Hilary Swank - Million Dollar Baby
15%
Kate Winslet - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
46%

Total votes: 74

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I posted a question here, but realized it would be off-topic, so I've moved it to the proper area:

http://uaadb.oscarguy.com/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=26;t=12862

Edited By OscarGuy on 1269279789
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I voted for Swank more by default than anything else.

I didn't care for Eternal Sunshine - in fact I thought Winslet was better in the overall disappointing Finding Neverland.

I found Bening merely serviceable in Becoming Julia. Sandino Moreno was fine as the Colombian mule, but it was more her character than her performance that was being celebrated. She hasn't been very interesting at all in subsequent roles.

Staunton was really good as Vera Drake, but I find something off-putting about Mike Leigh's films in general and this was ultimately no exception though she comes closer to winning an award from me than anyone else in his films ever has.

So, yes, I thought it was a very dreary group of nominees playing mostly dreary characters.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I still have not watched Vera Drake...I really should do something about that.

The other four nominees are nothing to complain about, and I don't begrudge any of them their nominations. Bening is the weak link here, but it is certainly a fun performance.

The category belongs to Winslet, though, in a lovely, change of pace performance. She is the heart and soul of that film.

Julie Delpy and Nicole Kidman (for Birth) were unfairly ignored.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Soon we will have a much, much worse Best Actress race. This, by early 2000s standards, was more than acceptable.

And if ever Hilary Swank really had to win an Oscar, it should be for Million Dollar Baby - a far better movie than Boys Don't Cry, and a bearable, though certainly not groundbreaking, performance.

I'm not a fan of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but Winslet isn't bad in it and certainly better than in the one she would finally get her Oscar for. I would never vote for Annette Bening in Being Julia, even just because it was the most expensive movie ticket of my life - a few pounds (I saw it in London) for the movie itself, and then about 200 pounds more because it finished later than I expected, the traffic was a nightmare and I missed my flight back to Milan so had to pay for a new flight the day after (and one more night in London). The performance isn't bad either though. Carolina Sandino Moreno was also good in Maria Full of Grace, and I always like when actresses from foreign countries are nominated, but in this case a nomination was all she should get.

There's one really good acting turn here though, and that's of course Imelda Staunton's in Vera Drake - like all intelligent actresses, and with the help of her intelligent director, her performance works both as a believable, intimate portrayal of a human being and, on a larger scale, as a commentary on it and its social ties.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think this year's lineup is pretty awesome. I have no idea what you're talking about. I voted for Imelda Staunton. Although I would have personally loved to have seen Kate Winslet win for this performance, Staunton's is the superior work. I think Annette Bening, Catalina Sandino Moreno, and Hilary Swank are all nomination-worthy, but I would cite Julie Delpy for Before Sunset and Nicole Kidman for Dogville as better.

Best Female Lead
1. Julie Delpy, Before Sunset
2. Imelda Staunton, Vera Drake
3. Kate Winslet, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
4. Laura Linney, Kinsey
(I haven't seen Kinsey in some time, but I remember Linney being integral to the story enough to be considered leading; I have less problem with her being delegated to supporting than usual though)
5. Nicole Kidman, Dogville
6. Hilary Swank, Million Dollar Baby
7. Catalina Sandino Moreno, Maria Full of Grace
8. Annette Bening, Being Julia
9. Nicole Kidman, Birth

Edited By Sabin on 1269286348
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Big Magilla wrote:Has there ever been a drearier list of nominees?
Pretty much every year in the aughts ending in an odd number, if you ask me.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Pretty weak year, but not the worst ever.

Voted for Annette Bening - Being Julia
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Big Magilla wrote:Has there ever been a drearier list of nominees?

Absolutely yes, I could name numerous years. However three of these ladies more then deserved their nominations. Actually Staunton & Swank gave two of the best performances of the decade.

I've never been a fan of Benning, can't think of anything I've liked her in, so it was sort of funny that she (deservingly) lost to Swank again.

Edited By Precious Doll on 1269329357
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Best Actress 2004

Post by Big Magilla »

Has there ever been a drearier list of nominees?

Return to “The 8th Decade”