Best Original Song

For the films of 2013
ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: Best Original Song

Post by ksrymy »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:By the way, I found the appearance of several Frozen's songs in the chart very impressive. Which Disney film was the last to have a soundtrack as successfull in commercial terms as this one?
To answer your question: Elton John had two top forty hits with Can You Feel the Love Tonight and Circle of Life.

Although, the Frozen stuff hardly counts - it's all due to digital downloads and YouTube views. The songs are scarcely played on the radio.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Well, this is an unexpected commercially successfull bunch of songs. While Happy is on top, Menzel's Let it Go is placed at an impressive 18 (Lovato's version is also charted but somewhere below, which is kind of funny cause hers was supposed to be the radio-friendly cover) and U2's Ordinary Love is at 99. Talk about an (all of the sudden) Oscar fever boost.

By the way, I found the appearance of several Frozen's songs in the chart very impressive. Which Disney film was the last to have a soundtrack as successfull in commercial terms as this one?
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I've heard this song on the local pop station, the local urban station and the local NPR music station. It's at "Hey Ya!" level crossover success.

But "Let It Go" is still going to win.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

ksrymy wrote:Mark my words: This Thursday, "Happy" takes #1 on the charts and becomes the first #1 hit to win an Oscar since "Lose Yourself."

Funny enough, U2 will have lost both times.
http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100?tag=chscr1
Bam.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

anonymous1980 wrote:I love "Let It Go" (and "Defying Gravity"). And I love Idina's voice. :D

I'm not surprised "Let It Go" is popular among the LGBT community since it can EASILY be interpreted as a "coming out" anthem.
Apparently this movie truly crosses all demographic lines. Below are two funny comics from a straight male geek about his love for FROZEN and "Let It Go."

http://hijinksensue.com/comic/you-and-i ... -patience/

http://hijinksensue.com/comic/full-grown-froze-bros/
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

"Let It Go" might not be the worst winner for Best Original Song in the past decade, but it's close. I'd say "I Need to Wake Up" is a worse song. Well, more overwhelmingly bland than anything else -- fitting for a movie starring Al Gore. I couldn't tell you anything about the song from The Motorcycle Diaries that won other than I was so happy that the other nominees lost out. Funny enough, if there's a song that "Let It Go" reminds me of, it's that Phantom of the Opera song.

I am heartbroken that we'll never get to see that quadriplegic woman sing that miserable song from Alone Yet Not Alone, for truly we were robbed of a gloriously awkward moment in Oscar history, but the one thing its absence does give us is the ability to say without exception that the worst song in this category won.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Happy was used (and where I first heard it outside of the movie) was in a Beats Pill commercial, one with Pharrell Williams in it and with the anthropomorphic pills.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I'm sure I've heard "Happy" used in some car commercial. Anyone know which one it is?
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Eric wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Showtunes night is the great equalizer.
Among the gays who, you know, would actually be caught dead at showtunes night. Here again, the pogo-inducing euphoria of Pharrell's track is a better fit with my particular breed of gay -- see the guy 4 minutes into the 10 a.m. hour of the 24-hour video, for illustration: http://youtu.be/McIYdE4s-gY?t=4m3s
Cute. Even though I would never be caught dead in them, I like guys who rock the short-shorts.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:You've never been to JRs on a Monday night? Showtunes night is the great equalizer.
I mostly just went to clubs when I was at American University. JRs was an absolute blast. Do they show the Oscars on all those T.V.s? It might be fun to do the full-gay Oscar experience.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

ITALIANO wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:the preppy gays, the sporty gays, the hipster gays, the moneyed gays.[/b]
Which group do you belong to..?

The song is so bad I couldn't even hear it till the end. But I guess it could easily win.
In college I was the awkward geeky gay, now I would probably qualify as a yuppie gay (though without much money). If being a yuppie gay gets old, I might just become a hipster gay.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

There is nothing attractive about Los Angeles Union Station.
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

flipp525 wrote:Showtunes night is the great equalizer.
Among the gays who, you know, would actually be caught dead at showtunes night. Here again, the pogo-inducing euphoria of Pharrell's track is a better fit with my particular breed of gay -- see the guy 4 minutes into the 10 a.m. hour of the 24-hour video, for illustration: http://youtu.be/McIYdE4s-gY?t=4m3s
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Yeah, "Let It Go" is probably still the winner, though I can't understand it -- for me, it's another slice of "The Song That Sounds Like This". But 400 million dollars probably won't be wrong. Though the best song category, at least in the early years of the millennium, has shown a tendency to surprise, and maybe this'll be another such instance.
A couple weeks ago I went with my cousin to a gay bar in D.C. We had no idea that it was Musicals Monday, with televisions all around the bar playing a variety of show-tunes. They played the hits from the big gay divas (with mostly the older guys singing along) as well as some Disney tunes (with mostly the younger guys singing along). However, when this music video started up...

...every fucking queen in the place started singing. Somehow they knew every fucking word and were putting full emotion into it. I mean everyone was singing -- the preppy gays, the sporty gays, the hipster gays, the moneyed gays. They sang their hearts out at the top of their lungs. My cousin and I had not seen the movie and we were absolutely flabbergasted at how this song from a children's movie had become the one tune every single guy of all ages would sing together that night.
You've never been to JRs on a Monday night? Showtunes night is the great equalizer.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I love "Let It Go" (and "Defying Gravity"). And I love Idina's voice. :D

I'm not surprised "Let It Go" is popular among the LGBT community since it can EASILY be interpreted as a "coming out" anthem.

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”