Eligible Animated Films

For the films of 2013
ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: Eligible Animated Films

Post by ksrymy »

http://www.avclub.com/articles/here-are ... ar,105206/
A solid look at this from the A.V. Club.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

I don't feel that this category in itself is overkill, although maybe they should restrict the number of nominees to 3.

The quality of nominees and winners is what you'd expect, for sure. But they have had an award for Animated Short Films since the 30s, so it seems fair that they started awarding Feature Animations when studios started making them more regularly.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I've seen none of them and am only interested in seeing the Miyazaki. I wish they would do away with this category. As they now have up to 10 'Best Picture' nominees, this category is overkill.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think Frozen, Monsters University and The Wind Rises (Hayao Miyazaki's swan song) are locks. The fourth spot is PROBABLY Ernest and Celestine. I have no idea what will get the fifth spot.

I've actually seen O Apostolo. It's a Spanish stop-motion animated feature about a strange, haunted village where lost tourists disappear on a regular basis. I don't think it will get in. Too strange and dark.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

"The Fake" is a Korean film about religious hypocrites. It's not that great, but the climax/ending packs a ridiculous amount of power.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

16 is the minimum number to have 5 nominations.

As my post on my site specified today, there are four films that are almost certain to get nominations with the fifth slot open, but I have a suspicion I know where it will go.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Eligible Animated Films

Post by Mister Tee »

A total of 19, which I'm told makes 5 nominees a certainty -- in a year when 3 is a stretch (unless there are hidden gems among the foreign items).

“Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2”
“The Croods”
“Despicable Me 2”
“Epic”
“Ernest and Celestine”
“The Fake”
“Free Birds“
“Frozen”
“Khumba”
“The Legend of Sarila”
“A Letter to Momo”
“Monsters University”