Categories One-By-One: Supporting Actress

For the films of 2013
flipp525
Laureate

Re: Categories One-By-One: Supporting Actress

Post by flipp525 »

Great description of June Squibb in Nebraska from R. Kurt on Slant: "And in an explosive scene that tectonically shifts the tone and direction of the movie, with extended relatives getting wind of Woody's "fortune" and begging for handouts, and the immediate Grant family being forced to band together, Kate morphs into someone enticingly enigmatic—a loving wife whose initial criticisms of her husband's laziness are suddenly replaced by intimations of his hard-working past. Such is the point where Squibb's performance becomes as revelatory as Dern's, and a moment that, rather than reading as contradictory, registers as the profound unearthing of great care masked by decades of sarcasm."
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

FilmFan720 wrote:I was merely trying to help. I won't do that the next time.

And I went back to the Evaluating the Nominees thread. oiwerjwjhgew8ty0w4ugj9erg8erhf and I still hate that bitch for stealing Q Wallis Oscar do not help me understand your opinions.
I agree. I do not think your opinions are presented intelligently; they just sound like catty remarks overheard at a coffee shop or high school cafeteria. You give little more than a sentence on each one.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I was merely trying to help. I won't do that the next time.

And I went back to the Evaluating the Nominees thread. oiwerjwjhgew8ty0w4ugj9erg8erhf and I still hate that bitch for stealing Q Wallis Oscar do not help me understand your opinions.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

FilmFan720 wrote:
mojoe92 wrote: It is a weak year, and that is my opinion which I'm entitled to. I am a SAG voter, have been, and it's not anything I need to prove to you. Seriously, ever since I joined this site I am always belittled and told I am wrong for my opinions. What the fuck is wrong with my choices? Seriously, it's old at this point
mojoe, I don't think it is your actual choices (we certainly have other posters with even more outside-the-box selections) but the tone in which you present them. There are a lot of harsh statements about how this person is the worst ever, or fuck no, or calling someone perfect, with no real explanations of why. Something that a lot of us try to do here is make bold statements but support them with the reasons behind them. Those of us still around this board cherish the intelligent discussion that we bring out in each other (or at least try to).

As a SAG member, and I am guessing someone with real acting experience, I would love to hear your more explained thoughts on why Lupita Nyong'o was so good. I have taught acting for over a decade, as well as having worked as a professional actor and director, and found quite a bit of what she did pushing (although that is a script problem just as much as her). What makes Jennifer Lawrence so horrible? I think we would all relish your unique insight into these races and the work, but I will warn you, grand proclamations with no support behind them won't be taken well here.
I have backed up my reasonings in the "Evaluating the Nominees" section. Every single one. My reasonings are there. If I were to take each topic and explain in every post my position I would have been kicked off this site by now for writing books of the same thing. It's all there, now when it came to the actual SAG awards this year and voting my Supporting Actress vote went to Oprah ( even though she was the lead) I am very passionate about this stuff as you are all as well, but at what point do I kind of not have my meltdown ( as above) since day one I have gotten shit, it's just been a lot to take in over time
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

mojoe92 wrote: It is a weak year, and that is my opinion which I'm entitled to. I am a SAG voter, have been, and it's not anything I need to prove to you. Seriously, ever since I joined this site I am always belittled and told I am wrong for my opinions. What the fuck is wrong with my choices? Seriously, it's old at this point
mojoe, I don't think it is your actual choices (we certainly have other posters with even more outside-the-box selections) but the tone in which you present them. There are a lot of harsh statements about how this person is the worst ever, or fuck no, or calling someone perfect, with no real explanations of why. Something that a lot of us try to do here is make bold statements but support them with the reasons behind them. Those of us still around this board cherish the intelligent discussion that we bring out in each other (or at least try to).

As a SAG member, and I am guessing someone with real acting experience, I would love to hear your more explained thoughts on why Lupita Nyong'o was so good. I have taught acting for over a decade, as well as having worked as a professional actor and director, and found quite a bit of what she did pushing (although that is a script problem just as much as her). What makes Jennifer Lawrence so horrible? I think we would all relish your unique insight into these races and the work, but I will warn you, grand proclamations with no support behind them won't be taken well here.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

flipp525 wrote:
mojoe92 wrote:
flipp525 wrote:I second the recommendation for Sandy Dennis in Another Woman. A simply brilliant cameo that I would've nominated that year in Best Supporting Actress.

On-topic: This just came over me the other night, but could there possibly be a...wait for it...TIE in this category between Lupita and Jennifer?

