Feature Documentary Shortlist

For the films of 2013
Heksagon
Adjunct

Re: Feature Documentary Shortlist

Post by Heksagon »

Because she was played by Honor Blackman. That's one bizarre casting decision in a film that otherwise got a lot of things right. Besides, "Galore" doesn't even sound right. "Glamour" would be better.

But, wait, there's also Octopussy. I guess that's just sounds silly nowadays.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Why does no one remember Pussy Galore?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Pussy Riot: making it acceptable to publicly say "pussy" since 2012
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Heksagon wrote:If Pussy Riot gets nominated, will the title get censored in the broadcast?
I don't think so. The Academy could always go with the ladies in the band named came up with their name because they like to act catty.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

The doc committee of late seems a lot less averse to the critically-acclaimed, but, and more to the point, they also seem a lot more receptive to stunts and playful formalism (e.g. Exit Through the Gift Shop), so I would bet on Act of Killing actually sneaking in. Though with Gibney not competing against himself, who knows.

Highest profile snubees: Frederick Wiseman, Errol Morris, Claude Lanzmann, Mohsen Makhmalbaf, One Direction, Rocky Braat, Leviathan, Call Me Kuchu (superior, I understand, to God Loves Uganda), After Tiller, Let The Fire Burn, The Missing Picture.

... oh, and (blessedly) Salinger.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I agree that Blackfish is probably the lead contender at the moment. However, I think the unconventional method of filmmaking employed in The Act of Killing might earn it support among documentary filmmakers at least to get a nomination.

Let's also remember that the largest influx of new members this year was in the documentary branch. What we once thought we knew about them changes this year. It's a whole other ball game. Perhaps it means more broadly appealing documentaries will gain recognition; however, it's just as likely that niche documentaries that weren't broadly appealing to the small batch of members the Academy used to have will have a better chance. I'm guessing the later is a good bet considering the populist streak that has typically run through the Documentary nominations in the last several years.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Ok, I've seen the shorter cut of the film, and it didn't feel too repetitive, I don't know what the longer version is like.

I've wondered how the Academy members feel about the murderers re-enacting their actions in film style. I suspect the younger members would like it, whereas the older members would be put off by it.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Heksagon wrote:I

The Act of Killing has to be one of the front-runners, what else?
Though this is one of the hardest categories to predict I highly double The Act of Killing will get nominated. Aside from being too long and repetitive, it's too far removed from traditional documentaries to appeal to the Academy. Besides the film is very disturbing in that men who have essentially participated in human genocide are to a degree glamorised by the film by acting out their heinous crimes. If John Waters ever made a documentary - this would be it.

Surer bets would be Blackfish, 20 Feet from Stardom (big box office hit in the US) and Dirty War. As good as Stories We Tell is, I think it may struggle to end up in the final five, though if it can win some more critics awards prior to the final selection of this category, it may sneak in.

At this point I think it's Blackfishes' to loose. Whilst it is not the best made of the films I've seen, it's the most stirring with some of the saddest and most disturbing images I have ever seen in a documentary. It made me feel ashamed to be part of the human race. The Cove one several years back but Blackfish makes that seem like a walk in the park.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Documentary films have different rules but the rule regarding TV only applies if a film is shown on television prior to its theatrical run.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

If Pussy Riot gets nominated, will the title get censored in the broadcast?

The Act of Killing has to be one of the front-runners, what else?

Incidentally, The Act of Killing has already been broadcast on television, didn't this disqualify a film in the past? Did they change the rules after Fahrenheit 911?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Feature Documentary Shortlist

Post by Mister Tee »

The 15 finalists:

“The Act of Killing,” Final Cut for Real
“The Armstrong Lie,” The Kennedy/Marshall Company
“Blackfish,” Our Turn Productions
“The Crash Reel,” KP Rides Again
“Cutie and the Boxer,” Ex Lion Tamer and Cine Mosaic
“Dirty Wars,” Civic Bakery
“First Cousin Once Removed,” Experiments in Time, Light & Motion
“God Loves Uganda,” Full Credit Productions
“Life According to Sam,” Fine Films
“Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer,” Roast Beef Productions
“The Square,” Noujaim Films and Maktube Productions
“Stories We Tell,” National Film Board of Canada
“Tim’s Vermeer,” High Delft Pictures
“20 Feet from Stardom,” Gil Friesen Productions and Tremolo Productions
“Which Way Is the Front Line from Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington,” Tripoli Street

Return to “86th Nominations and Winners”