Categories One-by-One: Animated Short

For the films of 2013
Heksagon
Adjunct

Re: Categories One-by-One: Animated Short

Post by Heksagon »

Mickey Mouse is good, but what would really make it invincible is Tom & Jerry.

...Seriously, for me, one of the biggest mysteries in Oscar history is how Tom & Jerry cartoons were able to dominate the Animated Short Film category so completely during the 40's when Disney and Warner Bros. were doing much of their best work.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:This is the first animated short from Walt Disney Studios (not Pixar) that has been nominated in some time. That may give it an advantage. Also, since everyone in the Academy votes instead of just those attending special screenings, the days of Pixar getting shafted because those who vote want to award anyone other than Pixar may be numbered. This will be an interesting test of that theory.
You mean except for last year's winner, Paperman!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is the first animated short from Walt Disney Studios (not Pixar) that has been nominated in some time. That may give it an advantage. Also, since everyone in the Academy votes instead of just those attending special screenings, the days of Pixar getting shafted because those who vote want to award anyone other than Pixar may be numbered. This will be an interesting test of that theory.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yeah, but it didn't have Mickey Mouse in it!
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:Feral does look like the most interesting of the nominees, but the Mickey Mouse cartoon, Get a Horse! which preceded Frozen on theatrical screens is likely to sweep this one.
Well, Day & Night, the cartoon that preceded Toy Story 3, was nominated for Animated Short and lost.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I had no idea cartoons had trailers!

Feral does look like the most interesting of the nominees, but the Mickey Mouse cartoon, Get a Horse! which preceded Frozen on theatrical screens is likely to sweep this one.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Greg wrote: Feral head-and-shoulders above the others.
And it is directed by a portuguese :)
Greg
Tenured

Categories One-by-One: Animated Short

Post by Greg »

All I know about these is the trailers I watched on Oscar.com. Based on the trailers, my rankings are:

Feral
Mr. Hublot
Room on the Broom
Possessions
Get a Horse!

with Feral head-and-shoulders above the others.

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”