Complete List of Nominations

For the films of 2013
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Complete List of Nominations

Post by Mister Tee »

You never get perfection, but I'm perfectly pleased with these. And, yes, BJ, I'd say they gave the field a fresh, full look, giving American Hustle, Wolf of Wall Street and her considerably more attention than the early-deadline groups did (presumably they gave Inside Llewyn Davis a full look, too, but unfortunately they decided they didn't like it).

I know it may feel by now like I'm beating the film up at every turn, but how can 12 Years a Slave getting only 9 nods not be a significant moment in the race? Given its 3-actor base, and its period setting, I didn't see how it could be held short of 10-11 nominations (some at other sites were predicting 13-14). It's still, as at every other point this season, in the game -- 9 nominations being nothing to sniff at -- but the whole "clear front-runner" thing is an Oscar-blogger construct, to date unsupported by empirical evidence.

Since I didn't post my list, you'll have to take my word, but I got the exact nine best picture slate. (I had concluded Philomena, thanks to Harvey, was going to consolidate the sloppy-sentiment vote, and sadly concluded, after the Writers' Guild, that Llewyn Davis just didn't have the support.) So, apparently 9 is going to be fairly standard, regardless of year? I know PwC said their re-canvass of the past decade's races yielded results between 5 and 9, but I suspect people may vote differently knowing about the 5% rule, and more will be the norm.

David O. Russell and Alexander Payne have received picture/director nods for three consecutive films. I know David Lean did this, with Kwai/Lawrence/Zhivago, and Fosse, with Cabaret/Lenny/All That Jazz; I assume there are others. Coppola did as close to better than that in his Godfather/Conversation/GodfatherII/Apocalypse run; the rules prevented a double nomination in '74 for The Conversation, or he might have done it 4 times.

Scorsese ascends to very high Academy ground -- tying Billy Wilder for second place all time, with 8 directing nominations. Only William Wyler lies ahead. (Scorsese also adds two more acting nominees, bringing him to 22)

Paul Greengrass' Academy profile -- a directing nod without best picture, a best picture nod without best director -- is precisely what Spielberg got in his first two tries. Only that was viewed as an enormous scandal. Here's, it's luck of the draw.

SAG had as bad a year of predicting acting nominations as they ever have. Three performers -- Hanks, Thompson and Bruhl -- in fact ran the table of prelim nominations and yet failed to score at AMPAS. Again, this suggests my hopes the Oscars aren't just following the early groups weren't in vain. Especially in that Oscar voters replaced not just one but two lead actors from the November template.

Cooper and Lawrence were both nominated in lead last year, both show up in support this year. Adams, contrarily, was supporting last year, now shows up in lead. Had DiCaprio got the supporting nod many predicted for him last year, we'd have had a rare double-flip.

With every best actor nominee representing a best picture nominee (four of them picture/director), that category looks more wide-open than ever. I think anyone but Bale could win.

So Emma Thomspon ends up the loser in actress roulette. Inconsequential, seeing Blanchett'll win regardless. But good for Adams graduating to first division. And congratulations to Streep, for extending her Gretzky-like record.

Bradley Cooper and Jonah Hill -- remember when they were dubious nominees, because no one took them seriously as actors? Two-timers, both. Sorry about Gandolfini, but can't dispute any of the nominees.

My long-term faith in Sally Hawkins is rewarded! Glad, as side issue, that The Butler got skunked.

I don't know which is the more appalling Dallas Buyers nomination -- best screenplay, or best editing. (Well, best picture...but that one I expected)

Speaking of extending unbreakable records...Woody Allen. This is (if I'm counting properly) his sixth writing nomination since the scandal that was supposed to end his career.

One thing I'd forgotten to say in my nominations eve post was that I regretted the design category so often defaulted to rent-a-mansion mode, when there were two films this years -- her and Inside Llewyn Davis -- whose design really enhanced the mood of the film. Very happy at least one of them made the cut.

