Producers Guild winner

For the films of 2013
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: Producers Guild winner

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:It's looking more and more like a lopsided year a la 1972 when Cabaret won 8 and Best Picture winner The Godfather won 3. I can see Gravity taking 8 for Director, Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Score, Visual Effects and both sound awards and 12 Years a Slave taking 3 for Best Picture, Supporting Actress and Screenplay while Dallas Buyers Club also takes 3 for Best Actor, Supporting Actor and Hair and Makeup.
Oh, I think THE GREAT GATSBY has the Set and Costume Oscars in the bag as much as GRAVITY has the Visual Effects and Cinematography awards all sewn up. I do think GRAVITY is going to win the most awards no matter who wins Best Picture.

I see it going (each award in order of likelihood):

Gravity
Visual Effects
Cinematography
Sound
Sound Editing
Film Editing
Score
Director
Best Picture

The Great Gatsby
Costume
Set

Dallas Buyer's Club
Supporting Actor
Lead Actor
Make-up

Blue Jasmine
Lead Actress
Supporting Actress

American Hustle
Original Screenplay

12 Years A Slave
Adapted Screenplay

Frozen
Song
Animated Film

Since I have Director and Best Picture last on the list for GRAVITY, that means I am the least sure of those wins. I still think AMERICAN HUSTLE is the crowd-pleaser to watch out for, and 12 YEARS A SLAVE could still surprise us. However, in the end I think GRAVITY is the type of film people both enjoyed on a purely entertainment level and admired as a work of great cinema. Also, I know Sally Hawkins winning is more my fantasy rather than an objective prediction, but I just wanted to put it out there in the hopes the universe will reward me.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I've been skeptical of the pundits saying that the producers' guild is the end all and be all of the best picture race because they haven't been wrong since the Academy went to a ten (well, nine, actually) slate, forgetting about how dismal their record was before that. I think it's still a three-way race, but I really hope that American Hustle doesn't become the fourth feel-good winner in a row or we might just as well re-name the Academy Awards the Happy Awards or some other light-headed name.

It's looking more and more like a lopsided year a la 1972 when Cabaret won 8 and Best Picture winner The Godfather won 3. I can see Gravity taking 8 for Director, Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Score, Visual Effects and both sound awards and 12 Years a Slave taking 3 for Best Picture, Supporting Actress and Screenplay while Dallas Buyers Club also takes 3 for Best Actor, Supporting Actor and Hair and Makeup.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Mister Tee wrote:And now, what will DGA do?
Give it to Martin Scorsese just to fuck with us. :P
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

This is the greatest Oscar race ever!!!!!

My three favorite films of the year were:
Gravity
12 Years A Slave
The Wolf Of Wall Street

If any of these three win, I would be very happy. This probably means AMERICAN HUSTLE will win in the end. Still, there will be actual suspense on Oscar night. That is some type of miracle. :shock: :lol:
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Hot damn, this race is on!
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I know several pundits have as been pushing the PGA as the most important precursor because of the 10-film slate with a preferential ballot, just like the Oscars. If that can create a tie like this, does this mean that the race could really be that close? And is this the year where we aren't going to be looked at as idiots if we bet on the split (12 Years/Cuaron)?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The chances of this happening are infinitesimal. It means there were an even number of ballots cast, and that exactly as many had Gravity ahead of 12 Years a Slave as the opposite. (With American Hustle running behind -- though who knows by how much)

Best picture will a mystery right up to the end.

And now, what will DGA do?
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Producers Guild winner

Post by Mister Tee »

This is a divine Oscar season, and nothing can ruin it.

A TIE at the PGA -- between Gravity and 12 Years a Slave!

Return to “86th Predictions and Precursors”