Best Picture and Director 2000

1998 through 2007

What are your picks for Best Picture and Director of 2000?

Chocolat
2%
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
23%
Gladiator
3%
Erin Brockovich
5%
Traffic
18%
Ridley Scott - Gladiator
No votes
Stephen Daldry - Billy Elliot
8%
Ang Lee - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
23%
Steven Soderbergh - Erin Brockovich
3%
Steven Soderbergh - Traffic
17%

Total votes: 66

ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: Best Picture and Director 2000

Post by ksrymy »

OscarGuy wrote:There's no need. Everyone can change their votes whenever they like.
Is this only for certain members? Because I can never find where to do this.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

nightwingnova wrote:I might be voting for Lee. Not ready yet. If so, I'll vote for Scott to correct the problem. Let me know otherwise.
OscarGuy wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Now I have one Ang Lee and one Ridley Scott out of alphabetical order as someone voted for Lee in what should have been Scott's slot.
That's because you didn't have them in the right places. Alphabetically, Lee comes after Daldry, so I selected the second entry thinking it was in the right order and having forgotten (intentionally or not) that Scott was also a nominee.
Not a problem. At the time there was only one vote for Lee and none for Scott so I saved the vote for the second Lee as a vote for him and changed the Lee with no votes to Scott.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

There's no need. Everyone can change their votes whenever they like.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

I might be voting for Lee. Not ready yet. If so, I'll vote for Scott to correct the problem. Let me know otherwise.
OscarGuy wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Now I have one Ang Lee and one Ridley Scott out of alphabetical order as someone voted for Lee in what should have been Scott's slot.
That's because you didn't have them in the right places. Alphabetically, Lee comes after Daldry, so I selected the second entry thinking it was in the right order and having forgotten (intentionally or not) that Scott was also a nominee.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Voted for Crouchuing Tiger and Ang Lee.

My picks for 2000:

Best Picture
1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
2. Wonder Boys
3. Billy Elliot
4. Gladiator
5. Traffic

The 6th Spot: Memento

Best Director
1. Ang Lee, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
2. Curtis Hanson, Wonder Boys
3. Stephen Daldry, Billy Elliot
4. Steven Soderberg, Traffic
5. Christopher Nolan, Memento

The 6th Spot: Ridley Scott, Gladiator
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Now I have one Ang Lee and one Ridley Scott out of alphabetical order as someone voted for Lee in what should have been Scott's slot.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You have two Ang Lee's.
Wesley Lovell
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

easy choice: Traffic and Soderbergh (for Traffic)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Picture and Director 2000

Post by Big Magilla »

Some people rank Oscar years. I've never done that, but I'm sure if I did Oscar year 2000 would come out near the bottom of the first 85 years.

The Best Picture race seemed to be strictly between Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Steven Soderbergh's Traffic. Period. The other three nominees were jokes. Well, Erin Brockovich was at least entertaining. Gladiator was a throwback to the sword and sandal epics of the 1950s and early 1960s when no one dreamed of nominating Demetrius and the Gladiators; The Silver Chalice; Land of the Pharoahs; Solomon and Sheba or Sodom and Gomorrah for Best Picture. Chocolat was a bon-bon for some people, a toothache for others, including me. At least Stephen Daldry got a Best Director nod and Lee Hall a writing nod for Billy Elliot, which should have been among the Best Picture nominees, but Curtis Hanson's Wonder Boys' highest achievement was a writing nod for Steve Kloves as was Almost Famous for Cameron Crowe who actually won. Edward Yang's Yi Yi, my pick as the year's best film, wasn't even eligible due to a technicality - something about papers not being filed.

So what won? Gladiator! Huh? At least it was a step up from Braveheart which pulled the same sort of upset five years earlier, and unlike Mel Gibson's blue paint special, did not take its director along with it. Soderbergh handily won that award, having been the first director nominated twice in his category in the same year since Michael Curtiz in 1938.

With Yi Yi and Billy Elliot out of the race for Best Picture, I have to go with my third choice, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Best Director is a conundrum for me. I think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Traffic were the best directed of the nominees, but this is my only chance to vote for Billy Elliot so my vote goes to Stephen Daldry for what is likely to be the only one he gets.

Return to “The 8th Decade”