Song, as BJ predicted, of course includes at least one total obscurity, but also offers an interesting choice: Disney, U2, or a hip Karen O song. Does her's overall performance give The Moon Song a shot?

For totally selfish reasons, I'm glad The Lone Ranger got its nominations: I just had it delivered by Netflix (it was its release day, and if you don't get it then, you can wait weeks); I'd hate to have done it for nothing.
Last edited by Mister Tee on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Sonic Youth wrote:
MovieWes wrote:"Alone Yet Not Alone" is a worship song from a Christian movie. It's so obscure that it has no reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. However, the person who wrote the song, Bruce Broughton, is a previous Oscar nominee for Best Original Score for Silverado.
Here's the song. The clip begins with the pianist leading the studio in a prayer. Once they started showing pictures of godly landscapes and waterfalls (about 10 seconds into the song proper), I bailed. Someone else will need to be a fair judge of its quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWVyVMbSzM4
Not the pianist but the quadraplejic vocalist... If the images shown on the video are actually from the film... Geez, then maybe "crappy" can be a polite adjective to use... The song itself is not bad though.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:
Greg wrote:With the nominations of both Abdi and Nyong'o, is this the first time that both supporting acting categories have a "non-professional" nominee?
No because neither are non professional. They are both trained actors who are making their debut film. nyong'o even went to the Yale School of drama.
Partially correct. Barkhad Abdi was a Minneapolis cab driver with no acting experience or aspirations when he was recruited by a talent scout for Captain Phillips because he looked the part.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Emma Thompson and Inside Llewyn Davis are in good company.

The National Society of Film Critics began in 1967 for the film year 1966. Of the 47 films that have been awarded Best Picture from this organization, 28, now including Inside Llewyn Davis, have failed to receive an Oscar nod for Best Picture.

The National Board of Review began listing ten best films and five best foreign films in 1929. They began naming top performances in 1937, but didn't narrow their list to a single best actor and actress until 1945 with supporting awards turning up later. Since 1945, there have been 69 Best Actress winners - none in 1949; two-way ties in both 1987 and 1991. Of the 69 winners, seventeen have failed to receive Oscar nominations - Anna Magnani in Open City; Celia Johnson in This Happy Breed; Jan Sterling in Ace in the Hole; Jean Simmons in The Actress, The Robe and Young Bess; Dorothy McGuire in Friendly Persuasion; Ingrid Bergman in The Inn of the Sixth Happiness; Liv Ullmann in Hour of the Wolf and Shame; Geraldine Page in Trilogy; Irene Papas in The Trojan Women; Liv Ullmann (again) in The New Land; Glenda Jackson in Stevie; Peggy Ashcroft in A Passage to India (relegated to support where she won); Lillian Gish in The Whales of August; Mia Farrow in Alice; Lesley Manville in Another Year; Tilda Swinton in We Need to Talk About Kevin and now Emma Thompson in Saving Mr. Banks.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

ITALIANO wrote:Oh, and then there's the song-from-a-movie-nobody-saw-or-heard-of, of course - which reminds one of the times when one could find here suddenly deliciously bad movies like Mondo Cane, The Stepmother, The Little Ark, Madron...

This one, Alone Yet Not Alone, doesn't even have a review on the Imdb... (Though its poster is atrocious in itself, I must say).
I think the song lucked out by the fact that it's listed first alphabetically so it managed to get enough voters to listen to it on the DVD. It probably helped that the composer is already an Academy Award nominee.

