NYFCC Winners

For the films of 2013
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: NYFCC Winners

Post by Big Magilla »

Ah, yes, Emma Thompson in 1993. However, neither Jennifer Jones in 1944 nor Emma Thompson in either of her two 1993 nominations were in the conversation for a win those years. There are those who seriously think Jennifer Lawrence not only has a strong shot at a nomination this year, but another win putting her in dangerous Luise Rainer Oscar jinx territory.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Heksagon wrote:Except for Emma Thompson in 1992 and 1993
Oh true. Bravo.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Except for Emma Thompson in 1992 and 1993
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

There have been other former lead winners nominated in support and several winners including Helen Hayes (the first in 1970); Ingrid Bergman; Maggie Smith; Jack Nicholson and Gene Hackman, but Jennifer Jones is the only one to be nominated in support the year after winning in lead.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

And by the way, in case Jennifer Lawrence gets a nomination this year (and she definitelly will), will it be only the second time that an actress is nominated in consecutive years, first as Leading and then as Supporting? I remember only that other Jennifer, but there have been probably others.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

"What does this mean for 12 Years a Slave?"

There's really no sense on Earth jumping the gun on a conversation that's going to be essentially meaningless by tomorrow when the NBR could very easily give their Best Picture Award to 12 Years a Slave. What did the NYFCC tell us this year?

…American Hustle is in. However vanguard this group might have been in the past, we are talking about a group that has only failed to nominate a Best Picture nominee once in the past ten years. And had 2006's roster been expanded to 10, United 93 would be in there. And they haven't just given their award to second-stringers either. These are heavies. Chalk Zero Dark Thirty up as the weakest, and it certainly didn't seem that way at the time. Whether or not it can win, is another story. I'll be watching it tomorrow night at the Sherman Oaks Arclight. My buddy, A.A. Dowd, just watched it today and said it was a total blast. This Oscar season isn't likely to have as many ups and downs as last year's, but American Hustle certainly seems like it's back up.

…Robert Redford needed this. With what seemed to me to be a dialogue veering more towards Bruce Dern, Redford was in danger of being the other old guy. A win? Maybe not. They tend to flip for movie stars a bit too often (like Pitt and Clooney recently) but he needed this.

…is the win for Bruno Delbonnel a rejection of the CGI-scaping that has dominated the Oscars? And what has the medium of film come to when we cherish a more grounded approach to cinematography, like Bruno Delbonnel?

…Best Actress might be done. I don't think we needed the NYFCC to tell us this though. Interesting fact: this is Cate Blanchett's first award from the group. Yesterday, Cate Blanchett had as many NYFCC Awards as Jared Leto.

…this is going to be a very boring dinner with Steve McQueen and David O. Russell likely in a race for most medicated speech. Redford, Blanchett, Leto…Jennifer Lawrence is going to feel like a blessing.
"How's the despair?"
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

God bless Lou Lumenick!
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I'm glad Lumenick provided actual numbers -- it makes it easier to get a solid picture of it. (Wells' source wasn't bad, but he seems to have overstated the role Inside Llewyn Davis played under film and director)

However...Lumenick seems to imply 12 Years got screwed in the final best picture vote, but, the way I read these numbers, it was American Hustle that almost got screwed. Hustle had a lead on both the 2nd & 3rd ballots; it was only when (because of the-majority-of-ballots technicality) they went to a fourth tally that 12 Years even tied Hustle. So, its victory doesn't seem lucky. (EDIT: I now see I misread, that Slave actually had a 2-point lead on ballot two, but trailed by 8 on ballot three. In any case, it doesn't scream "12 Years had it in the bag but then some people went home")

On the other hand, Nyong'o seems to have been hosed -- moving from a small but certain lead to a 1-point loss -- and, damn, Cate Blanchett nearly suffered the same fate at Amy Adams' hand. Adams was clearly the beneficiary of the anyone-but-Blanchett voters; can you imagine how we'd have reacted if she'd picked up those 7-8 more points and won?

The early round voting is in a lot of ways more representative of collective opinion -- it includes all critics (including those sending proxies), and it precedes any coalescing around/against candidates. So I note that films that got no mention earlier in the day -- Gravity and Nebraska -- made showings under best picture (the former under director, too). Also that Her WAS apparently a presence, despite coming home with nothing. Wolf of Wall Street is the main I-thought-it-was-a-contender that didn't show up at all)

Earlier in the day I wondered if American Hustle's victory was of the United 93 ilk -- a compromise choice arrived at when two other films refused to give ground. But it won three prizes, contended for more, and apparently was a strong contender from the get-go. So, it's now a factor in the best picture race.

More important, 12 Years a Slave lost the opportunity to establish itself as the behemoth -- the film so undeniable it rampaged through the critics' voting, the way the film to which it has been analogized -- Schindler's List -- did 20 years ago. (Is that really 20 years ago?) I'm in agreement with Eric, that 12 Years still feels like the movie that could check off the most best picture boxes in the end, but I feel it's not going to have the smooth path bloggers had been calling for. I don't necessarily expect American Hustle to win anywhere else, but I think there's the possibility of multiple films being chosen by the top organizations (only fitting in a year where so many films have received enthusiastic response) We'll see what NBR does tomorrow (I think 12 Years has a great shot there), and I'll really be interested to see what LA gives us on Sunday -- for the past two years, LA's top two haven't included any of NY's top three. It may be the rare year where consensus doesn't form monotonously early.

Similarly in best actor: I'm with BJ in feeling little enthusiasm for a Redford win (has anyone else seen his film, to comment?)...but I'm happy not to see premature agreement forming around one performance -- in this case Ejiofor's, the one actor who could have slipped into Philip Seymour Hoffman territory, sweeping the critics and turning a promisingly broad group of strong contenders into an afterthought.

