Site Admin

Re: Trivia should have its own place.

Post by Big Magilla »

Ah, so. Good catch.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson and Daniel Bruhl become the second, third and fourth performers to have received Golden Globe, SAG and BAFTA nominations without receiving an Oscar nod. Tilda Swinton (We Need to Talk About Kevin) was the first.
Except Helen Mirren and Marion Cottilard last year...and Kate Winslet for Revolutionary Road, but that was an odd predicament.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Big Magilla wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:If Tom Hanks had been nominated for best actor rather than Bruce Dern -- or if Will Forte had been slotted in support instead of Barkhad Abdi -- the best actor and supporting actor slates would have represented the exact same films.
You would get the same result if Hanks and Forte were both nominated and Bale and Cooper weren't.

:D
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:If Tom Hanks had been nominated for best actor rather than Bruce Dern -- or if Will Forte had been slotted in support instead of Barkhad Abdi -- the best actor and supporting actor slates would have represented the exact same films.
You would get the same result if Hanks and Forte were both nominated and Bale and Cooper weren't.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Another oddity:

If Tom Hanks had been nominated for best actor rather than Bruce Dern -- or if Will Forte had been slotted in support instead of Barkhad Abdi -- the best actor and supporting actor slates would have represented the exact same films. Has there ever been a perfect match?

And all supporting actress nominees also had lead co-stars nominated. This unusual fact is what accounts most for the small number of films cited in this year's top categories.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

I calculated the average (mean) number of nominations of all the films represented in a category for each category, except for the specialty-film categories (foreign, animated, documentary, short subject). Here is what I came up with, from most average nominations to least:

Film Editing - 8.2
Director - 8.0
Lead Actor - 7.2
Supporting Actor - 7.2
Production Design - 7.2
Picture - 6.8
Original Screenplay - 6.0
Supporting Actress - 6.0
Lead Actress - 5.8
Adapted Screenplay - 5.4
Costume Design - 4.8
Sound Mixing - 4.6
Sound Editing - 4.4
Original Score - 4.2
Cinematography - 4.2
Visual Effects - 3.4
Makeup And Hairstyles - 3.0
Original Song (final four nominees) - 2.5

The numbers indicate to me that, as expected, the most-nominated films dominate the directing, writing, editing, and acting categories, as these are the ones most intrinsic to films. Picture, itself, is down somewhat from the top as it has expanded its number of nominees from five to nine and presumably added lower-total-nominee films to its roster. Also, the top films this year are about equally divided among those that have original and adapted scripts; and, they have slightly more plum male roles than female. One surprise is that Productions Design is an additional category dominated by the big nominees, but not Cinematography.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson and Daniel Bruhl become the second, third and fourth performers to have received Golden Globe, SAG and BAFTA nominations without receiving an Oscar nod. Tilda Swinton (We Need to Talk About Kevin) was the first.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Yes, that's what I meant... Nominations in all four acting categories. But as a matter of fact, Network received five acting nods in all of the acting categories (Golden and Finch, Dunaway, Beatty and Straight). Hence the "four or more" but I forgot to specify the main issue. This is probably why I write less often than I used to: my English is definitely not as good as I used to thought.
And my brain is not as sharp as it used to be which is why I like to do these puzzles from memory as opposed to looking the answers up which is easier but doesn't exercise the brain.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I don't notice that anyone has mentioned this, but it's the first time ever that all Supporting Actor nominees are for films which are also nominated for Best Picture.

It's also the sixth time that all Best Actor nominees are for films nominated for Best Picture (after 1935, 1942, 1943, 1964 and 1966)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Yes, that's what I meant... Nominations in all four acting categories. But as a matter of fact, Network received five acting nods in all of the acting categories (Golden and Finch, Dunaway, Beatty and Straight). Hence the "four or more" but I forgot to specify the main issue. This is probably why I write less often than I used to: my English is definitely not as good as I used to thought.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I thought that might be what he meant to say, but no film nominated in all four categories since 1950 has had more than four nominations, so why say four or more?

There have only been eight films in all of Oscar history nominated in all four acting categories, right? My Man Godfrey; Mrs. Miniver; Sunset Boulevard prior to 1951 and A Streetcar Named Desire; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Reds; Silver Linings Playbook and now American Hustle from 1951 on. Mrs. Miniver is the only one with nominations in all four categories to receive five. No film has ever received more than five acting nominations. All About Eve; On the Waterfront; Peyton Place; Tom Jones and Network did it with nominations in three categories.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Big Magilla wrote:
dws1982 wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:Interesting fact: no film since 1950 (23rd ceremony) has received 4 or more acting nominations just to lose all of them.
Doubt.
Peyton Place
The Hustler
Tom Jones
Rocky
The Turning Point
I looked this up a few days ago...I think what Harry means is that no film nominated in ALL FOUR CATEGORIES has gone away without an acting award.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

dws1982 wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:Interesting fact: no film since 1950 (23rd ceremony) has received 4 or more acting nominations just to lose all of them.
Doubt.
Peyton Place
The Hustler
Tom Jones
Rocky
The Turning Point
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Doubt.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Interesting fact: no film since 1950 (23rd ceremony) has received 4 or more acting nominations just to lose all of them. So it is hard not to expect American Hustle to win at least one of its acting nods. If it doesn't make it, it would be the first film since Sunset Boulevard to fail at this.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”