As for the nominations, I think the most major surprises is who got left out rather than who got in. I was shocked to see Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson get shafted.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jonah Hill listed in the annual "Who'll Be Back" thread as an "obvious no"? I think his nomination for The Wolf of Wall Street goes to show that you can never predict with 100% certainty the trajectory that any given actor's career will take.
A lot of people thought Bradley Cooper wouldn't be back but here he is.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Greg wrote:With the nominations of both Abdi and Nyong'o, is this the first time that both supporting acting categories have a "non-professional" nominee?
No because neither are non professional. They are both trained actors who are making their debut film. nyong'o even went to the Yale School of drama.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jonah Hill listed in the annual "Who'll Be Back" thread as an "obvious no"? I think his nomination for The Wolf of Wall Street goes to show that you can never predict with 100% certainty the trajectory that any given actor's career will take.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Sonic Youth wrote:
MovieWes wrote:"Alone Yet Not Alone" is a worship song from a Christian movie. It's so obscure that it has no reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. However, the person who wrote the song, Bruce Broughton, is a previous Oscar nominee for Best Original Score for Silverado.
Here's the song. The clip begins with the pianist leading the studio in a prayer. Once they started showing pictures of godly landscapes and waterfalls (about 10 seconds into the song proper), I bailed. Someone else will need to be a fair judge of its quality.

I listened to it. It isn't a bad song at all. It starts off a little cheesy, but by the end it kind of put me in mind of Dion and Bocelli's "The Prayer" a little bit. Not that it's as good a song as "The Prayer", but it has a similar feel to it. If you can just minimize the window with the song playing so you don't have to see the images, you should do it.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Oh, and then there's the song-from-a-movie-nobody-saw-or-heard-of, of course - which reminds one of the times when one could find here suddenly deliciously bad movies like Mondo Cane, The Stepmother, The Little Ark, Madron...

This one, Alone Yet Not Alone, doesn't even have a review on the Imdb... (Though its poster is atrocious in itself, I must say).
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

First of all - I'm very glad that not only I can now avoid The Butler, but also Saving Mr Banks! Too bad for Rush though - I could have spared myself that torture, too.

There have been less surprises than last year, let's face it. It's clear that they loved American Hustle - the actors, especially. It's clearly now between American Hustle and 12 Years a Slave, with some (few, I hope) chances for Gravity. And three-way races are always interesting.

Especially because all these three movies MUST win something, and if Gravity has the technical field all for itself, the two others, while conveniently sharing the Screenplay awards, will probably fight for some Acting awards, which ironically are, for both, far from certain. American Hustle especially seems the kind of movie which gets at least one Oscar for his actors - except that its best chances are for Best Supporting Actress, and we know what's the problem there. (And it's true - with the exception of Julia Roberts anyone there could emerge as the winner).

As nostalgic as the Academy often is, by the way, they have completely ignored Tom Hanks - which is almost revolutionary by their standards.

I love that the Cambodian movie - which I haven't seen - has been nominated. It's one of those weird choices that sometimes happen in this category. It's still, of course, between The Hunt (still the favorite) and The Great Beauty, but this is traditionally unpredictable, so I wouldn't be surprised if even the Belgian movie - with its dying child and country music and tastefully filmed sex scenes - gets it in the end.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Was this film even released theatrically or do the new rules for Best Song allow exceptions?
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

With the nominations of both Abdi and Nyong'o, is this the first time that both supporting acting categories have a "non-professional" nominee?
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sonic Youth wrote:Oscar nominee Wim Butler. "What the hell"?
Having watched (and suffered through) The Butler two nights ago in order to catch up, I'm very pleased and relieved to find that this is the only Butler nomination this morning.

You could say "Wolf of Wall Street" was on the verge of a groundswell. When controversy hit the industry showed their support rather than back away from the film. But there are no "below-ticket" nominations at all. Interesting since it's a director who's revered for his technical achievements, and Wolf of Wall Street is supposed to be no less of an achievement than anything else he's made. I guess the support was strong and limited.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Question regarding Lawrence and Cooper: Has it happened before that a couple of actors receives Oscar nods for the same film, just to be both nominated the following year once again working together?
Off the top of my head there was Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon, both nominated for Mrs. Miniver (Garson, of course, won) in 1943 and then also both nominated the following year for Madame Curie. There must be other examples but that's the one that came to me right away.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”