I would love to see another acting tie just as much as the next person, but a tie where both actually deserve it. Lupita yes, Jennifer? Absolutely not. I've stated before that this is a very very weak year in almost every category but the only other person IMO who deserves to tie with Lupita would be Julia Roberts, no other supporting actress nominated this year is any good besides those two
No offense, but no, it's not "a weak year in almost every category." You're the only person who thinks that. You also claim to be a SAG voter and, honestly, I'm having a hard time believing that.
It is a weak year, and that is my opinion which I'm entitled to. I am a SAG voter, have been, and it's not anything I need to prove to you. Seriously, ever since I joined this site I am always belittled and told I am wrong for my opinions. What the fuck is wrong with my choices? Seriously, it's old at this point
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

mojoe92 wrote:
flipp525 wrote:I second the recommendation for Sandy Dennis in Another Woman. A simply brilliant cameo that I would've nominated that year in Best Supporting Actress.

On-topic: This just came over me the other night, but could there possibly be a...wait for it...TIE in this category between Lupita and Jennifer?

I would love to see another acting tie just as much as the next person, but a tie where both actually deserve it. Lupita yes, Jennifer? Absolutely not. I've stated before that this is a very very weak year in almost every category but the only other person IMO who deserves to tie with Lupita would be Julia Roberts, no other supporting actress nominated this year is any good besides those two
No offense, but no, it's not "a weak year in almost every category." You're the only person who thinks that. You also claim to be a SAG voter and, honestly, I'm having a hard time believing that.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I second the recommendation for Sandy Dennis in Another Woman. A simply brilliant cameo that I would've nominated that year in Best Supporting Actress.

mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

ksrymy wrote:mojoe, if you want to look at a cameo role that is truly worthy of a nomination, do yourself a favor and watch Woody Allen's Another Woman and see how Sandy Dennis does it.

And I think you are literally the only person on this board who found The Butler any kind of good.
I will have to check that out, it's one of the few Allen films I have not seen.

Did I love the butler? eh. it was good, brilliant? no. but the only two things I LOVED out of it was Oprah and Jane. Even Forest was "meh" to me
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

mojoe, if you want to look at a cameo role that is truly worthy of a nomination, do yourself a favor and watch Woody Allen's Another Woman and see how Sandy Dennis does it.

And I think you are literally the only person on this board who found The Butler any kind of good.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

Sabin wrote:Jane Fonda for The Butler?
Yes sir.

Here's my thing, if you can pull off an impressive performance in a cameo role then it should be in consideration. Jane is a seasoned professional who is quite amazing as an actress and pulls off an even more amazing Nancy Reagan, her time may be short in her actual dialogue scene but she works with what she has and it is spectacular.

So I do stand by my choice there. Remember, Sylvia Miles in Midnight Cowboy and Judi Dench in Shakespere in Love had almost nothing to work with and yet they were able to pull of nominations and one win... why couldn't jane?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Jane Fonda for The Butler?
"How's the despair?"
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
flipp525 wrote:save possibly for Gravity
Of course. Gravity is SO original...

Are you all here brainwashed or what?
I find this response utterly rude and I'm not responding to it. Yes, all people who have a different opinion than you are "brainwashed", clearly. That's exactly what must be happening here. //epic eyeroll

I mean, many things can be said of Gravity - for example that it's well-made, etc. But ORIGINAL...!
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

This year's Supporting Actress category is probably the weakest line-up in a long long time

June Squibb- June was good, funny, and hit her comedy marks when needed, but I definitely wouldn't call it an Oscar worthy performance. At times it also seemed like she was reciting her lines via que-cards

Sally Hawkins- I have revisited the Blue Jasmine screener numerous times trying to figure out a few things- How in the hell did she beat out Oprah for a spot ( even though Oprah is the lead actress and I put her in my personal lead category) also trying to figure out how she pulled off any nominations this year as she did nothing nor had a singular scene that was oscar worthy

Julia Roberts- August: Osage County, I have a personal friend who was in the main cast in this film and the stories I have heard behind the scenes are just too much. Julia is nothing more but trying to "out meryl" meryl streep. hardly what I would call oscar worthy.more obnoxious than anything

Jennifer Lawrence- FUCK NO. American Hustle was the worst film I have seen come out of Hollywood in 10 years. The acting was ATROCIOUS from everyone, there was no plot, and I have an issue when your film takes place in the 70's and yet your talking like a modern day hipster. This film deserves razzies not oscars. I have lost respect for the Academy over the years for the oscars they have given out ( ex. Natalie Portman, Melissa Leo, Anne Hathaway, Jennifer Lawrence) but this is my last straw with them with nominating Hustle for ANYTHING.

Lupita Nyong'o - The clear winner out of the group and my favorite. She is perfect and will win without a doubt. She is the strongest of the group and puts most veteran actors to shame.

My line up would have been

Lupita Nyong'o- 12 Years a Slave
Juliette Lewis- August: Osage County
Jane Fonda- The Butler
Lili Taylor- The Conjuring
Marianne Jean-Baptiste- Violet & Daisy

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”