Complete List of Nominations

For the films of 2013
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Complete List of Nominations

Post by Precious Doll »

All 5 actress nominees are previous winners.

Does anyone know when was the last time this happened?

It's funny because last year was the first time all the nominees in supporting actor were all previous winners.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Eenusch wrote:I remember in August when The Butler came out and had good box office numbers.

Everyone seemed to think this film was going to score big at the Oscars. Even Jane Fonda in supporting was mentioned.

Oprah was lobbying hard for Oscar consideration.

It all turned to ashes.
I thought Fonda was a hoot as Nancy Reagan, especially her walk. It's too bad her role was an inconsequential, what - two minutes? If the film had been about the butler's relations with the Reagans instead of what it was, they might have had something, especially if Oprah had a scene or two or three with Fonda.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:Someone here correctly preducted Thompson's snub, comparing her with previous snubbed actresses (Mirren, Cotillard and Swinton). Can't remember who did it but congrats anyway... This specific snub was some kind of a shock but then I remembered this prediction.
That was me...unfortunately I didn't have the guts to go ahead and put it into my predictions
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Someone here correctly preducted Thompson's snub, comparing her with previous snubbed actresses (Mirren, Cotillard and Swinton). Can't remember who did it but congrats anyway... This specific snub was some kind of a shock but then I remembered this prediction.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

I remember in August when The Butler came out and had good box office numbers.

Everyone seemed to think this film was going to score big at the Oscars. Even Jane Fonda in supporting was mentioned.

Oprah was lobbying hard for Oscar consideration.

It all turned to ashes.

As for Emma Thompson, I heard that she was shamelessly promoting herself at the Governor's Awards and this may have turned off voters.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Greg wrote:From my count, there are only 25 films that received any nomination outside of the special categories (foreign, documentary, and short films). This must be the smallest number for quite a while.
Since 1960:

Only considering picture and the four acting categories this year we have 11 films (of which 9 nominated for best picture, being Blue Jasmine and August Osage County the 2 remaining films).

It ties 1981, 1976 and 1967 but it's still short of breaking 1977's record low of 10 films and it's by far the lowest since the expansion.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

From my count, there are only 25 films that received any nomination outside of the special categories (foreign, documentary, and short films). This must be the smallest number for quite a while.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Bradley Cooper I didn't think was a one-off. Jonah Hill I wasn't expecting until he showed up in The Wolf of Wall Street. It was always a periphery mention on my list and I'm not that shocked by his inclusion.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

anonymous1980 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:I've heard that song now. It's a boring, sleep-inducing piece of music, but SO politically correct...
Guy Lodge just reported that the song's composer, Bruce Broughton, is an Academy GOVERNOR and chief of the Music branch. Hmmm. I wonder if that factored anything into it.
We must launch an investigation!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

anonymous1980 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:I've heard that song now. It's a boring, sleep-inducing piece of music, but SO politically correct...
Guy Lodge just reported that the song's composer, Bruce Broughton, is an Academy GOVERNOR and chief of the Music branch. Hmmm. I wonder if that factored anything into it.

Oh, in Italy it would be sure... :)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

ITALIANO wrote:I'm very glad that not only I can now avoid The Butler, but also Saving Mr Banks! Too bad for Rush though - I could have spared myself that torture, too.
You probably wouldn't like Saving Mr. Banks, but it's not torture. The Butler is, not so much for what it is, but for what it isn't. It isn't a very good depiction of life at the White House or American history. It was the wrong format. It should have been a TV mini-series which would have given it room to breathe like the excellent 1979 mini-series Backstairs at the White House which depicted the lives of two generations of maids over the course of eight administrations from the Tafts to the Eisenhowers, warts and all, with excellent characterizations from the actors playing the presidents, their wives and the various staff members. The actors playing presidents from Eisenhower to Reagan (with Ford and Carter omitted) in The Butler were all miscast, some of them delivering career worst performances. The actors playing the fictional butler and his family fared better, but none of them, including Oprah, were Oscar worthy. A better example of the black experience in contemporary America can be found in Fruitvale Station for which Octavia Spencer was robbed.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

MovieWes wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Jonah Hill listed in the annual "Who'll Be Back" thread as an "obvious no"? I think his nomination for The Wolf of Wall Street goes to show that you can never predict with 100% certainty the trajectory that any given actor's career will take.
Here, actually, was my hedged take at the time:

Jonah Hill…I, like many, was totally unprepared for what he delivered in Moneyball, so maybe underestimating him now is dangerous. But I can’t help feeling this was a one-off. His upcoming schedule offers little encouragement – he’s right back to the mall-pleasing stuff. Perhaps, in the wake of this nomination, he can interest directors in giving him a chance to stretch. My instinct says no, but I’ll stay tuned.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I've heard that song now. It's a boring, sleep-inducing piece of music, but SO politically correct...
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

MovieWes wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:
MovieWes wrote: it kind of put me in mind of Dion and Bocelli's "The Prayer" a little bit.
You're not helping. :P
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”