Interview with an Oscar voter

For the films of 2013
Eenusch
Graduate

Re: Interview with an Oscar voter

Post by Eenusch »

Dallas Buyers Club was made in 25 days!!

How is that even possible?
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Mister Tee wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Sounds more like Jodie Foster than Hilary Swank. Foster is also a director - her comments on direction seem to be from an insider's perspective. She could also be channeling her own work on sci-fi films from Contact to Elysium for her appreciation of Gravity.
Plus the snotty remark about "Mr. Woody Allen" -- Jodie's one experience with him (on Shadows and Fog) was notably unpleasant.
Really? What happened?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Sounds more like Jodie Foster than Hilary Swank. Foster is also a director - her comments on direction seem to be from an insider's perspective. She could also be channeling her own work on sci-fi films from Contact to Elysium for her appreciation of Gravity.
Plus the snotty remark about "Mr. Woody Allen" -- Jodie's one experience with him (on Shadows and Fog) was notably unpleasant.
Forgot abut that one.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sounds more like Jodie Foster than Hilary Swank. Foster is also a director - her comments on direction seem to be from an insider's perspective. She could also be channeling her own work on sci-fi films from Contact to Elysium for her appreciation of Gravity.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Hilary Swank? Also, considered Jodie Foster.

--------------------------------

How I’m Voting - EW asked five Academy members to tell us, anonymously, who will be getting their votes for this years Oscars -- and why
Entertainment Weekly

THE ACTRESS: An Oscar winner who’s made a career playing hard-charging women

PICTURE: Gravity The bare-bones filmmaking [on Gravity] was complicated and lengthy, and you don't see any of that [on screen]. You see this effortless, simple, and beautiful story unfold. It's what makes Gravity rise above the rest.

DIRECTOR: Alexander Payne, Nebraska This one is difficult. I like to see the director's hand. I can see [American Hustle director] David O. Russell working with the actors, and I like that. With [Gravity's] Alfonso Cuarón, his use of film is so sophisticated. But how much you can do simply is really exciting to me, so I'm going to end up marking Alexander Payne.

ACTRESS:Amy Adams, American Hustle Amy Adams gives one hell of a performance. She has an extraordinary range and she got David [O. Russell] to use that range, and it's just flat-out great acting. She's in it every moment.

ACTOR : Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club It's such a bold, brave performance. And to shoot that movie in 25 days, it's awesome to do. It's incredibly intense, it's little time for preparation — you're just working the whole way through it.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine I've always adored Sally Hawkins. For me, it's the performance that has the depth, the importance, and the shine. And she had to work with Mr. Woody Allen — that's another reason I'm going to check the box for Sally.

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave It seems like the most difficult of the roles. Jared [Leto] does a great job, but I've always felt male actors like to put on a dress and have some fun. Fassbender has the acting chops. He gave it his all.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2031193 ... 45,00.html
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The obvious explanation is that the molestation happened to someone else - the snub was personal, which makes me think that, yeah, "Pat" is a woman. A man would most likely shrug the incident off, whereas a woman would be more inclined to be offended.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

The most interesting thing - apart from Pat's idiocy, of course - is that molesting a child won't influence his or her vote (and rightly so, I'll add), but being snubbed by a big star would. For you this may be normal, but for me, anthropologically (and I find the "homo Americanus" a really fascinating subject), it's truly... surreal.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:He explains his votes
I got the impression while reading this that the voter who was interviewed was a woman.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

This guys's only vote that's worth a damn is Bruce Dern.'s.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

That doesn't shock me at all ( Jackman)

I am a member of SAG, as well as a voter for the SAG awards and I get the screeners and I have access to go to the screenings at the Academy ( just I'm not an academy voter) and I can tell you a lot of what "Pat" is saying is true. Although other than Judi Dench and Alfonso I don't agree with his votes.

Some of the nicest people to ever meet at the screening in the past 2 years ( I've been a SAG voter since 2009) but never really did the screenings until last year, and the nice ones are

Naomi Watts, Juliette Lewis, Meryl Streep, Quvenzhane Wallis, Jacki Weaver, Jared Leto, and Leonardo DiCaprio

Now on the Hugh Jackman side of the spectrum, well there are just too many to name who think their shit doesn't stink... let's just say there have been alot to "forget" to say hi
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Interview with an Oscar voter

Post by Big Magilla »

He explains his votes for Gravity; Bruce Dern; Judi Dench; Barkhad Abdi; Sally Hawkins; Alfonso Cuaron and Spike Jonze.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ndals.html

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”