Marisa Tomei - In the Bedroom
28%
Kate Winslet - Iris
6%

Total votes: 50

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Connelly's performance is one of the worst of the decade. It is truly a non-performance in a worse-than-non-movie. I don't recall Kate Winslet doing anything special in Iris, which I hate to say I have to now consider a stronger nom than her Oscar-winning performance in The Reader. When critics threw their weight around Mirren, they voted for her role and not her performance. She's quite good, but IMO the best performance in Gosford Park was Kelly MacDonald. It's between Smith, who is a lot of fun in Gosford Park, and Tomei, who attempts something weightier in In the Bedroom but struggles with her accent really quite a bit. In a disappointing lineup amidst a fantastic year, I toss my vote to Smith.

My Picks
1. Gwyneth Paltrow, The Royal Tenenbaums
2. Frances O'Connor, A.I. Artificial Intelligence
3. Kelly MacDonald, Gosford Park
4. Scarlett Johansson, Ghost World
5. Anjelica Huston, The Royal Tenenbaums
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I like Iris a lot more than most others here, but Kate Winlset doesn't have much to do in the film, and it is probably her least impressive nomination. More than any other, this is a case of Winslet getting a nomination for being Kate Winslet.

Jennifer Connelly is an actress I like a lot, and surely should have been nominated the year before in Requiem for a Dream, but even she can't overcome the trite that is A Beautiful Mind.

Helen Mirren and Maggie Smith are both very good in Gosford Park, although I feel like both could play these parts in their sleep. Emily Watson is far superior in the same film, and should have been nominated.

My vote here goes to Marisa Tomei, in the best of her nominated performances (although I like all 3 quite a bit). She gives a marvelous turn, holds her own strongly in a wonderful ensemble, and gives a real heart to the film.

The best supporting turn of the year, however, was Gwenyth Paltrow in The Royal Tenenbaums.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Kate Winslet - Iris
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Damien wrote:My Own Top 5:
1. Uma Thurman in Tape
You're voting for the Whore, Damien? :p

As for me, Jennifer Connelly is immediately out. I didn't mind her Oscar win because I'm currently pretending she won for Requiem for a Dream. She's a great actress but her movie was blah.

Kate Winslet and Marisa Tomei were both very good in their respective nominated performances but neither blew me away.

Maggie Smith was quite enjoyable in Gosford Park. But I personally would've nominated Kelly MacDonald over her any day but I'm fine with her nomination.

My vote goes to Helen Mirren. She only had a small part in the huge ensemble but she took that small part and made herself standout in a huge cast of forminable mostly British actors.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:Helen Mirren's nomination here is as perplexing to me as her nod for Madness of George -- she doesn't DO anything. Pretty nice to be so beloved because of a TV show that all you have to for an Oscar nomination is show up on screen.
Damien I disagree. In my opinion Mirren deserves her nod compared to her previous one for Madness. I don't think you got the subtle nuances Mirren conveys in the character she plays of a long suffering servant. Watch her face whenever she is on screen. She conveys so much with just a glance or a movement with her lips.

My picks for 2001:

Helen Mirren, Gosford Park
Maggie Smith, Gosford Park
Marisa Tomei, In the Bedroom
Kate Winslet, Iris
Emily Watson, Gosford Park
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Maggie Smith is the only standout in this wan group of nominees. Gets my vote.

Helen Mirren's nomination here is as perplexing to me as her nod for Madness of George -- she doesn't DO anything. Pretty nice to be so beloved because of a TV show that all you have to for an Oscar nomination is show up on screen.

Kate Winslet is at best serviceable in a not-very-interesting movie.

Connelly and Tomei were irritating in irritating movies.

My Own Top 5:
1. Uma Thurman in Tape
2. Scarlett Johanssen in The Man Who Wasn’t There
3. Illeana Douglas in Ghost World
4. Frances O’Connor in A.I.
5. Jennifer Coolidge in Legally Blonde

Edited By Damien on 1290757268
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

The best performance by an actress in a supporting role in 2001 was by Helen Mirren, who whilst outstanding in her nominated role in Gosford Park, was even better in Last Orders.

Gosford Park certainly had rich pickings in the supporting actress category aside from the justly nominated Maggie Smith & Helen Mirren, there was also Eileen Atkins, Kelly Macdonald and Emily Watson.

My pick of the performances nominated though was Marisa Tomei for In the Bedroom, though I thought her supporting co-star Celia Weston was even better.

Kate Winslet was quite good as the young Iris (better then Dench at the old Iris), though Jennifer Connelly was dreay and robotic in A Beautiful Mind.

My choices:

1. Helen Mirren for Last Orders
2. Maria Hofstatter for Dog Days
3. Celia Weston for In the Bedroom
4. Kelly Macdonald for Gosford Park
5. Marisa Tomei for In the Bedroom

Also of note were Rachel Blake, Daniella Farinaci & Leah Purcell in Lantana, Rachida Brakni in Chaos, Nicole Garcia in Betty Fisher and Other Stories, Marcia Gay Harden in Gaudi's Afternoon, Gerti Lehner in Dog Days, Amy Madigan & Martha Plimpton in The Sleepy-Time Gal, Helen Mirren, Maggie Smith & Emily Watson in Gosford Park and Marisa Paredes in The Devil's Backbone.

A great year for supporting performances in this category.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The precursors were all over the map this year. Helen Mirren was, in fact, the only SAG nominee to repeat in this category, although it should be noted that SAG nominated Jennifer Connelly in the lead category.

I think Connelly's performance in A Beautiful Mind was supporting. On the other hand I don't think it was good enough for a nomination let alone a win.

I didn't like Iris at all. I would have nominated Jim Broadbent for Moulin Rouge! instead and given the supporting actor award to the non-nominated Steve Buscemi in Ghost World. I would have nominated Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive over Judi Dench. I think Dench's best performance this year was in The Shipping News and wouldn't have minded her taking the fifth slot in this category for that film over Winslet, but even better, I would have liked to have seen the under-rated Fionnula Flanagan nominated for The Others.

Marisa Tomei was terrific in In the Bedroom and certainly merited her nomination this time, no question about it.

The best acting, though, was in Robert Altman's Gosford Park in which at least three of the women in the ensemble deserved to be nominated. Two of them were. Helen Mirren was marvelous as the housekeeper, but no more so than Eileen Atkins as her nemesis, the head cook.

The creme de la creme, however, was Maggie Smith channeling Edna May Olvier and a dozen other imperious old ladies of Hollywood's Golden Age as the family dowager. She should have gotten her third Oscar. She easily gets my vote.

Return to “The 8th Decade”