The Complete List of Oscar Presenters

For the films of 2013
ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: The Complete List of Oscar Presenters

Post by ksrymy »

Greg wrote:If Gravity does win Best Picture, the way I would love to see it presented would be like the "surprise presenter" of last year where Jack Nicholson, an announced presenter, introduced the unannounced Michelle Obama on video feed, only this time the surprise presenter would be Stephen Hawking.
Harrison Ford presents Al Sharpton to read Gravity as the winner.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

If Gravity does win Best Picture, the way I would love to see it presented would be like the "surprise presenter" of last year where Jack Nicholson, an announced presenter, introduced the unannounced Michelle Obama on video feed, only this time the surprise presenter would be Stephen Hawking.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

So, is Harrison Ford presenting Best Picture?

I'd love to see Kim Novak present the top prize. In Vertigo she demonstrated gravity in spectacular fashion...TWICE.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

mlrg wrote:
Eenusch wrote:If Gravity is the Best Picture winner, wouldn't it be great if the presenter, upon opening the envelope, simply made the announcement by holding the card slightly above his shoulder and then gently dropping it, simulating gravity, and saying nothing.

That would be genius.

I doubt Sidney Poitier is up for that.

The producers are betting big time that Poitier will announce 12 Years a Slave as Big Picture.
actually, he's presenting best director
So when McQueen doesn't win, we'll get the same reaction. Same story, different category.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Eenusch wrote:If Gravity is the Best Picture winner, wouldn't it be great if the presenter, upon opening the envelope, simply made the announcement by holding the card slightly above his shoulder and then gently dropping it, simulating gravity, and saying nothing.

That would be genius.

The producers are betting big time that Poitier will announce 12 Years a Slave as Big Picture.
actually, he's presenting best director
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

If Gravity is the Best Picture winner, wouldn't it be great if the presenter, upon opening the envelope, simply made the announcement by holding the card slightly above his shoulder and then gently dropping it, simulating gravity, and saying nothing.

That would be genius.

Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Funnnny Marco :)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:Janet Suzman is dead.
No she isn't.
Oh I'm glad to hear that. Don't know why I thought she had passed on.

Well... I mean... it's possible that dealing with too many obituaries can make one see dead people everywhere after a while... :)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:Janet Suzman is dead.
No she isn't.
Oh I'm glad to hear that. Don't know why I thought she had passed on.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Gabby is also one of the funniest people on Twitter, constantly taking down miserable assholes who complain about her weight. I think the problem isn't the Academy, but Hollywood in general. While it is finally starting to cast black actors in more broadly appealing roles, any actor or actress that is overweight, especially women, are jettisoned in favor of "sexy" people. This has been an issue for a very long time.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

flipp525 wrote:
mojoe92 wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Hollywood hasn’t discarded Gabourey Sidibe. She could've disappeared after her nomination but has secured steady roles in several television series since she was recognized by the Academy. The Big C, American Horror Story: Coven, etc.
Not hollywood, the academy, the academy seemed to discard their found hidden treasure in Gabourey until this year
Well, what were you looking for exactly? That they nominate her for Best Supporting Actress for Tower Heist?
I have to agree. While she does have talent, her fame is caused because her casting in Precious was perfect for the role. There just aren't many roles for morbidly obese people in the industry, and, when they do come up, it's usually skinny actors in drag and fat suits. And she's being typecast as a sassy, bitchy type because, according to Hollywood standards, fat and sassy go together like PB&J. She's super combative in The Big C, and she was mainly comic relief in Coven save for her mid-season stint with Angela Bassett (after that it was snotty one-liners at Kathy Bates' racist Delphine LaLaurie). I haven't seen her smaller releases from 2013, so I don't know how she is portrayed there.

Simply, mojoe, don't get mad when Gabourey inevitably dies out in an industry that can't provide her attention-worthy roles.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

mojoe92 wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Hollywood hasn’t discarded Gabourey Sidibe. She could've disappeared after her nomination but has secured steady roles in several television series since she was recognized by the Academy. The Big C, American Horror Story: Coven, etc.
Not hollywood, the academy, the academy seemed to discard their found hidden treasure in Gabourey until this year
Well, what were you looking for exactly? That they nominate her for Best Supporting Actress for Tower Heist?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

One of the first question's I asked Janet was why she has disappeared from cinema over the years and mainly focus' on theatre.

Her response was - after a certain age you are sick of looking at yourself in such state on the big screen

So she's very good, keeping busy in London on the stage
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Hollywood hasn’t discarded Gabourey Sidibe. She could've disappeared after her nomination but has secured steady roles in several television series since she was recognized by the Academy. The Big C, American Horror Story: Coven, etc.

It was 12 Years a Slave that Oscar Guy said Q was barely in, not Beasts of the Southern Wild. Read closer.

No one is attacking or belittling you, mojoe. You're just not necessarily "reading the crowd" I think is the problem. As you might have been able to deduce (or, perhaps, not), the denizens of this board participate in a higher level of discussion of film, television and industry awards than other sites you might've visited in the past. This isn't fanboy central and comments such as "She sucks! Fuck her!" aren't going to cut it.

Even when tempers flare, there's still a tacit respect one has for other members of this board. For example, I often argue with Italiano. Yet, I have also agreed with him on things in the past and respect his filmic knowledge. If I recall, he was one of the only people on this board who came to my defense when I supported Catherine Keener's nomination for Capote almost a decade ago.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You can post your dream list for Best Actress this year. But I'm also entitled to comment on it if I think it's utterly ridiculous.

I think it's interesting that you have some correspondence with Janet Suzman. That's the kind of interesting tidbit that has kept this board alive since the late 90s when many of us first discovered it. If I were you, I'd sit back and try to pulse the crowd before posting more. You should take FilmFan's post in the other thread to heart.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”