Washington DC Critics Nominations & Winners

For the films of 2013
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Washington DC Critics Nominations & Winners

Post by OscarGuy »

When coming up with figures, exclude last year. Had the directors nominated Ben Affleck, he would have won, so a phenomenon that has only happened four times should not skew numbers.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

The Original BJ wrote:
ksrymy wrote:I'm 100% convinced now we're having another split Picture/Director race this year.
Seriously? You're ONE HUNDRED PERCENT convinced? In December? That a scenario that happens very infrequently will unquestionably happen beyond any shadow of a doubt?
Well , it happened 33% of the time during the last 15 years.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

ksrymy wrote:I'm 100% convinced now we're having another split Picture/Director race this year.
Seriously? You're ONE HUNDRED PERCENT convinced? In December? That a scenario that happens very infrequently will unquestionably happen beyond any shadow of a doubt?
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

I'm 100% convinced now we're having another split Picture/Director race this year.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

And the winners are...

THE 2013 WAFCA AWARD WINNERS:

Best Film:
12 Years a Slave

Best Director:
Alfonso Cuarón (Gravity)

Best Actor:
Chiwetel Ejiofor (12 Years a Slave)

Best Actress:
Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)

Best Supporting Actor:
Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Supporting Actress:
Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years a Slave)

Best Acting Ensemble:
12 Years a Slave

Best Youth Performance:
Tye Sheridan (Mud)

Best Adapted Screenplay:
John Ridley (12 Years a Slave)

Best Original Screenplay:
Spike Jonze (Her)

Best Animated Feature:
Frozen

Best Documentary:
Blackfish

Best Foreign Language Film:
The Broken Circle Breakdown

Best Art Direction:
Production Designer: Catherine Martin, Set Decorator: Beverley Dunn (The Great Gatsby)

Best Cinematography:
Emmanuel Lubezki, ASC, A.M.C. (Gravity)

Best Editing:
Alfonso Cuarón, Mark Sanger (Gravity)

Best Original Score:
Hans Zimmer (12 Years a Slave)

The Joe Barber Award for Best Portrayal of Washington, DC:
Lee Daniels’ The Butler
Eenusch
Graduate

Re: Washington DC Critics Nominations

Post by Eenusch »

I'd love to see James Franco get a nomination just to watch Anne Hathaway look exceedingly uncomfortable making the presentation on Oscar night.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I like him, but I'd never call him humble.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Eric wrote:but the possibility that there are a bunch of people in the industry who just can't stand him as a person.
Count me in. Everyone thinks he's this overly-smart, humble method actor, but he's one of the biggest college fratboy douchebags in the business.

I will never forgive him for getting a Columbia professor fired. The man shows up to no more than five classes, and the professor fails him for not completing any work - the university scraps the teacher.

The guy also runs around kissing men in public to "toy with" the paparazzi when he's really just getting out his latent homosexual urges. Mark my words, he'll come out of the closet in the next five years. He's been in one public relationship throughout his career, and it ended shortly after.

His nomination for Best Actor was also an awful choice.

And his hosting the Oscars. That's the most unforgivable thing.

Seriously, fuck James Franco.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I'm guessing the roadblock for Franco isn't the character he plays or the movie he's in, but the possibility that there are a bunch of people in the industry who just can't stand him as a person. Still, his is the softest category this year by far.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

In case you haven't seen his campaign, Image
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ksrymy wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Does this James Franco in Spring Breakers thing have any legs? It seems like Best Supporting Actor is the one category where surprises can still be had.
It's not going to happen. Not only is it an Academy-unfriendly movie (even moreso that the Kechiche film this year), but I don't think a single character like this has ever been nominated by the Academy.
Noted. Franco did just tie for the the LAFC Best Supporting Actor award with Jared Leto.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

flipp525 wrote:Does this James Franco in Spring Breakers thing have any legs? It seems like Best Supporting Actor is the one category where surprises can still be had.
It's not going to happen. Not only is it an Academy-unfriendly movie (even moreso that the Kechiche film this year), but I don't think a single character like this has ever been nominated by the Academy.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Does this James Franco in Spring Breakers thing have any legs? It seems like Best Supporting Actor is the one category where surprises can still be found.
Last edited by flipp525 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

When are the winners being named?
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Guess they didn't care for the way their city was (briefly) depicted in 12 Years A Slave.

Return to “86th Predictions and Precursors”