long family gathering kept me from commenting till now.

On the whole, a down-the-middle slate by recent Cannes standards: a denied-till-now auteur finally wins the Palme for a well-received film. Two reasonably well-known actors win for performances that won pretty wide acclaim. Near-runners like Mommy and Leviathan get decent recognition with secondary prizes. Closest to a surprise are Dolan showing up in a tie with Godard (possibly meant to link them as the new and old provocateurs) and Bennett Miller taking director. Well-reviewed mainstream Hollywood films that seem like Oscar hopefuls -- LA Confidential, No Country for Old Men, Mystic River -- have tended to leave Cannes with great critical praise but few major prizes.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

dws1982 wrote:Damien also hated Timothy Spall.
He (rightfully) hated everything that involed Mike Leigh
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Damien also hated Timothy Spall.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Poor Damien must be spinning in whatever he's in right now. Julianne Moore wins the festival trifecta and Bennett Miller Is declared a better director than Godard or Assayas.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Moore joins Jack Lemmon, Sean Penn and Juliette Binoche as only the fourth player to win at all three European film festivals. She's the only one of the four without an Oscar. Let the predictions begin.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

So now Julianne Moore has won two Emmys, a Golden Globe, the European "best actress triple crown" (Berlin, Venice and now Cannes)... An Oscar should/could come her way sometime... Putting awards aside, I am glad we have her.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “87th Predictions and Precursors”