20%
The Pianist
31%

Total votes: 61

nightwingnova
Assistant

Re: Best Picture: 2002

Post by nightwingnova »

Chicago was fascinatingly and vitally kinetic. It overflowed with artistic and technical creativity and engagement, topped off with the classic set of songs and good performances.

I've seen the theatrical version of The Two Towers. Waiting for the right time to see the extended version. That is how it should be finally judged.

The Pianist was excellent as far conventional Holocaust films go.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Amidst some ambitious films (comprising the most unobjectionable lineup this past decade)...my vote is a toss-up between the two light entertainments. At the time I rooted for the ridiculously watchable Chicago, but now I'd probably side with Rings's middle chapter. Both are lots of fun, but Rings's power has stuck with me more.

Gangs of New York has flashes of brilliance but is wildly uneven. The Pianist is moving and marvelously carried by Brody, but strikes me as oddly conventional. And The Hours is a watered-down, totally obvious adaptation of a wonderful novel.

None of the nominees approached the greatest works of this year, American (Far From Heaven, Adaptation) or otherwise (Y Tu Mamá También, Talk to Her). Thank god for the writers' branch!
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Chicago is so overrated film...
I voted for The Hours...
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Bruce, not to fan the flames, but I may agree with you. I would place it in my top 5 of the year, and need to revisit it because I feel it could go higher.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Bruce_Lavigne
Graduate

Post by Bruce_Lavigne »

It started something of a flame war a few years ago which I have no interst in revisiting, but I maintain that Gangs of New York, despite its flaws, is going to stand as one of the 21st century's landmark works of cinematic art.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'The Two Towers' is the only truly great film of the trilogy, and the only one to deserve a screenwriting nomination which naturally it did not receive. It's my choice. I was lukewarm on 'The Pianist' when I first saw it, but it's really a fascinating piece of work that deserves to be revisited.
"How's the despair?"
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I don't understand the acclaim for Chicago, but out of that list of uninspiring nominees (when you knew the middle LOTR would not win for sure), I'll give it the award. Perhaps it was a reaction to the whole mood shift in America post-9/11...?
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

Chicago was one of the most entertaining experiences I had a movie that year. Filled with music and pizzazz. Performances that dazzled, inlcuding a surprisingly likable one by Richard Gere, the sole snub out of the main cast.

The Pianistwas well-directed by Polanski, but Brody was underwhelming in the lead. I gave my award to Al Pacino, although Tom Hanks or Jack Nicholson were also fine in their films.

The Two Towers continued the success of the trilogy.

They didn't nominate Minority Report, Road to Perdition or Spirited Away, which all made my list.

The Hours had some great actors, but was depressing. Gangs of New York was ambitious but choppy. It only scored an art direction award from Criddic.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

OscarGuy wrote:This is one of the great mysteries of this decade to me: how could anyone call The Pianist a great movie? Ugh. What a dreary and passionless film. I don't think I could have cared less for a lead character in a Holocaust film.
Give it a second chance Wes.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

chicago
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

This is one of the great mysteries of this decade to me: how could anyone call The Pianist a great movie? Ugh. What a dreary and passionless film. I don't think I could have cared less for a lead character in a Holocaust film.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rudam
Graduate

Post by rudam »

chicago
nobody not even the rain has such small hands
-c.c. cummings-
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

Chicago. I watched it multiple times even though I don't really like Zellweger. The songs are all very catchy.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

The Pianist, but again I think it's sort of a black comedy.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Chicago - they made teh right choice.

Return to “The 8th Decade”