15%
Kate Winslet - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
46%

Total votes: 74

dws1982
Emeritus

Re: Best Actress 2004

Post by dws1982 »

I would say Swank is tentatively my pick, but Million Dollar Baby is the only other of these films that I've seen since that Oscar race. I actually just rewatched it about a month ago. I think it mostly holds up (although as an Eastwood fan, I do like a lot of his other post-2000 films better), and I do think Swank is a deserving winner, although I also think Swank's performance is less interesting than what Eastwood and Freeman are doing. Eternal Sunshine and Maria Full of Grace are both streaming on platforms I have, so I'll probably catch those next. (Being Julia was on HBO for the longest, and I remember next to nothing about it, but I just couldn't work up the interest.)
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

dws1982 wrote
Rewatched [I}Vera Drake[/I] for the first time since 2005 since it was about to leave the Criterion Channel. I'm not a Leigh hater the way Damien was, or a massive fan. I know Staunton was the big critical favorite, but I really think that Leigh (and the movie in general) does her a big disservice in the second half of the film, in the way that her performance and character kind of just dissolves into scene after scene of crying in front of interrogators, solicitors, everyone. She's quit good in the first half, but even then, I think a better movie would've had the character of Vera to have some kind of conflict, if not about what she does, then about the fact that she's doing harm without intending it. But she remains fully oblivious to it.

I also have an issue with the fact that the working-class ladies all receive abortions due to poverty hardship, while the one upper-class woman receives it because of rape, as if we couldn't sympathize with her for any other reason.
Who has your vote? Swank?

Interesting that as the years go by this particular race remains pretty dear to me for reasons that are difficult to articulate. I think it's because at the time it represented seeing two wonderful actors trying again and losing, Hillary Swank receiving miraculous good luck in winning again, and two total unknowns getting a warm welcome with a nomination. It's one of the rare races where anyone could have won and it would have felt good.
"How's the despair?"
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Rewatched Vera Drake for the first time since 2005 since it was about to leave the Criterion Channel. I'm not a Leigh hater the way Damien was, or a massive fan. I know Staunton was the big critical favorite, but I really think that Leigh (and the movie in general) does her a big disservice in the second half of the film, in the way that her performance and character kind of just dissolves into scene after scene of crying in front of interrogators, solicitors, everyone. She's quit good in the first half, but even then, I think a better movie would've had the character of Vera to have some kind of conflict, if not about what she does, then about the fact that she's doing harm without intending it. But she remains fully oblivious to it.

I also have an issue with the fact that the working-class ladies all receive abortions due to poverty hardship, while the one upper-class woman receives it because of rape, as if we couldn't sympathize with her for any other reason.
Last edited by dws1982 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

I recently saw Maria Full of Grace and enjoyed Sandino Moreno in it, a lot - in her first film role the seams do show, but by the time the credits roll you feel you know so much about Maria, this ordinary girl who makes these terrible decisions, and you care for her deeply despite her questionable behaviour. It is remarkably lucid and very natural, and a very odd but welcome nomination at the Oscars (although what surprises me more is the run she had at the precursors eg SAG - a Colombian first-time film actress in a microbudget Spanish-language film about peasants smuggling drugs in their colons?).
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

bizarre wrote:
mayukh wrote:So lovely to see someone cite Jennifer Garner. She also makes my ballot this year – it's a very charming performance.
Yeah, I love her in that film. There are some problems with the way she plays versus the way the actress playing her as a young girl acts (the two styles don't really gel) but the performance is so fresh, intuitive and guileless. I think if Amy Adams could get some Oscar traction for 'Enchanted' than Jennifer Garner should have gotten some for this.
Jennifer Garner should've been nominated in support for Juno. She was the only person in that film resembling a human being.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
bizarre
Assistant

Post by bizarre »

L.m.f.a.o.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

mojoe92 wrote:
ksrymy wrote:He's an administrator of this site. He was the first member and the creator. He can ban accounts as well as IP addresses. OscarGuy appreciates your contribution to the site but does not approve of your unethical ballot-stuffing. You don't know how to run the website. OscarGuy is a good man so I know he won't choose to intervene again but please end this moronic charade you're putting on. Nobody believes you.

Yeah, whatever dude. You seem to be the only one with a problem here. Your not worth my time. So you can go be a troll with someone else cause I don't want any part of your crap
We take the Academy Awards seriously and you abused your voting privileges. I merely point out where you shamelessly cast your votes so we can hopefully rectify the situation and get the true statistics back.

