Alan Arkin - Little Miss Sunshine
22%
Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men
2%

Total votes: 45

abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Wow, that was simple. Clooney. Although I would put Caine in second.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

flipp525 wrote:George Clooney. I still don't get that performance at all. Should've gone to Jake Gyllenhaal or William Hurt that year.

I agree. But I guess the Academy felt Clooney had to get an Oscar, considering his achievements that year, and he was not going to take Ang Lee's.

EDIT: I voted for Arkin, but I think Clooney's award that year should have gone to Jake.

Edited By kaytodd on 1204594603
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Arkin. I hated everything about that road trip.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Clooney. And I love Clooney. 'Out of Sight'. 'O' Brother, Where Art Thou?'. 'Three Kings'. 'Intolerable Cruelty'. Great performances, better than the films in the case of the last one. But 'Syriana' indulges him at his worst, which is still to say better than most out there. Just not Oscar-worthy. Apolitical Clooney trumps political Clooney any day. His Jack Foley is the stuff of legends.

Alan Arkin narrowly misses out by being a shining light in a bumpy road trip.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

George Clooney. I still don't get that performance at all. Should've gone to Jake Gyllenhaal or William Hurt that year.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

This list is remarkable and really doesn't deserve votes if void of other nominees each year. I too reluctantly voted for Caine, but because I was hoping for Michael Clarke Duncan to prevail :;):
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

This one was touch, there's not really a stinker in the bunch (what a difference from the distaff side!) but the least impressive/deserving are Clooney, Arkin and Caine. The latter two are better actors overall -- and Clooney really wasn't deserving at all -- but neither Clooney nor Arkin won over wonderful performances like Haley Joel Osment in The Sixth Sense, or Jude Law in The Talented Mr. Ripley (and yes, even Cruise in Magnolia). Caine admitted as much in his generous acceptance speech that year, so I somewhat reluctantly vote for Michael Caine.

EDIT: Seriously, first Eastwood, now Morgan Freeman? Who hates Million Dollar Baby that much??

Edited By Akash on 1204501277
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

rudeboy wrote:Tough call between the snarling Coburn and Broadbent's sitcom fuddy-duddy. In the end went with Broadbent.
Coburn is remarkable in my opinion. Broadbent is my choice. I´ve seen better performances from him.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Tough choice between Arkin and Clooney, who seemed to have reverted to his "head down-eyes up" style of brooding, *cough*, I mean acting. But ultimately I went with Arkin, who was nothing more than LMS's consolation prize (IMO, Screenplay was not quite sewn up). Also, I don't care for LMS. It's a shame Clooney didn't get his Oscar for Michael Clayton or Good Night and Good Luck. In other years, he would have easily won.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I hadn't realized how wonderful this list was. In the end, I gave it to Clooney, who probably gave the most uninteresting performance here.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Tough call between the snarling Coburn and Broadbent's sitcom fuddy-duddy. In the end went with Broadbent.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

More.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”