LAFCA Winners

For the films of 2013
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Re: LAFCA Winners

Post by ITALIANO »

She's probably a critics' darling by now. I went to Stories We Tell expecting what American reviewers had promised - an intriguing, suprising, twisty Rashomon-like structure, a profound meditation on "truth", and the different aspects of it as seen by different family members - and was honestly shocked at this well-edited but absolutely linear, not unsettling and most importantly unambiguous family story (I mean, frankly, MY family would be much more varied and contradictory in telling stories about our past together!). There is admittedly a "big" secret being revealed at a certain point - not unusual (and actually very frequent in Europe, maybe less so in Canada), but potentially devastating from a very personal, emotional point of view - the problem is, I didn't feel any emotion going on.

I'm surprised at how many prizes this documentary is getting. But I feel that it will be different at the Oscars.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Mister Tee wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:
Okri wrote:Polley's film also has a pretty strong critics-bait hook (I thought LA was a virtual lock, actually)
Now having seen Stories We Tell, I totally get it. It's not that the movie is so overwhelming that it would have to dominate everywhere, but that hook seems like catnip for film critics awarding documentary prizes.
Can you guys clarify what you mean by this? Simply the "everybody has a view of the story, but if you (Sarah) edit it, it becomes your version" slant? Or is there something else I'm missing? I did like the movie, though, honestly, I found the "what is reality?" angle in the last 20 minutes or so less compelling than the drama that preceded. Did like the last beat, though. (And knew he was going to say it before he opened his mouth)
HUMONGOUS SPOILER FOR STORIES WE TELL FOLLOWS DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE:

I mean the reveal that Sarah Polley cast actors to play her family members in much of the "stock footage." While watching the movie, I kept thinking, HOW did she get some of this footage, and though I registered the scene where she was clearly filming actors as her family members, it didn't totally hit me until I saw the cast list in the credits. This seemed to me like the kind of tricky what-is-a-documentary? formal experiment that critics groups typically celebrate.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:
Okri wrote:Polley's film also has a pretty strong critics-bait hook (I thought LA was a virtual lock, actually)
Now having seen Stories We Tell, I totally get it. It's not that the movie is so overwhelming that it would have to dominate everywhere, but that hook seems like catnip for film critics awarding documentary prizes.
Can you guys clarify what you mean by this? Simply the "everybody has a view of the story, but if you (Sarah) edit it, it becomes your version" slant? Or is there something else I'm missing? I did like the movie, though, honestly, I found the "what is reality?" angle in the last 20 minutes or so less compelling than the drama that preceded. Did like the last beat, though. (And knew he was going to say it before he opened his mouth)
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Justin Chang's insider take on the voting and his own ballot.

http://variety.com/2013/film/columns/in ... 200935340/
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Uri wrote:Edit: it’s probably a Tom Daley/Dustin Lance Black kind of logic.
Although, with Magilla's logic, Adams could be Exarchopoulos' grandmother.
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Mister Tee wrote:3) When you get to the spot in the queue I currently occupy, a whole lot more people start to qualify as youngsters.
Alas, that is so true, even from my place in the line…
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

The Original BJ wrote:I thought almost all of the songs in Inside Llewelyn Davis were NOT original.
Not only not original: some, like Fare Thee Well, are as much as a century old.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Uri wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:I'd say her trek has become more difficult with the emergence of Amy Adams as possibility; if she were the only youngster in the pack, she'd have an easier time.
Sorry for nitpicking, but how come a 19yo and a 39yo are put together as “youngsters”? Exarchopuoulos is an unknown French teenager. Adams is an established, seemingly much respected and very busy Holiwood actress, only 5 years younger than glamour queen Blanchet.

It is really the bare skin factor, isn’t it?

Edit: it’s probably a Tom Daley/Dustin Lance Black kind of logic.
A multi-faceted answer:

1) I was (in my head) keeping sure-shot Blanchett out of the discussion. And Amy Adams is for sure younger than the Dench/Streep/Thompson/Bullock crew (in descending age order).

2) This may line up with your "edit", but the fact that Amy Adams is 39 may be one of Hollywood's best-kept secrets. I bet most audiences would figure her for around 30. She's the Dick Clark of actress.

3) When you get to the spot in the queue I currently occupy, a whole lot more people start to qualify as youngsters.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

FilmFan720 wrote:There are rumors, though, that Please Mr. Kennedy won't be eligible because it is based on existing material.
I mentioned this in another thread. Apparently there were several songs titled "Please Mr. Kennedy" in the early 1960s which inspired the song in Inside Llewyn Davis.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Uri wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:glamour queen Blanchet.
This seems like an odd description of her, no?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

There are rumors, though, that Please Mr. Kennedy won't be eligible because it is based on existing material.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

At least one of them, Please Mr. Kennedy, is an original.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

I thought almost all of the songs in Inside Llewelyn Davis were NOT original.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think people just assume the Academy will be fuddy-duddy about them and won't nominate them. Besides, we have to wait to see the eligible list before we know what the actual chances are.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “86th Predictions and Precursors”