Best Picture

For the films of 2013
Eenusch
Graduate

Re: Best Picture

Post by Eenusch »

I thought the rules were changed a few years back limiting the number of producers eligible per picture to three.

It looked like more than three 12 Years people were given Oscars for Best Picture.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I had gut feelings about Picture and Original Screenplay this whole season (c'mon American Hustle was NEVER going to win the latter). I'm glad I stuck with them.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Some people here write very persuasively....

Although 12 Years won Best Picture, it still only won 2 other awards. Will that hurt its front-runner status, maybe?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And one last thing. I'm going to stop listening to you guys. Other than my own stupid belief that 12 Years could win Costume Design, three of the four last-minute swaps I made were based on posts here. I should go with my gut more often and ignore you people. My chance at 23/24 became 19/24.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Also, this is now the fewest number of Best Picture nominees to win Oscars. Only four of the 9 nominees this year won any Oscars. Five was the previous low, but that was at least more than 50% of the nominees. 1999 was the last time fewer than 50% of the Best Picture nominees won Oscars. 1994 before that, 1987, 1972 (oddly enough), 1966, 1957, 1940. I won't count anything from 1934 prior as there were too many Best Picture nominees that only had the Best Picture nomination to count.

This data is more for me than anything, but feel free to enjoy. 7 times since 1934 where less than 50% have won Oscars. That's interesting, IMO.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Steve McQueen missed out on becoming the first black person to win Best Director (although you’d expect him to have another shot at this...), but did he become the first black person to win Best Picture as a producer?
Aceisgreat
Temp

Post by Aceisgreat »

Forget the winner. I'm still trying to get over Razzie winner Will Smith presenting...
"I can't stand a naked light bulb any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action." -- Blanche DuBois
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Considering how many times I've referenced The Godfather/Cabaret this season, that's why I easily remember.
Wesley Lovell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Right now, I feel like a room without a roof.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I haven’t seen all the nominees, but I have seen the strongest contenders (Hustle, Gravity and 12 Years) and I have to say I feel good about this choice. And I feel Gravity is an excellent film also.

...And I can’t believe I forgot about Cabaret’s eight wins.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

It's not my favourite of the bunch (Nebraska is), but I'm ok with it winning.

The moment Cuaron won and didn't get a standing ovation I knew 12YAS was winning.

This felt a very long oscar season.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Though, it does tie Star Wars for second-most.
Wesley Lovell
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

I thought ARGO only winning two Oscars other than Best Picture was a strange fluke, but it happened again the next year. I just thought if a dark movie like 12 YEARS A SLAVE was going to take Best Picture, it would have won a few more other awards. No complaints since it is definitely the best winner since THE HURT LOCKER, and is a nice change from the past three frivolous winners. I look forward to seeing what McQueen does next.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I would've been completely okay with Gravity winning, but this one will really go up into the upper echelon of Best Picture winners, as far as I'm concerned.

Once again, it loses several awards throughout the night and then manages to pull off the win at the end.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Heksagon wrote:I suppose Gravity is now the most Awarded film to not win Best Picture.
Cabaret had 8
Wesley Lovell

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”