Charlize Theron, Monster
49%
Naomi Watts, 21 Grams
18%

Total votes: 65

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

A pretty horrible line-up. I wouldn't have nominated any of these women, so picking one seems a little bit meaningless. If push comes to shove, I would probably go with Watts, although the performance is in no way her best work.

The further the Oscar gets from Theron's performance the better. I say that with slight regret, though, since this performance is one of my great Oscar coups. I want to say around September or early October of that year, as news of the film began to trickle out, I called her win when no one else even would put her in the lineup. I persisted throughout the season, and it was the one out-there early prediction I ever made that came true.

Damien already cited Jennifer Connelly, who gives the years best performance in The House of Sand and Fog. Other worthy considerations include Scarlett Johanssen in Lost in Translation, the wonderful Charlotte Rampling in Swimming Pool, Patricia Clarkson in The Station Agent and Katie Holmes in Pieces of April.

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1269000632
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Charlize Theron, Monster
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

It's between Castle-Hughes and Keaton in my mind. Keaton's role is such a gift. Meyers may not be a very good screenwriter, but she wrote a great part for Keaton who made the absolute most of it.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Geez, what a year.

Keisha Castle-Hughes -- likable enough kid, but the dull little film seems like an Afternoon Special, and the performance is from that genre

Samantha Morton -- the relationship between her and Paddy Constantine never seems interesting or well-defined, and that's at least partially Morton's fault

Charlize Theron -- Atrocious. One of the worst performances ever.

Naomi Watts -- Excellent actress, but you would hardly know it from 21 Grams, a movie's whose earnestness transforms into goofiness.

So that leaves Diane Keaton. She's delightful in Something's Gotta Give, and actually creates a real person out of the cliches and implausibilities Nancy Meyers wrote on paper. And she seems like a woman in her late 50s who is still a sexual being -- how often do you see that in American movies?

My Own Top 5:
1. Romola Garai in I Capture The Castle
2. Oksana Akinshina in Lilya 4-Ever
3. Jennifer Connelly in The House Of Sand And Fog
4. Valérie Lemercier in Friday Night
5. Scarlet Johansson in Lost In Translation and Girl With A Pearl Earring

Edited By Damien on 1269010528
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Another glorious year awaits your vote.

Return to “The 8th Decade”