First 2014 Predicitons

For the films of 2014
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: First 2014 Predicitons

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:A reason to reconsider Robert Duvall's chances:

For the past two weeks, a screener for The Judge has been sitting on my roommate's television (she's in the PGA) along with The Lego Movie. They must be the first two screeners to go out this year. For this brief stretch before the rest of the screeners go out, Academy voters in retirement homes are going to have to choose between The Judge and The Lego Movie. I'm sure some of them are going to see The Lego Movie. The vast majority will give The Judge a view and retired Academy voters in retirement homes are probably the perfect audience for that film and Robert Duvall's doubtlessly showy performance.

NOTE: it's been brought to my attention that Belle and Cavalry were sent out early as well. So The Judge and The Lego Movie were not the first, which I may have implied.
It's Calvary, not Cavalry - it's not a western.

Duvall might get a nomination for The Judge given the lack of strong competition but he won't win for a performance he could do in his sleep in a cliché-ridden film. Whatever support he gets will more likely come from younger actors who see him as an acting god, not his contemporaries in retirement homes who see him as having been honored enough.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

A reason to reconsider Robert Duvall's chances:

For the past two weeks, a screener for The Judge has been sitting on my roommate's television (she's in the PGA) along with The Lego Movie. They must be the first two screeners to go out this year. For this brief stretch before the rest of the screeners go out, Academy voters in retirement homes are going to have to choose between The Judge and The Lego Movie. I'm sure some of them are going to see The Lego Movie. The vast majority will give The Judge a view and retired Academy voters in retirement homes are probably the perfect audience for that film and Robert Duvall's doubtlessly showy performance.

NOTE: it's been brought to my attention that Belle and Calvary were sent out early as well. So The Judge and The Lego Movie were not the first, which I may have implied.
Last edited by Sabin on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ wrote:
flipp525 wrote:As far as Best Supporting Actor, I think Channing Tatum might be able to sneak into a field this weak, giving us two BSA nominees in the same film since 1991.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. LET'S PRETEND CATEGORY FRAUD NEVER HAPPENS SO WE DON'T ACCIDENTALLY WILL IT INTO EXISTENCE.
I didn't say that I wanted it to happen, just that it could (but probably won't).
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I thought that Channing Tatum was going to get nominated for Foxcatcher, but isn't he getting pushed for lead?

No, The Judge doesn't have to do good business but it's a very obscure looking and sounding film. I mean, it's called "The Judge" for pete's sake. It's a September release and it's one of the only Robert Downey Jr. films to flop since his most recent comeback. According to boxofficemojo, it's made only $13 million more than The Soloist.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

flipp525 wrote:As far as Best Supporting Actor, I think Channing Tatum might be able to sneak into a field this weak, giving us two BSA nominees in the same film since 1991.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. LET'S PRETEND CATEGORY FRAUD NEVER HAPPENS SO WE DON'T ACCIDENTALLY WILL IT INTO EXISTENCE.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Judge looks uniformly awful.

Robert Duvall won the Hollywood Film Award for Best Supporting Actor on Friday (whatever that is) and just went on and on and on and on in his speech. I'm really not interested in seeing an entire movie with him in it right now.

As far as Best Supporting Actor, I think Channing Tatum might be able to sneak into a field this weak, giving us two BSA nominees in the same film since 1991.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Does The Judge have to do good business for Duvall to get a nod? Don't think that is a prerequisite.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's my understanding that Tim Roth as George Wallace has a showier role than Wilkinson as LBJ. Tom Wilkinson had better be very good as LBJ to go through an award season without comparisons to Bryan Cranston.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Unbroken is having its world premiere tonight in Australia so we may have a better idea of the hype surrounding Miyavi soon. In addition to Wilkinson as LBJ, Selma has Tim Roth as George Wallace.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Miyavi supposedly has a meaty part in Unbroken that could carry through. And Tom Wilkinson as LBJ supposedly gets some big moments. Both could be swept in nominations!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Is it just me or does Best Supporting Actor look curiously underpopulated this year? I'm having a difficult time tabulating five likely nominees. After Edward Norton for Birdman, Mark Ruffalo for Foxcatcher, and J.K. Simmons for Whiplash, it gets pretty spare. I don't think that Ethan Hawke necessarily deserves a nomination for Boyhood but he seems likely to get swept along if only for managing his schedule that well for ten years. And then who? There are a few films that have yet to be seen like Into the Woods and Unbroken, but word from American Sniper, Big Eyes, and Selma at AFI Fest don't favor a standout supporting turn. Josh Brolin and Martin Short are apparently quite good in Inherent Vice, a film that doesn't seem to be The Academy's cup of tea. Neil Patrick Harris certainly had a memorable role in Gone Girl, but it was a bit broad. And The Judge didn't do well enough for Robert Duvall to get one last nomination for the road.

What do you guys think?
"How's the despair?"
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Having just listened to Billy Boyd's "The Last Goodbye" from The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, I can think of no scenario in which the Academy does not nominate it for Best Original Song. It might actually be the best song from the entire franchise, including both nominated songs from The Lord of the Rings.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Greg wrote:So, if The Imitation Game, The Theory Of Everything, Selma, Unbroken, and Foxcatcher all get nominated for Best Picture, that would mean there are five non-fiction nominees. Has that ever happened before?
Last year had 6...12 Years a Slave, American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Dallas Buyers Club, Philomena, Wolf of Wall Street
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

So, if The Imitation Game, The Theory Of Everything, Selma, Unbroken, and Foxcatcher all get nominated for Best Picture, that would mean there are five non-fiction nominees. Has that ever happened before?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I don't go to Sasha Stone's site, but I guess there's truth in that. Pictures at a Revolution is one of the few books I sat down once to read and just finished right there. It's fantastic. I'm still going to give myself a pass for thinking that Mark Harris was the guy who loved The King's Speech not Dave Karger.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “87th Predictions and Precursors”