Best Actress

For the films of 2013
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: Best Actress

Post by rolotomasi99 »

dws1982 wrote:
Franz Ferdinand wrote:Anyone read into Blanchett's kinda-backhanded compliment about Bullock ("I could watch your performance forever. And it felt like I did" - along those lines)? Sandy did NOT look too pleased as Cate walked off stage afterwards.
I don't think Blanchett meant it in a bad way but it came out wrong.
Yeah, I think she just meant the movie was stressful. Many people reported white-knuckling throughout most of GRAVITY. I think that is what she was talking about.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:Anyone read into Blanchett's kinda-backhanded compliment about Bullock ("I could watch your performance forever. And it felt like I did" - along those lines)? Sandy did NOT look too pleased as Cate walked off stage afterwards.
I don't think Blanchett meant it in a bad way but it came out wrong.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Anyone read into Blanchett's kinda-backhanded compliment about Bullock ("I could watch your performance forever. And it felt like I did" - along those lines)? Sandy did NOT look too pleased as Cate walked off stage afterwards.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

Meryl Streep has been nominated for so many awards, so many times that I always recognize her husband Don Gummer whenever awards season arrives.

Oh, there he is, looking older. See you again next year, Don.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

So this discussion has strayed a little off-topic. What a long winded speech, did they not bother at all with playing them off stage this year?
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Rolo,

I pretty much agree with you and what is also disturbing is that irreparable damage that he has inflicted on Farrow's family. I used to be a huge Woody Allen fan and still admire his Diane Keaton/Mia Farrow output but I have to leave all my distaste for the man outside of my head when watching his films.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Precious Doll wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:It sounded like a smattering of applause. It also sounded like Woody got the least amount of applause when the Original Screenplay nominees were announced. The man is a genius and his talents should be recognized, but he deserves all the scorn he is receiving. I believe in innocent until proven guilty, but when you marry your daughter you make those accusations against you seem all the more plausible.
Soon-Yi was never legally Woody Allen's daughter. Woody Allen was never actually married to Mia Farrow and he never adopted Soon-Yi. Whether he was a 'father figure' to her is something we don't actually know. Farrow said he was. Allen says he barely had anything to do with Soon-Yi until their relationship started.

By the way I am not defending his relationship with Soon-Yi. Allen's actions were appalling and a shockingly bad case of judgement. But you would be surprised at the number of people in Mia Farrow's position with this same sort happening to them.
I know why he legally got away with it, but I agree with Mia. He met Soon-Yi when he was romantically involved with Farrow. He was around her as she was growing up, whether he wants to say he was a father figure or not. Are we supposed to believe he was totally appropriate in his relationship with Soon-Yi up until she became legal? Most child rapists groom their victims before they strike. They give the child attention and affection, and they make them feel safe. Then once they have seduced the victim in this unique way, they are able to manipulate the child into transferring their parental feelings for the adult into sexual ones. It is just standard pedophile behavior. That is why I find the Dylan Farrow's accusations so believable about Woody. Even if he never touched Soon-Yi before she was of legal age, he was preparing her. That may not be illegal, but to me it is predatory and disgusting.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
Snick's Guy wrote:Cate thanked everyone under the sun except Woody!
No, she definitely thanked Woody. There was also applause for it.
It sounded like a smattering of applause. It also sounded like Woody got the least amount of applause when the Original Screenplay nominees were announced. The man is a genius and his talents should be recognized, but he deserves all the scorn he is receiving. I believe in innocent until proven guilty, but when you marry your daughter you make those accusations against you seem all the more plausible.
Soon-Yi was never legally Woody Allen's daughter. Woody Allen was never actually married to Mia Farrow and he never adopted Soon-Yi. Whether he was a 'father figure' to her is something we don't actually know. Farrow said he was. Allen says he barely had anything to do with Soon-Yi until their relationship started.

By the way I am not defending his relationship with Soon-Yi. Allen's actions were appalling and a shockingly bad case of judgement. But you would be surprised at the number of people in Mia Farrow's position with this same sort happening to them.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:
It sounded like a smattering of applause. It also sounded like Woody got the least amount of applause when the Original Screenplay nominees were announced. The man is a genius and his talents should be recognized, but he deserves all the scorn he is receiving. I believe in innocent until proven guilty, but when you marry your daughter you make those accusations against you seem all the more plausible.
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

wow, how did I miss that
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Cate thanked everyone under the sun except Woody!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Best Actress

Post by OscarGuy »

Cate Blanchett - Blue Jasmine
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”