Trivia should have its own place.

For the films of 2013
Greg
Tenured

Re: Trivia should have its own place.

Post by Greg »

The Supporting Actor category is the real-life category of the year. Four of the five nominees play real people and one plays a fictional character placed in a real event.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is the first time since 2008 that none of the Best Picture nominees were released before October.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

ksrymy wrote:
Greg wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:her joins FK and Ray in a third-place tie for shortest-ever best picture title.
I don't think there was ever a film titled FK nominated for Best Picture.
JFK unless you're just being sarcastic.
Of course, I should have figured that out!
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Greg wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:her joins FK and Ray in a third-place tie for shortest-ever best picture title.
JFK unless you're just being sarcastic.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

This is a much lesser bit of trivia, but as unique a name as Philomena is, another nominated actress has played a Philomena - Sophia Loren in Marriage, Italian Style (albeit the Italian Filumena).
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Mister Tee wrote:Uri, I didn't get around to saying it the other day, but I love the trivia you dig up; it's always stuff I've never seen elsewhere.
You know me and my fragile ego only too well :).
Mister Tee wrote:Barkhad Abdi places first alphabetically, by last name, among all ever-nominated actors -- stealing the distinction from F. Murray Abraham, who held the spot for almost 30 years.
All I can say – go Caroline Aaron, go! (and thank god Quinton Aaron was not swept in on the coattails of his costar masterful thespianism for Blind Side).
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Uri, I didn't get around to saying it the other day, but I love the trivia you dig up; it's always stuff I've never seen elsewhere.

A couple of really oddball items I've seen around:

her joins FK and Ray in a third-place tie for shortest-ever best picture title. Second place is held by Up. And our winner is -- tada! -- Z.

Even better:

Barkhad Abdi places first alphabetically, by last name, among all ever-nominated actors -- stealing the distinction from F. Murray Abraham, who held the spot for almost 30 years.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Four of the films nominated for Best Actor (12 Years a Slave, The Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle and Dallas Buyer's Club) are also nominated for Supporting Actor. (If you swapped out Dern for Hanks--or Abdi for Forte--you would've had the same five films nominated in each category.) I don't think this has ever happened before. The closest I found was 1954, where four of the Supporting Actor nominees were in films nominated for Actor, but in that case, three of the Supporting Actor nominees were from On the Waterfront.

Three of the films up for Best Actress (American Hustle, Blue Jasmine, and August: Osage County are also nominated for Supporting Actress, which hasn't happened, I think, since 1977.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Megan Ellison is the first woman to be a nominated producer for TWO Best Picture nominees.....and she's only 27.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Also, Woody Allen quietly moved to a tie for 10th all-time with his 24th nomination (with Nathan Levinson).

John Williams is now only 10 away from Walt Disney's record for most nominations, and has picked up 4 nods in the last 3 years. At 81 I don't know how much longer he will keep composing, but it feels amazingly within his reach.

Allen and Williams are the only still-working people on the Top 20 All-Time for most nominations (Randy Newman and Kevin O'Connell are tied for 21st place, however).
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

FilmFan720 wrote:I Never Promised You a Rose Garden.
I still have nightmares of Sylvia Sidney being beaten by an orderly in that movie. The dark side of Oscar completion.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Greg wrote:This year, of the big eight categories for picture, directing, writing, and acting, Before Midnight was the only film to receive a single nomination in those categories. If you take out writing and go for the big six, no film had only one nomination in those categories. I wonder how long it has been since that has happened before.
1981 is the last year that all of the Acting nominees had another nomination to go with them. That year had 2 Screenplay nominations with no other major nomination: Pennies from Heaven (which had a couple of tech nods) and Prince of the City.

1977 had all of the Acting nominees come from films also nominated for another award, but had a whole bunch of screenplay nominees which were solo shots: The Late Show, Oh God, and I Never Promised You a Rose Garden.

1973 had all of the major nominees nominated for another award somewhere, although Cinderella Liberty only had one above-the-line nomination.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

This year, of the big eight categories for picture, directing, writing, and acting, Before Midnight was the only film to receive a single nomination in those categories. If you take out writing and go for the big six, no film had only one nomination in those categories. I wonder how long it has been since that has happened before.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

FilmFan720 wrote:Jennifer Lawrence is the only winner from last year with a chance at a repeat win. . .

RETURNING NOMINEES
Neil Corbould (Visual FX - Snow White; Gravity). . .
Visual Effects going to Gravity, including Neil Corbould, is the biggest shoo-in of them all. Also, I think American Hustle has a shot at Picture, Director, and Film Editing.

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”