Blanchett still has potential to do that, but there I say at least it reflects a critical consensus: no one else in view has got close to the response Blanchett's performance did. Where, in Ejiofor's case, Redford, Dern and McConnaughey were equally well-received.

Though I would love to see Leto eventually win the Oscar (I raised the notion when I wrote about the film weeks back), I hope he doesn't turn into a rote choice for all the other groups like so many have in recent years. There's other fine work out there (Fassbender certainly, Hill by report), and everybody deserves a day in the sun before the final balloting's done.

In supporting actress, apparently we need to figure Jennifer Lawrence into the equation alongside Nyong'o and Squibb (though sight unseen I question Lawrence being staggering enough to win back-to-back). Do people still think Oprah is going to infiltrate this pack?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

A little more detail from N.Y. Post's Lou Loumenick:

Inside the New York Film Critics Circle vote:

One of the bigger surprises in the circle's voting in recent year came with Tuesday's best movie win by "American Hustle,'' which squeaked by "12 Years a Slave'' on a highly unusual sixth ballot (including one ballot that was discarded, with its results unread, on a technicality).

The circle uses an arcane voting system for its multiple ballots, which open with a round in which each member (proxies are allowed at this point) is asked to make a single choice. This almost never results in a win. For subsequent rounds, each member (except those voting by proxies) make three choices -- ranked in descending order, with three points awarded for the first, two for the second, and one point for the third.

But there's also a requirement that winners appear on a majority of ballots for he second and third round, or there's no winner. If this happens, there's a fourth round where the majority rule is dropped (I told you it was complicated). But if this fourth ballots should produce a tie, then there's a fifth run-off round between these two titles. And the number of ballots fluctuates because proxies are ineligible on latter ballots, and as the day wears on members have to leave early because of work obligations.

This is what happened in the case of "American Hustle,'' which beat "12 Years a Slave'' by a 14-to-12 margin at the end of the meeting, which ran slightly over five hours.

An hour or so earlier, it seemed like "12 Years a Slave'' was a near-lock for best picture. Steve McQueen lead by a healthy margin in third ballot -- 37 to 30 for Alfonso Cuaron ("Gravity'') and 26 for David O. Russell ("American Hustle.''). McQueen landed on enough ballots to clinch the fourth and final round: McQueen 47, Russell 32, Spike Jonze ("Her'') 31.

"12 Years a Slave'' had a much narrower margin for the second best picture ballot over "American Hustle,'' 34 to 32. The third ballot was discarded (and the results not revealed to the membership) because some proxies accidentally were included -- a no-no at this point -- and a new third ballot was taken: "Hustle,'' 38 points, "12 Years'' 30 points (with 16 apiece for "Gravity'' and "Nebraska.''

The fourth resulted in a 38-38 tie for the frontrunners, with "Gravity'' and "Her'' tied in a distant second place with 17 points apiece. By this point -- it was near 3 o'clock and we had been there since 10 -- several members had left, and "American Hustle'' pulled off its squeaker in the tiebreaker round.

Would the results have been different if the pace of voting had been a bit brisker? If the third ballot hadn't been botched? We'll never know.

Tallies of the leaders in some of the other closely watched races:

ACTRESS. Second ballot: Cate Blanchett 44, Adèle Exarchopoulos 30, Amy Adams 29; Third ballot: Blanchett 47, Adams 40, Exarchopoulos, 34.

ACTOR: Second ballot: Robert Redford, 44, Chiewetel Ejiofor, Oscar isaac, 27.

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Second ballot, Lupita Nyong'o 46, Jennifer Lawrence 40, June Squibb 34. Third ballot, Lawrence 40, Nyong'o, 39, Squibb 27.

SUPPORTING ACTOR: Second ballot, Jared Leto 49, Michael Fassbender 24, James Franco 24.

ANIMATED FILM: Second ballot, The Wind Rises 52, Frozen 33, Monsters University 15.

FOREIGN LANGUAGE: Second ballot, Blue is the Warmest Color, 37; The Past, 23, The Great Beauty 23. Third ballot, Blue is the Warmest Color 40, The Past 32, The Great Beauty 20.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Appreciate this.
FilmFan720 wrote:Our first glimpse into the room:

http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2013 ... ,+attitude
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From New York Magazine's Vulture.com:

This afternoon, the New York Film Critics Circle gathered to pick their annual list of best movies and performances. Last year, Zero Dark Thirty won best picture. This year, that honor went to David O. Russell's American Hustle. Other notables include Steve McQueen for best director (12 Years a Slave), Jared Leto for supporting actor (Dallas Buyers Club), and Jennifer Lawrence for her appearance on Letterman where she talked about poop and supporting actress in American Hustle. According to our critic David Edelstein, who is one of the NYFCC's members, the final vote for Best Picture resulted in a rare tie-breaker. NYFCC by-laws prevent the actual numbers from being released, but Edelstein said there was a strong American Hustle camp and a strong 12 Years a Slave camp (reflected in McQueen's best director win), and that the vote was remarkably close, with some members expressing "visible dismay" when the final number was tallied. (For his part, Edelstein was "dismayed at the ease with which Cate Blanchett’s phony baloney performance [in Blue Jasmine] was recognized.”)
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

American Hustle was a big surprise. Can't wait to see the vote breakdown, if someone reports it.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

flipp525 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:Of the four acting winners here, for once it's sure that all four will be nominated. And deep inside I know that two will even win.
Lemme guess...Blanchett and Leto?

Yes.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ITALIANO wrote:Of the four acting winners here, for once it's sure that all four will be nominated. And deep inside I know that two will even win.
Lemme guess...Blanchett and Leto?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “86th Predictions and Precursors”