22%
Tom Wilkinson - Michael Clayton
5%

Total votes: 41

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Best Supporting Actor 2007

Post by Big Magilla »

I voted for Hal Holbrook whose lovely performance in Into the Wild was quite different from anything I'd seen him do before.

I've only seen The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford once, and all I really remember about it is Roger Deakins' breathtaking cinematography. The story, as I recall, meandered, though the actors, particulalry Casey Affleck were good. At any rate, I included him as an also-ran along with shouldabeen Best Actor winners Javier Bardem, good but over-rated in No country for Old Men; Tom wilkinson, good as usual in Michael Clayton but neither as good as they were in Before Night Falls and In the Bedroom, respectively.

My fifth slot went to Max von Sydow for his brief but memorable turn as Mathieu Amalric's father in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, narrowly edging out Irfan Khan's fine work in The Namesake.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Best Supporting Actor 2007

Post by Big Magilla »

[quote="ksrymy"}The other nominee I'd throw in would be Vlad Ivanov for his unnerving work as the menacing freelance abortion doctor in 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days. The film was released in America on January 25, 2008 so I believe that makes him eligible. [/i][/quote]

Well, no, the film must open in a Los Angeles area theatre by December 31st and play consecutively for seven days. The film, which won the Best Foreign Film Oscar under a different set of rules may have had an Oscar qualifying run in L.A. January 25, 2008 is the New York opening date. It was nominated for a Golden Globe in the Best Foreign Film category for 2007 and won the Chicago Film Critics award for Best Foreign Film of 2007, so it may have been eligible for Oscar consideration in other categories.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Best Supporting Actor 2007

Post by ksrymy »

This is one of the few Hoffman performances I would not nominate. He's pretty much the perfect also-ran for each year.

I think I might be one of the few people in America who wasn't too terribly impressed by Javier Bardem's performance. I've seen the film multiple times and find nothing spectacular about his performance. His character/presence was nominated if anything. EDIT: Re-watched. He's quite better than I remember. Menacing and subtle.

I really like Michael Clayton. Really, really like it. The cast is wonderful and Tom Wilkinson kills it in his scene-stealing bits. He's completely convincing as batshit insane. "You're a manic depressive." "I am Shiva the god of death," is such a wonderful little exchange and we completely feel like we've seen Wilkinson nakedly chase his client through a freezing cold parking lot... but we haven't. Wilkinson's work here is wonderful.

But I'm interested in seeing whether all your love of category fraud will keep you from voting for Casey Affleck or if you really think Hal Holbrook is better.

Hal Holbrook's, at face value, is a career nomination. I thought that until I saw the film. He's heartbreaking in his few scenes. When he asks Emile Hirsch is he could adopt him because his family line ends with him and Hirsch leaves I just about cry every time. And if you've read my opinions, you'll know I never nominate or vote for career-ending performances. Henry Fonda in On Golden Pond and Hal Holbrook here are a few exceptions. Holbrook is truly moving.

But screw category fraud, Casey Affleck deserves this more than anyone else. You can blame the precursors for labeling him supporting (only Utah, London, and Chlotrudis cited him as lead. And when you're second-billed to Brad Pitt, you're supporting). Affleck is dynamic in a role I never would have suspected to win an Oscar.

The other nominee I'd throw in would be Vlad Ivanov for his unnerving work as the menacing freelance abortion doctor in 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days. The film was released in America on January 25, 2008 so I believe that makes him eligible. I'd also cite J.K. Simmons in Juno as the stern, loving father (another role I don't normally nominate).

My picks
4. Tom Wilkinson, Michael Clayton
5. Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men

6. J.K. Simmons, Juno
Last edited by ksrymy on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “The 8th Decade”