Academy disqualifies an Oscar-nominee!

For the films of 2013
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: Academy disqualifies an Oscar-nominee!

Post by rolotomasi99 »

dreaMaker wrote:Rules are rules, but then why Nicolas Chartier remained an Oscar-nominee (and eventually a winner) after the same situation with The Hurt Locker?
Probably due to the fact that Chartier had never been in a position of any type of authority in the Academy. That is the impropriety to which the Governing Board specifically objected.

I agree that Chartier should have lost his nomination, particularly because it would have been a deserving punishment for harassing Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Big Magilla wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:This whole story has been divine. Ridiculous/obscure nominee, kitschy video, backroom dealing -- THERE'S your American Hustle.
At least it kept Taylor Swift from being nominated.
And Lana del Ray.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Well, that nomination sounded strange from the beginning. In this case the Academy can be only praised - this is how a serious organization should behave.
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

I have to admit, I was kind of looking forward to watching this song being performed. I was hoping it was going to be a car-crash TV moment.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

You'll find a few more, if you the article in the opening post.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I believe this is actually the sixth time that a nomination has been rescinded. Let me know if I missed one:

1953 Best Story for Hondo: The Academy learned that the story had previously been published as a short story, and declared the nominee ineligible.

1956 Best Story for High Society: One of my favorite stories. There were two films named High Society that year, the classic Frank Sinatra-Grace Kelly musical (which was not an original story) and a B-level Bowery Boys comedy. The Bowery Boys comedy got nominated here, and the screenwriters came out and admitted that people probably didn't want to nominated their film, were confused, and that they should rescind the nomination. The Academy did.

1969 Best Documentary for The Young Americans: This film actually won the Oscar, and three days later had the Oscar rescinded when it was discovered that the film had previously opened before the eligibility period.

1972 Best Score for The Godfather: Nino Rota's nomination was rescinded when it was discovered that the Love Theme was lifted from his own score for an Italian film from the 1950s. He would win two years later for The Godfather Part II (which also contained that Love Theme).

1992 Best Foreign Language Film for A Place in the World: This nomination was rescinded when it was discovered that most of the artistic control for the film came from Argentina, not Uruguay which had submitted the film.

2013 Best Song for Alone Yet Not Alone: The nominated song was deemed disqualified when it came out that the composer (a former chairman of the music branch of The Academy) had sent out emails to voters encouraging them to take his film under consideration, breaking the rules for campaigning.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Sonic Youth wrote:Every Oscar season, I always feel terrible that Damien isn't around to witness what's going on because there's always something interesting happening. Interesting races, interesting precedents, and interesting controversies like this one. As an Academy Awards historian, he would have loved watching this going on.
And can you imagine the entry for it in Inside Oscar 3? It would have been priceless.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:This whole story has been divine. Ridiculous/obscure nominee, kitschy video, backroom dealing -- THERE'S your American Hustle.
At least it kept Taylor Swift from being nominated.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

The Original BJ wrote:That article contains some pretty outrageous errors, too.

Obviously this is not the first case of a nominee being disqualified before the ceremony -- HELLO, Nino Rota!

And Bruce Broughton did not win the Oscar for Silverado.
In 1992 Uruguay's entry for the foreign language category (A Place in the World) was nominated and then, a few days after, was declared inelegible.

From Wikipedia: After nominations were announced, information came to light that showed that A Place in the World (1992) was wholly produced in Argentina, and had insufficient Uruguayan artistic control. The film was declared ineligible and removed from the final ballot.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

This whole story has been divine. Ridiculous/obscure nominee, kitschy video, backroom dealing -- THERE'S your American Hustle.

Too bad this isn't Seth McFarlane's year. He'd have had a ball with this.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Every Oscar season, I always feel terrible that Damien isn't around to witness what's going on because there's always something interesting happening. Interesting races, interesting precedents, and interesting controversies like this one. As an Academy Awards historian, he would have loved watching this going on.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

That article contains some pretty outrageous errors, too.

Obviously this is not the first case of a nominee being disqualified before the ceremony -- HELLO, Nino Rota!

And Bruce Broughton did not win the Oscar for Silverado.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Rules are rules, but then why Nicolas Chartier remained an Oscar-nominee (and eventually a winner) after the same situation with The Hurt Locker?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

It is God's will.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
dreaMaker
Assistant

Academy disqualifies an Oscar-nominee!

Post by dreaMaker »

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”