Ten months out - Best Picture

For the films of 2014
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Ten months out - Best Picture

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
Reza wrote:Homophobic and racist? I find that hilarious.
I'm not sure why you would find it hilarious. Frankly, I'd be embarrassed about it if I were you.
I found your accusation hilarious, flipp :)
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

So much drama on here.

if ksrymy wants to post predictions he can. Who cares. What else is there to discuss on this site during the "off season" of the awards. I do personally think it's too early considering we are only in April. I will say I have seen three worthy performances so far and that is Jessica Brown Findlay for Supporting Actress- Winter's Tale and Scarlett Johannson for Actress in Under her Skin and now Kristina Klebe for Supporting Actress in Proxy... other than that it's too early, but again who cares. Let him have his fun
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:Homophobic and racist? I find that hilarious.
I'm not sure why you would find it hilarious. Frankly, I'd be embarrassed about it if I were you.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You should ask Elaine Stritch about being Acidic and Venomous. She ain't no spring chicken.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
Reza wrote:Good to see old age has not withered flipp's acidity which, at least, brought forth a spurt of discussion even though it merely added to his unnecessary venom.

Guys why criticise a person who is at least trying to keep things moving here.
I'm in mid-30s. If that's old age, what does that make you?

Also, I'd rather be acidic and/or venomous than homophobic and racist as you have been in the past.

It was not my intention to directly attack krysmy, but it's just not something I'd ever seen on this Board before. Maybe a brief mention of the other sites. But whole threads devoted to them with links provided was startling.
Hahaha that age thingee got you, flipp. Even mid-30s is a bit long in the tooth to continue with so much acidity and venom. You were like that in 2004 when we may have considered it cute. Now it's rather tedious and frankly a bore.

Homophobic and racist? I find that hilarious.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Reza wrote:Good to see old age has not withered flipp's acidity which, at least, brought forth a spurt of discussion even though it merely added to his unnecessary venom.

I'm in mid-30s. If that's old age, what does that make you?

Also, I'd rather be acidic and/or venomous than homophobic and racist as you have been in the past.

It was not my intention to directly attack krysmy, but it's just not something I'd ever seen on this Board before. Maybe a brief mention of the other sites. But whole threads devoted to them with links provided was startling.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Good to see old age has not withered flipp's acidity which, at least, brought forth a spurt of discussion even though it merely added to his unnecessary venom.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And would it kill anyone to visit my site every one in awhile? That site is what keeps THIS site operational. I shut down one, I shut down the other.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

mlrg wrote:Magilla, why didn’t you post your predictions both at cinemasight page AND at the forums? At least we wouldn’t be parroting other sites. Do we all really visit cinemasight on a daily basis? I sure don’t.
I could either do that or post a link to CinemaSight after they are posted there.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The site is dying because certain posters drove away some of our more frequent contributors. It's not for lack of desire to discuss the Oscars.

On top of this, I take umbrage at the linking of predictions from competing sites. Not that I compete much anymore. I don't have the time or desire to try to compete with sites that, for whatever reason, became more popular than mine. I've shifted focus to regular film criticism with a side focus on the Oscars since obviously I'm not going to be able to compete with people who live in big cities with access to major veins of discussion and I also refuse to heap lavish praise on films in a hope of influencing the Oscars discussion. I'm not a "Oscar blogger" in the traditional sense, not for lack of trying, but because I'm not the kind of person who heaps unwarranted praise on something just in the hopes of driving traffic.

But what should I care? You guys can keep driving traffic to others. Maybe you'll find the solace you desire. Nothing can compete with original thought even if it's in the name of starting a discussion.
Wesley Lovell
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I understand both OG and Magilla’s point of view but at least ksrymy started a new thread and I see no harm on that.

If you even bitch about someone starting a new thread (even if it’s parroting someone else’s predicitions) this board will sink even more. It’s mostly dead anyway by these days. How many of us are we really? And ksrymy is probably the only exciting new addition to the forums during the last years.

And Magilla, why didn’t you post your predictions both at cinemasight page AND at the forums? At least we wouldn’t be parroting other sites. Do we all really visit cinemasight on a daily basis? I sure don’t.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ksrymy wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:It's one thing to post predictions, it's another to copy-and-paste predictions from someone else's site.
I see no reason to bitch about this when I clearly posted a link to where I found the info.
The problem is that this is a sad reflection of what the board used to be when members came up with their own ideas as opposed to parroting someone else's. Still, it could have value if used as a starting point from which to have a discussion of our own.

I submitted my own first predictions to CinemaSight over the weekend which won't be posted until early May. It was difficult to do based solely on synopses of the upcoming films and it's far from perfect but it's mine own. I've purposely stayed away from the other sites so as not to contaminate my first predictions. I'd considered most of the films Awards Circuit has predicted for Best Picture, cited some of them myself, rejected others and completely overlooked one. Where we have the most initial disagreement is in the acting awards predictions. Supporting Actress gave me the most difficulty simply because so little is known at this point about the characters being portrayed.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

OscarGuy wrote:It's one thing to post predictions, it's another to copy-and-paste predictions from someone else's site.
I see no reason to bitch about this when I clearly posted a link to where I found the info.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It's one thing to post predictions, it's another to copy-and-paste predictions from someone else's site.
Wesley Lovell
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

flipp525 wrote:Is this really what the UAADB has come to? Copy and paste jobs from Awards fucking Daily? Cue Damian rolling in his grave.
At least someone is posting predictions. That's how this board started anyway

Return to “87th Predictions and Precursors”