And Logan, I'm being mature. The two administrators of the site both know that he made fake accounts to stuff the ballot box. I'm merely going through and finding where the instances occurred. And the proof is down the page where I quoted OscarGuy where we notices all the fake accounts came from the same IP address mojoe uses.

I have no more to say.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
LoganJ20
Graduate

Post by LoganJ20 »

I may be new to this board but seriously. What's the big deal? Is there proof that mojoe did it? Like actual proof? If not, then I guess no one will ever no. And mojoe, if ksrymy wants to keep track of everything that is his choice. But seriously BOTH OF YOU act like adults
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

ksrymy wrote:He's an administrator of this site. He was the first member and the creator. He can ban accounts as well as IP addresses. OscarGuy appreciates your contribution to the site but does not approve of your unethical ballot-stuffing. You don't know how to run the website. OscarGuy is a good man so I know he won't choose to intervene again but please end this moronic charade you're putting on. Nobody believes you.

Yeah, whatever dude. You seem to be the only one with a problem here. Your not worth my time. So you can go be a troll with someone else cause I don't want any part of your crap
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

mojoe92 wrote:
ksrymy wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:It isn't very hard to verify whether an account is a duplicate and I have done so. All of your duplicate accounts have been banned and will be deleted. You are permitted one account and we very much appreciate your participation, but using multiple accounts to stuff the ballot box of polls is unethical and shameful. I will not tolerate such activity on my board. If you wish to participate in a singular capacity, I welcome you. If you wish to continue to make bogus accounts, you will be permanently banned on all accounts.
As posted on your Oscar's Biggest Disappointments (Best Supporting Actress 70-89) thread.

You really are that dumb aren't you? IN ORDER TO BLOCK ACCOUNTS YOU HAVE TO BLOCK THE IP ADDRESS THAT THEY ARE USING.....that's basic fkin knowledge. I'm still around. Which proves it wasn't me
He's an administrator of this site. He was the first member and the creator. He can ban accounts as well as IP addresses. OscarGuy appreciates your contribution to the site but does not approve of your unethical ballot-stuffing. You don't know how to run the website. OscarGuy is a good man so I know he won't choose to intervene again but please end this moronic charade you're putting on. Nobody believes you.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

ksrymy wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:It isn't very hard to verify whether an account is a duplicate and I have done so. All of your duplicate accounts have been banned and will be deleted. You are permitted one account and we very much appreciate your participation, but using multiple accounts to stuff the ballot box of polls is unethical and shameful. I will not tolerate such activity on my board. If you wish to participate in a singular capacity, I welcome you. If you wish to continue to make bogus accounts, you will be permanently banned on all accounts.
As posted on your Oscar's Biggest Disappointments (Best Supporting Actress 70-89) thread.

You really are that dumb aren't you? IN ORDER TO BLOCK ACCOUNTS YOU HAVE TO BLOCK THE IP ADDRESS THAT THEY ARE USING.....that's basic fkin knowledge. I'm still around. Which proves it wasn't me
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Did you not read OscarGuy's post saying that you are allowed to stay but your other accounts are banned? Stop it with the act already. You're being utterly juvenile about it. And votes cannot be deleted even if the account who posted it is banned.
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

ksrymy wrote:
mojoe92 wrote:
ksrymy wrote:Missed the ballot-stuffing for Moreno.
Did you ever think it was due to people liking her performance? You really are a debbie downer on here
http://uaadb.cinemasight.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=640

Yes, these were the original results. Then you joined with your spammy fake accounts and then she received all your votes. The link shows what the results SHOULD look like.
Your kidding right? In case you forgot, cause your head is so far up your own ass with these damn results, but the administrator said he was getting rid of the person spamming by banning them. Obviously I'm still here. So get off your high horse buddy. I haven't spammed anything. Just accept there are people here who probably voted without typing anything below or how ever the hell they do it.
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

mojoe92 wrote:
ksrymy wrote:Missed the ballot-stuffing for Moreno.
Did you ever think it was due to people liking her performance? You really are a debbie downer on here
http://uaadb.cinemasight.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=640

Yes, these were the original results. Then you joined with your spammy fake accounts and then she received all your votes. The link shows what the results SHOULD look like.

Return to “The 8th Decade”