ASC Guild Nominations

For the films of 2013
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: ASC Guild Nominations

Post by Mister Tee »

Worth noting that Gravity won this last night -- a significant breakthrough from a guild that's resisted all previous 3-D/visual effects-boosted efforts in the past few years. Maybe they just want to ensure Lubezki finally wins.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Re: ASC Guild Nominations

Post by The Original BJ »

Given that we can't have seven nominees at the Oscars, it actually seems pretty likely that the entire Academy roster will come from this slate.

I assume Gravity, 12 Years a Slave, and Inside Llewyn Davis are virtually set.

The Grandmaster has been mentioned here and there as a possible candidate -- this citation seems like a huge get for the movie, especially given that Oscar's cinematography branch has an even stronger propensity for foreign candidates.

Prisoners and Nebraska both seem like viable options to bring up the rear. The former isn't a major contender, but it does have perennial bridesmaid Roger Deakins at the helm. The latter has the much-discussed black-and-white look, though it's worth noting Oscar hasn't fallen for b&w the way critics have, and I do think Nebraska is a lot less "beautiful" than the recent black-and-white nominees in recent years. Either one, or both, could make the cut, though I wouldn't be stunned by an omission for either.

Captain Phillips doesn't really seem like an Oscar cinematography nominee to me; Zero Dark Thirty had far more impressive visuals, and it was left off last year.

I had thought The Great Gatsby might still be an option, but if it couldn't crack this group's top seven, I doubt that's in the cards.
mlrg
Associate

ASC Guild Nominations

Post by mlrg »

American Society of Cinematographers

Sean Bobbitt, BSC for 12 Years a Slave
Barry Ackroyd, BSC for Captain Phillips
Philippe Le Sourd for The Grandmaster
Emmanuel Lubezki, ASC, AMC for Gravity
Bruno Delbonnel, ASC, AFC for Inside Llewyn Davis
Phedon Papamichael, ASC for Nebraska
Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC for Prisoners