Writers Guild Awards

For the films of 2013
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Writers Guild Awards

Post by OscarGuy »

I think it may have been more an issue of picking the screenwriter best known as a screenwriter.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:I'm more surprised by Billy Ray's victory. He's a great guy and deserves all the success in the world for his work but what was so amazing about his work? What dialogue did he write that leaps off the page? "I am the captain now?"
Didn't Barhad Abdi improvise that line? That's what I heard. That first scene was apparently also the first time that the actors, Hanks and Abdi, had ever met.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

American Hustle could very easily go home empty handed. I'm not surprised that Spike Jonze won in this category because Hustle is so improvised, but between this and Lupita Nyong'o's win at the Screen Actor's Guild Awards this does not portend a fantastic night for Hustle.

I'm more surprised by Billy Ray's victory. He's a great guy and deserves all the success in the world for his work but what was so amazing about his work? What dialogue did he write that leaps off the page? "I am the captain now?"
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Captain Phillips is a surprise, but then 12 Years a Slave wasn't eligible so no harm done.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Writers Guild Awards

Post by OscarGuy »

The prizes went to:

Her (Original)
Captain Phillips (Adapted)
Stories We Tell (Doc)

Now tell me again how American Hustle is the frontrunner?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “86th Predictions and Precursors”