Surprise Inclusions

For the films of 2013
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Re: Surprise Inclusions

Post by Precious Doll »

FilmFan720 wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:
ksrymy wrote:What is it with you people and Into the Woods? Streep will not be nominated for it. No one will. It will get Costume Design and maybe Makeup. That's it.
I think maybe making definitive statements about what nominations a movie that isn't even finished yet will receive is a fool's errand.
I agree...who are we, Gold Derby?
Let's face it. Streep only has to pass gas and the Academy will nominate her.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

Heksagon wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:If there's a surprise inclusion in Best Actor, I think it's Christian Bale who makes it in.
The only thing in this thread that turned out accurate.
Nice one OscarGuy!
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The Original BJ wrote:
ksrymy wrote:What is it with you people and Into the Woods? Streep will not be nominated for it. No one will. It will get Costume Design and maybe Makeup. That's it.
I think maybe making definitive statements about what nominations a movie that isn't even finished yet will receive is a fool's errand.
I agree...who are we, Gold Derby?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I think it's a bit premature to count Into the Woods as either "in" or "out" - it could go either way but Streep's anti-Disney tirade at the NBR award for Emma Thompson gave me a strange vibe. I thought that she might be running offense so she could toss off her lack of a nod next year for sassing "the man".
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Said some people about Les Misearbles and/or Hugh Jackman. Just saying.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

What is it with you people and Into the Woods? Streep will not be nominated for it. No one will. It will get Costume Design and maybe Makeup. That's it.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Sonic Youth wrote:I have a surprise omission. David O. Russell snubbed for Best Director. I may be way off, but with so many competitive races, there may be one frontrunner who unexpectedly gets the shaft.

Anyway..... Happy Oscar Nomination day, my friends. Have fun, everyone!
Well, it was worth a shot....
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Snick's Guy
Temp

Post by Snick's Guy »

Like I posted earlier, never count out Streep when she is in the running - Great to see her extend her record nomination stretch to 18! We should see her hit 19 next year with Into The Woods, and then 20th in a few years later.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

OscarGuy wrote:If there's a surprise inclusion in Best Actor, I think it's Christian Bale who makes it in.
The only thing in this thread that turned out accurate.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I have a surprise omission. David O. Russell snubbed for Best Director. I may be way off, but with so many competitive races, there may be one frontrunner who unexpectedly gets the shaft.

Anyway..... Happy Oscar Nomination day, my friends. Have fun, everyone!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Someone else who would be a surprise: Harrison Ford in 42.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

The Original BJ wrote:I had Leo in my predictions in place of Waltz.
As did I, but it was probably more wishful thinking then logical prediction. The Oscars have snubbed Leo more times than they have nominated him at this point, so even if THE WOLF OF WALL STREET was a huge hit with audiences, critics, and the Guilds, I think the Academy would still choose not to nominate him. I put him in my predictions, but at this point I am just trying to make it happen through sheer force of will.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:NO ONE doubted Waltz would be nominated.
I rest my case.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I had Leo in my predictions in place of Waltz.

Return to “86th Predictions and Precursors”