WGA Nominations

For the films of 2013
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: Last Minute WGA Predictions

Post by Reza »

flipp525 wrote:
Eric wrote:Still, I have to wonder if Her's only other bid will be in screenplay.
I am really feeling a surprise nod for Joaquin Phoenix for Her come Oscar morning.
Fingers and toes crossed.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Re: WGA Nominations

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:Oh, and, Eric: I haven't seen Her yet (hope to get there tomorrow), but I've been thinking it has a shot at directing, design and song, in addition to film and screenplay. Perhaps I'll change my mind upon contact.
I would love to see Her nominated in Production Design, but it strikes me as the kind of movie that the critics push hard for in that category, but the Academy inevitably avoids. I know it takes place ostensibly in the future, but it's so contemporary-ish, I can't see them citing it any more than say, Being John Malkovich.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I've always seen the WGA as having the most refined taste of the guilds, and then the writers' branch of the Academy as having taste yet more refined.

Which is to say, if Gravity didn't pull a nomination here (where both Titanic and Avatar did), it's almost impossible to imagine it make the Academy screenplay list. One could look at this as a uniquely bad sign for Cuaron, or merely conclude that Cameron never had to face as stacked a line-up of original scripts as we see this year.

(The one exception to this formulation, by the way, was in 2000, when Gladiator showed up on the Oscar list without the WGA nomination)

I'd go along with the idea that Dallas Buyers showing up here boosts the film's chances at making the best picture slot, but even in that event it may not duplicate the screenwriting nod. Inside Llewyn Davis seems far more the writers' branch style.

It's also seeming less likely we'll see recognition for Ryan Coogler or (especially) Nicole Holofcener, who will be telling themselves for years that they'd have had an Oscar nomination if they'd come along any other year.

Or written an adapted screenplay, as this from-hunger bunch is way less impressive then the original group. Will writers opt to honor the Before Midnight crew, or go with a bigger overall film, like Captain Phillips or Wolf of Wall Street?

Oh, and, Eric: I haven't seen Her yet (hope to get there tomorrow), but I've been thinking it has a shot at directing, design and song, in addition to film and screenplay. Perhaps I'll change my mind upon contact.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

ksrymy wrote:I'm shocked to see Lone Survivor make it in over more worthy films. The whole screenplay is just the men saying "fuck."
Sounds like another film in that lineup.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

I have a feeling that Her is this year's Into the Wild
Bog
Assistant

WGA Nominations

Post by Bog »

Eric wrote:Still, I have to wonder if Her's only other bid will be in screenplay.
Are you predicting Jonze to be left off...did you mean "in addition to a Best Pic nom"? I'm staying more optimistic.

Having just gone through all the years with Picture/Director and enjoying your eclectic top 10 mixes and seeing what the Academy has given us post No Country...I would understand your pessimism a film at the peak of an Eric top 10 would only marginally factor in the Oscar noms...let alone 2 of your top 3 vying hard for the ultimate prize.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I am really feeling a surprise nod for Joaquin Phoenix for Her come Oscar morning.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

The Original BJ wrote:Dallas Buyers club continues its surge of energy. My question would be, does this nomination simply help solidify its Best Picture chances (at this point it seems like a pretty solid bet), or will this screenplay nomination also be replicated on Oscar morning? I still feel like Inside Llewyn Davis is right up the alley of the writers' branch.
It has the broad support, that much is clear.

It's actually an interestingly competitive race which best picture nominee will have the fewest overall nominations. I think both Dallas and Llewyn will probably manage to make the shortlist, but both will be supported by precious few other nominations elsewhere -- two acting nods for the former; a screenplay and cinematography nod for the latter. Still, I have to wonder if Her's only other bid will be in screenplay.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

flipp525 wrote:No biggie, but there's a typo in your post, Eric. Second category is obviously "ADAPTED SCREENPLAY."
LOL, copied it directly from their website. Those writers and their typos.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I could have seen a scenario where the populist-leaning tendencies of this organization nominated Gravity, even if Oscar failed to follow suit. I have a VERY difficult time seeing Gravity making the original screenplay list now.

Dallas Buyers club continues its surge of energy. My question would be, does this nomination simply help solidify its Best Picture chances (at this point it seems like a pretty solid bet), or will this screenplay nomination also be replicated on Oscar morning? I still feel like Inside Llewyn Davis is right up the alley of the writers' branch.

Certainly the Lone Survivor nomination came as something of a shock...though I'd be hard-pressed to think about what I would have expected in its place, given the ineligibility of 12 Years a Slave and Philomena.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

I'm shocked to see Lone Survivor make it in over more worthy films. The whole screenplay is just the men saying "fuck." The only scene worth a darn is when they debate letting the shepherds go or killing them.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

No biggie, but there's a typo in your post, Eric. Second category is obviously "ADAPTED SCREENPLAY."
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

As noted by Mark Harris, this makes 3-for-3 in guilds for Dallas Buyers Club. Time to pencil it in. (And, really, hasn't every year since the slate opened beyond five featured at least one completely artistically indefensible pick? Until they go back to five nominees, there will never be such thing as a *pure* roster.)
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

And the nominees are:

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
American Hustle, Written by Eric Warren Singer and David O. Russell; Columbia Pictures
Blue Jasmine, Written by Woody Allen; Sony Pictures Classics
Dallas Buyers Club, Written by Craig Borten & Melisa Wallack; Focus Features
Her, Written by Spike Jonze; Warner Bros.
Nebraska, Written by Bob Nelson; Paramount Pictures

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
August: Osage County, Screenplay by Tracy Letts; Based on his play; The Weinstein Company
Before Midnight, Written by Richard Linklater & Julie Delpy & Ethan Hawke; Based on characters created by Richard Linklater & Kim Krizan; Sony Classics
Captain Phillips, Screenplay by Billy Ray; Based on the book A Captain’s Duty: Somali Pirates, Navy SEALS, and Dangerous Days at Sea by Richard Phillips with Stephan Talty; Columbia Pictures
Lone Survivor, Written by Peter Berg; Based on the book by Marcus Lutrell with Patrick Robinson; Universal Pictures [Editor's note: !!!]
The Wolf of Wall Street, Screenplay by Terence Winter; Based on the book by Jordan Belfort; Paramount Pictures

DOCUMENTARY SCREENPLAY
Dirty Wars, Written by Jeremy Scahill & David Riker; Sundance Selects
Herblock – The Black & The White, Written by Sara Lukinson & Michael Stevens; The Stevens Company
No Place on Earth, Written by Janet Tobias & Paul Laikin; Magnolia Pictures
Stories We Tell, Written by Sarah Polley; Roadside Attractions
We Steal Secrets: The Story of Wikileaks; Written by Alex Gibney; Focus Features
Last edited by Eric on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

WGA Nominations

Post by FilmFan720 »

Last minute predictions:

ORIGINAL
American Hustle
Blue Jasmine
Her
Inside Llewyn Davis
Nebraska

ADAPTED
August: Osage County
Before Midnight
Captain Phillips
The Spectacular Now
The Wolf of Wall Street
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “86th Predictions and Precursors”