2013 Boston Film Critics Awards

For the films of 2013
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Re: 2013 Boston Film Critics Awards

Post by FilmFan720 »

A more indepth look at the discussion over The Wind Rises at the voting session. According to this, the protest was mostly lead by one critic, and three voters abstained.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/criticwire/d ... -repugnant
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

The dilemma many critics faced with The Wind Rises is interesting but ultimately seems a little misguided to me, especially when a pretty significant theme that runs through the film is that of the protagonist expressing a lot of deep misgivings about the fact that his airplanes are used for warfare.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

What does this do?
…The Boston Film Critics Awards is the most prominent of the second tier critics groups. While it's not the same as if 12 Years a Slave won the NYFCC or The National Board of Review's Award, 12 Years a Slave did so well with these guys that it's a pretty major win. I knew it was going to win the moment it got runner up for Best Acting Ensemble.
…The Wolf of Wall Street did pretty great too. Because of this injustice (injustice!), it warrants being seen even. Who's to say it wouldn't have won everything if it was? That's pretty valuable momentum.
…the easiest award to predict this year is Inside Llewyn Davis for Best Use of Music as awarded by every group on the planet. The runner up is Gravity for Cinematography, followed by Best First Film (Fruitvale Station), Best Actress (Cate Blanchett…PROVE ME WRONG, LAFCA!), and Best Animated Film (The Wind Rises).
…the biggest 50/50 coin flip seems to be The Act of Killing or Stories We Tell for Best Non-Fiction Film.
…even though the Golden Globe nominations haven't come out yet, it sure feels like Best Supporting Actor is going to include Jared Leto, Michael Fassbender, Tom Hanks, and Jonah Hill. Can James Gandolfini sneak in past Will Forte, Bakhard Abidi, and James Franco?
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Mister Tee wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Apparently the only announcement Tee couldn't bring himself to type: Judi Dench (Philomena), runner-up for Best Actress
I can see where you might guess that, but the fact is, the source I was using didn't list any runner-up (I assumed because of the first ballot thing).
I thought that might be case. I meant to put a funny face after my comment. I had to double-check it myself because Awards Daily listed her along with Blanchett without indicating she was a runner-up leading me to think there might have been a tie. :)
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

I wish Boston was a more vocal/important group because June Squibb needs to become a frontrunner quickly.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Big Magilla wrote:Apparently the only announcement Tee couldn't bring himself to type: Judi Dench (Philomena), runner-up for Best Actress
I can see where you might guess that, but the fact is, the source I was using didn't list any runner-up (I assumed because of the first ballot thing).
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Apparently the only announcement Tee couldn't bring himself to type: Judi Dench (Philomena), runner-up for Best Actress
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

2013 Boston Film Critics Awards

Post by Mister Tee »

Complete. My earlier expressed instinct -- that 12 Years would have its first real victory (I refuse to count the Boston onliners) -- is borne out. Now we'll see what happens in LA.

Again, if you skip the Boston onliners, we've had four supporting actress awards this week, and four separate winners. Leto's half-win in LA is closest to a repeat in supporting actor. Kudos to the critics for keeping things interesting.

Best Film: 12 Years a Slave (ru: The Wolf of Wall Street) (and yet more grumbling from the critics who haven't seen the film yet -- Wolf is the Margaret of 2013)
Best Foreign Film: Wadjda (r: Blue is the Warmest Color)
Best Director: Steve McQueen (ru: Martin Scorsese)
Best Actor: Chiwetel Ejiofor (ru: Leonardo DiCaprio)
Best Actress: Cate Blanchett (First Ballot)
Best Supporting Actor: James Gandolfini (ru: (tie) Barkhad Abdi/Jared Leto)
Best Supporting Actress: June Squibb (ru: Lupita Nyong'o)
Best Screenplay: Enough Said (ru: The Wolf of Wall Street) (Long and controversial voting. Some critics didn't see Wolf, and abstained as a result. Went to a 4th ballot, and even then needed a show-of-hands run-off between the two)
Best Acting Ensemble: Nebraska (ru: 12 Years a Slave)
Best Cinematography: Gravity (ru: Inside Llewyn Davis)
Best Use of Music: Inside Llewyn Davis (ru: Nebraska, The Wolf of Wall Street)
Best Editing: Rush (ru: The Wolf of Wall Street)
Best Animated Feature: The Wind Rises (ru: Frozen) (NOTABLE: there were abstentions in protest of a film said to be glorifying a creator of instruments of war)
Best Documentary: The Act of Killing (ru: Blackfish)
Best First Film: Fruitvale Station (The Act of Killing)
Last edited by Mister Tee on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “86th Predictions and Precursors”