The Complete List of Oscar Presenters

For the films of 2013
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: The Complete List of Oscar Presenters

Post by Big Magilla »

I think he said she was barely in 12 Years a Slave. Anyway, with the starring role in the remake of Annie she's hardly forgotten. Rooney Mara was in several recent films including Ain't Them Bodies Saints. Anyway, if her acting career fizzles, she can fall back on her family's money. The Maras and the Rooneys (her mother's family) are among the richest families in America.

I agree that some of the Oscar winners you mention, if not all the nominees, should be invited back once in a while. Anna Paquin is the star of a long-running HBO series. She's far from forgotten. Ellen Burstyn seems to be in every other made-for-TV movie or series episode lately. It would be nice to see them as presenters.

We don't need to see your e-mail correspondence with Janet Suzman but it would be nice to know what she's up to. I've seen her in several British mystery series roles over the years in which I like her better than when she was briefly a major star in the 1970s.
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

Again, here we go on the belittling for my choices so let's see if explaining my choices will loosen the leash

Janet Suzman is not dead, I actually spoke via email with Janet back in October, which if you'd like to read I can share if you'd like

I think the absolute two hardest to find would be Catherine Burns who's last address was in Vermont and that was in 2001, the address is no longer good and she was invited into the Academy in 1970 and denied the offer so unless one were to hire a private investigator to track her down, she just does not wan't to be found.

Lynn Carlin would be very very hard to find, it's a pain in the ass to get ahold of her son Dan Carlin who is known in the world of radio and that would be the only way to try and find her, not sure if she is apart of the Academy

I have personally talked to Penelope Milford and Leslie Browne, and Quinn Cummings they were a little tricky to get ahold of but I managed to track them down for a project I'm working on, plus Penelope is on Facebook so you just need to know where to look, as is Quinn but unless you have a personal relationship ie: work or personal with her she won't accept you on her personal page, but you can always like her fanpage

Rooney Mara like Quvenzhane suffer from the fact that the oscars made them widely famous and built them up both, but within a year "tossed" them aside, the oscars are great for bringing in new stars but I hate it when they make someone new boom in hollywood and yet they don't have any use for them afterward. I would have put Gabourey on this list too if she were not announced for presenting this year
Last edited by mojoe92 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wallis is barely even IN 12 Years a Slave. I don't recall if she even utters a word. Though, I don't think she's forgotten. Especially since she'll build buzz, unwarranted I'm sure, for her performance in Annie later this year (or is next? I'm losing track)
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

flipp525 wrote:Rooney Mara? In what way is she a forgotten Oscar nominee? She was nominated two years ago and appears this year in Oscar-nominated her.
And the ever-forgotten youngest-ever Best Actress nominee from one year ago Quvenzhané Wallis who is in 12 Years a Slave this last year.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:Janet Suzman is dead.
No she isn't.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Rooney Mara? In what way is she a forgotten Oscar nominee? She was nominated two years ago and appears this year in Oscar-nominated her.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

And Janet Suzman is dead.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Some of these they'd have to find first. Most would never be asked and those that would, would probably say thanks but no thanks.
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

I would love to know who picks the presenters. There are MANY forgotten oscar nominees/winners overdue for an Academy comeback in the form of presenting

Lynn Carlin
Catherine Burns
Jane Alexander
Ali MacGraw
Linda Blair
Ellen Burstyn
Diana Ross
Cicely Tyson
James Caan
Diahann Carroll
Carol Kane
Isabelle Adjani
Ronee Blakley
Brad Dourif
Marie Christine-Barrult
Quinn Cummings
Leslie Browne
Demian Bichir
Rooney Mara
Peter Firth
Penelope Milford
Barbara Barrie
Justin Henry
Diana Scarwid
Melinda Dillon
Tom Conti
Michael O'Keefe
Lindsay Crouse
Meg Tilly
Margaret Avery
Sally Kirkland
Norma Alejandro
Kathleen Turner
Joan Cusack
Eric Roberts
Kate Nelligan
Jennifer Tilly
Kathleen Quinlan
Marianne-Jean Baptiste
Danny Aiello
Chloe Sevigny
Fernanda Montenegro
Shoreh Aghdashloo
Sophie Okenedo
Catalina Sandino- Moreno
Anna Paquin
Angela Bassett
Stockard Channing
Rinko Kikuchi
David Straitharian
Janet Suzman
Jacki Weaver
John Hawkes
Michelle Williams
Quvenzhane Wallis

I mean I could go on regarding my personal favorites I'd love to see back
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Reza wrote:Is Poitier positioned to present Best Picture to 12 Years a Slave?
It does seem like the kind of thing Zadan & Meron would try to set up, but of course, the final envelope could pretty easily contain the name of another movie.

Anonymous -- to be totally honest, at first I thought you were being sarcastic with your "veteran movie stars," because as I read the list, I couldn't find any. And then I get to Novak and Poitier -- both of whom obviously qualify -- and thought, okay there's a couple. But by and large, this is a pretty boring list of presenters. I mean, are people really still trying to make Jessica Biel happen?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Is Poitier positioned to present Best Picture to 12 Years a Slave?
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Eric wrote:
flipp525 wrote:To my count, there are three, maybe four closeted presenters (Foxx is the maybe.)
To be clear, you're referring to Perry, Spacey and Travolta, right?
I was, yes. However, looking closer at the list, I'd also like to also add Bradley Cooper, Will Smith and Robert Downey, Jr. (pass around bottom extraordinaire) to the on-the-fence list.

To answer my own question, Ian McKellan presented the year of The Lord of the Rings.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

flipp525 wrote:To my count, there are three, maybe four closeted presenters (Foxx is the maybe.)
To be clear, you're referring to Perry, Spacey and Travolta, right?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I don't follow these things close enough to know the timelines, but Nathan Lane has certainly presented, and I believe Elton John too...and Neil Patrick Harris opened the show a few years ago...
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

To my count, there are three, maybe four closeted presenters (Foxx is the maybe.)

And ZERO out gay presenters.

Can anyone recall an out gay presenter at the Oscars? Ellen as host, I know. But presenters?

I offer this only to point out that gays in Hollywood, like Meron and Zadan themselves, are often oddly homophobic.

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”