Trivia should have its own place.

For the films of 2013
ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: Trivia should have its own place.

Post by ksrymy »

par3000 wrote:
mlrg wrote:Another bit of trivia: after her win in costume design and art direction, Catherine Martin now has 4 oscars, making her the female living oscar winner with most oscars.
Also makes her the most Oscar winning Australian on the same night as Cate Blanchett collected her second and became the most Oscar winning Australian actor.
In a nice bit of symmetry, the most nominated Australians (with six nominations apiece) are.....Catherine Martin and Cate Blanchett.
I find it shocking that Orry-Kelly had only four nominations when he was one of the biggest names in costume design at the time. That aside, he did win three times for An American in Paris, Les Girls, and Some Like It Hot, while failing to win for Gypsy.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
par3000
Graduate

Post by par3000 »

mlrg wrote:Another bit of trivia: after her win in costume design and art direction, Catherine Martin now has 4 oscars, making her the female living oscar winner with most oscars.
Also makes her the most Oscar winning Australian on the same night as Cate Blanchett collected her second and became the most Oscar winning Australian actor.
In a nice bit of symmetry, the most nominated Australians (with six nominations apiece) are.....Catherine Martin and Cate Blanchett.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

An indeed awesome fact! Thanks...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Another bit of trivia: after her win in costume design and art direction, Catherine Martin now has 4 oscars, making her the female living oscar winner with most oscars.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Eenusch wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Someone noted at another site that this is the 5th time the two male acting awards have gone to the same film.
There are twice as many (10) cases where the two female acting winners were from the same film.
Although only 3 from Best Picture winners, exactly the same as with the male acting winners.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

Mister Tee wrote:Someone noted at another site that this is the 5th time the two male acting awards have gone to the same film.
There are twice as many (10) cases where the two female acting winners were from the same film.

1938 - Bette Davis & Fay Bainter (Jezebel)
1939 - Vivien Leigh & Hattie McDaniel (Gone with the Wind)
1942 - Greer Garson & Teresa Wright (Mrs. Miniver)
1951 - Vivien Leigh & Kim Hunter (A Streetcar Named Desire)
1962 - Anne Bancroft & Patty Duke (The Miracle Worker)
1966 - Elizabeth Taylor & Sandy Dennis (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?)
1976 - Faye Dunaway & Beatrice Straight (Network)
1987 - Cher & Olympia Dukakis (Moonstruck)
1993 - Holly Hunter & Anna Paquin (The Piano)
1998 - Gwyneth Paltrow & Judi Dench (Shakespeare in Love)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Two more bits of trivia before the season fades completely away:

Someone noted at another site that this is the 5th time the two male acting awards have gone to the same film -- and only the second time to a film that didn't win best picture. The three best picture winners were Going My Way, The Best Years of Our Lives and Ben-Hur; the previous non-best film winner was Mystic River.

What struck me about this number is how unexpectedly small it is. Over the course of Oscar history, there's been huge correlation between best picture and best actor. In the 78 years post-1935 (i.e., the era of supporting awards), 26 best actors have been from best picture winners, and an additional 34 have been from best picture nominees. It's kind of counter-intuitive that out of 60 such correlations, there'd be as few as 5 that managed to take a supporting awards as well. (For the record, I count 20 instances where there was a matching supporting male nominee who might have upped this statistic)

The other, something I'm surprised no one else has highlighted: the last two film versions of The Great Gatsby have each secured two nominations -- including one for costumes -- and won both.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes, and it was nice that the announcer mentioned his EGOT as he took the stage which seemed to take many in the audience by surprise.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Franz Ferdinand wrote:
FilmFan720 wrote:
Franz Ferdinand wrote:Robert Lopez is now the 12th person to win an EGOT.
And the youngest to join the club, I believe
And first Filipino to win an Oscar?
He is! (There are only 4 others nominated that I know of. A visual effects guy from The Nightmare Before Christmas, a Live-Action Short nominee, cinematographer Matthew Libatique and Hailee Steinfeld, who's 1/4, don't know if she counts).

He's also the fastest to EGOT. He did it in 10 years.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

FilmFan720 wrote:
And first Filipino to win an Oscar?
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Robert Lopez is now the 12th person to win an EGOT.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

So, only 7 films won Oscars last night in the non-specialty categories: 12 Years a Slave, Gravity, Blue Jasmine, Dallas Buyers Club, her, Frozen, The Great Gatsby. That is the lowest number since 2008.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Bit of trivia not yet posted here: Sandra Bullock is the first performer from a 3D movie to get an acting nomination.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

According to my calculations from the data at BoxOfficeMojo.com, the combined theatrical-box-office receipts for all the Oscar-nominated films for all the categories is $3.3 billion. $1.9 billion of that comes from six films, which, in descending order of grosses, are Iron Man 3, Frozen, Despicable Me 2, Gravity, The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug, and Star Trek Into Darkness. Gravity is only one of the six that is neither a sequel or animated and is the only one of the six to have nominations in categories outside of Animated Feature, Original Song, Visual Effects, Sound Mixing, or Sound Editing.

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”