Who Will Be Back?

For the films of 2013
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Who Will Be Back?

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Mister Tee usually starts this thread, and we usually wait a little bit before it gets going. Lets all get our feelings on the weekend out before we start looking forward!
Did Mister Tee ever post his?
Mister Tee mentioned in another post that he is busy writing his annual version.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:Mister Tee usually starts this thread, and we usually wait a little bit before it gets going. Lets all get our feelings on the weekend out before we start looking forward!
Not even a week has gone by since the Oscars!
No doubt, just thought I'd missed it.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:Lupita Nyong'o - has the potential of going where no African-American actress has gone before. Her fashion sense has already seen her compared to no less an icon than Audrey Hepburn. I can see her in remakes of Hepburn's Roman Holiday; Sabrina (even though it's been done unsuccessfully before); Breakfast at Tiffany's; Charade and even The Nun's Story or similar projects of her own.
Or, how about her as Eliza Doolitle in a remake of My Fair Lady? She could reuinte with Michael Fassbender who would play Henry Higgins as a less-brutal slave master. :lol:
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

flipp525 wrote:
Not even a week has gone by since the Oscars!
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:Lupita Nyong'o - has the potential of going where no African-American actress has gone before. Her fashion sense has already seen her compared to no less an icon than Audrey Hepburn. I can see her in remakes of Hepburn's Roman Holiday; Sabrina (even though it's been done unsuccessfully before); Breakfast at Tiffany's; Charade and even The Nun's Story or similar projects of her own.
Um, please no to all of these!

Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

It would be a huge disappointment if both Steve McQueen and Alfonso Cuarón won't be back.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Sure, Why Not's:

Leonardo DiCaprio - he tends to pick interesting projects and has the clout to get them made. Whether he ends up like Peter O'Toole, with eight nods, no wins and an honorary Oscar toward the end of his life remains to be seen.

Cate Blanchett - she's already the Meryl Streep of her generation. The next nod is only a matter of time.

Meryl Streep - the lady herself will almost certainly be back a few more times before fading into the sunset.

Chiwetel Ejoifor - the new Denzel Washington? Could be.

Lupita Nyong'o - has the potential of going where no African-American actress has gone before. Her fashion sense has already seen her compared to no less an icon than Audrey Hepburn. I can see her in remakes of Hepburn's Roman Holiday; Sabrina (even though it's been done unsuccessfully before); Breakfast at Tiffany's; Charade and even The Nun's Story or similar projects of her own.

Michael Fassbender - definitely now that they finally seem to know who he is.

Jennifer Lawrence - yes, many times unless she gets bored and chucks the whole thing.

Amy Adams - yes, but no. 6 may be a few years away.

Alfonso Cuaron - now that he has the clout.

Steve McQueen - nothing can stop him now.

The maybes:

Judi Dench - with her advanced age and failing eyesight it's doubtful she'll be given another major starring role, but could still show up in support.

Matthew McConaughey - we'll see how long his recent good fortune lasts, but like his buddy Lance Armstrong, his self-serving attitude might end up doing him in.

Jared Leto - a chameleon capable of doing great things but only he can decide whether his music or his acting is more important to him.

Christian Bale - another chameleon, but he'll have to pick the right projects.

Sally Hawkins - if she chooses her roles carefully.

Julia Roberts - possibly but just as possibly not.

Sandra Bullock - will probably never have another iconic role , but you never know.

Martin Scorsese - more likely than not, but he's getting on.

Alexander Payne - maybe yes, maybe no, I can see him being recognized for his writing more than for his directing in the future.

David O. Russell - only if they don't tire of him.

The no's:

Bruce Dern - he'll continue to get work as long as he wants it, but Nebraska was his high water mark.

June Squibb - few heard of her before; few will hear of her again.

Bradley Cooper - could surprise, but he's really a lightweight despite his back-to-back nominations.

Jonah Hill - not unless he gets very lucky.

Barkhad Abdi - nice guy, but sadly his opportunities seem very limited.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

dws1982 wrote:Nailed was (mostly) filmed in 2008 before production was shut down due to the crew not getting paid. Russell walked away from it before he made The Fighter. There are some rumors that some new producers have tried to salvage the movie into something workable, but if it gets released, Russell most likely won't have anything to do with it.
How sad! :cry: I am usually against other directors coming on and finishing a film, but maybe they will do that for this one. It just sounds so interesting, and the cast looks great.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

ksrymy wrote:
dws1982 wrote:Production on Nailed was shut down in 2008 due to financing issues. It's unlikely to ever be completed or released.
Same thing for Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, but that's happening this year.
Totally different scenario. The Sin City went through a lengthy and difficult pre-production, but did not actually begin shooting until 2012. Nailed was (mostly) filmed in 2008 before production was shut down due to the crew not getting paid. Russell walked away from it before he made The Fighter. There are some rumors that some new producers have tried to salvage the movie into something workable, but if it gets released, Russell most likely won't have anything to do with it.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

dws1982 wrote:Production on Nailed was shut down in 2008 due to financing issues. It's unlikely to ever be completed or released.
Same thing for Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, but that's happening this year.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Production on Nailed was shut down in 2008 due to financing issues. It's unlikely to ever be completed or released.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Sabin wrote:I'm not holding my breath on Nailed.

CHECKS IMDB
Oh! Well then.
I expect closer to old school David O. Russell than anything in ages.
That is what has me excited. My first David O. Russell experience was THREE KINGS. It is a brilliant film, both visually (seeing what a bullet does to a body) and politically (blood for oil prior to the second Iraq war). I found I HEART HUCKABEES to be a trippy, delightful film. THE FIGHTER was very different in style and tone than his two previous films, but it was still very enjoyable and well acted. SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK was an absolute disaster. The jiterry camera-work along with the extra-shouty acting was such a turn-off. The big football speech from Lawrence that people love so much was so stupid, and the big dance scene at the end was so cheesy I kept hoping for a BRAZIL-style twist at the end showing Cooper's character had been lobotomized and the whole thing was a dream. AMERICAN HUSTLE was a fun and goofy film that I enjoyed, but its style was pure homage (or rip-off) of Scorsese.

I am hoping NAILED brings back the sharp mind and strong eye that I expect from David O. Russell.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Phineas Gage was hot as hell.

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Nailed appears like it might have been inspired by the real-life case of Phineas Gage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”